GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The GDR Podcast - Episode 8 Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: The GDR Podcast - Episode 8 Reply with quote

Previous Episodes
Podcast Archive

Episode 8 - Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 - 7:00PM EST

Topic ideas
  • Working in teams: describe how it was to work with people other than just yourself
  • The "Groove": Sort of like motivation, but talk about your rituals/whatnot that you do in order to get into gear for coding
  • Resources: What are your favorite sites to visit for information? Where do get your vast knowlege? Books?
  • Hidden Stats: Do you use them? What do you think about them? (Having just played Crisis Core -- good lord hidden stats galore!)
  • User Generated Content: How do you handle it? How do you want to handle it? Good implementations you've seen
  • Audio: Discuss audio's role in your game development
  • High scores: Rockin' it old school? Discuss. What makes of breaks high-score games for you?
  • Choices: what library/platform are you using/targetting and why?
  • Trix are for kids: favorite development trick/hack/etc
  • Python: Love it, or hate it, but you can still use it to make games!
  • Indie buying: Talk about an indie game you bought and why. What made it worth the money?

My brain is broken right now, so the topics are kind of meh. As always, looking for more ideas. I need help this time around!

----

[edit] Grab the podcast here (or refresh your reader). It's just about 1 hour long: http://gdrpodcast.com/index.php?id=10

Edited by sonrisu on Sat May 03, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 6 times
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Galaxy
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathen! If you have something specific to SMG that we can discuss, I think I'd go for it. Otherwise, you're banned from the podcast for life.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds in games. How important is it to you? Effects and music. Do you do sound first? In the middle? At the end?

User-generated content. Relating to the recent discussion of things such as one-click level uploading. How do you handle it? How do you / can you best encourage users to submit content?

High scores. Do scores matter to you in games at all? Or is it just another arbitrary statistic? Do you put scores into your game?

Hidden statistics. I have seen a little discussion on this before on the board. A game might determine various gameplay elements (accuracy, whatever) by statistics that you accumulate throughout the game but do not see.

Communication during multiplayer. Can you have a good multiplayer experience without any ability to communicate? The Wii does it. How does that affect your enjoyment of the gameplay experience? Can text chat suffice, or do you consider voice chat vital to an optimal multiplayer experience? This would probably vary by genre.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added. I wasn't sure whether there would be much to discuss about multiplayer communication from a pure development standpoint, so I left it out for now. If people are pining to talk about it, then I will add it back in.

What I'd really like to do is start to get some fresh different ideas out on the table. We haven't talked about anything development specific in a while regarding such things as: programming languages, platforms, licensing, libraries, etc. I think we're hurting for a few more topics like this, but I cannot seem to come up with anything good and/or specific I'd like to discuss that would lead to intelligent conversation.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python and the irrational fear of whitespace delimitation.

:P
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can certainly discuss the merits of Python for gamedev, and how to get started in getting on the pygame train. One of the more interesting topics regarding that would be covering how rapidly you can get something up and running.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a potentially interesting subject would be explaining your choice of development platform/mode. Some people are into 2D, 3D, DirectX, OpenGL, Pygame, Allegro, Low res, high res, et alia. Is it due to practicality, or preference, or profitability? Or something entirely else?

Also, how about talking about your favorite programming or design trick? Something specific that you include in every project whether you finish it or not.

Quote:

What I'd really like to do is start to get some fresh different ideas out on the table. We haven't talked about anything development specific in a while regarding such things as: programming languages, platforms, licensing, libraries, etc. I think we're hurting for a few more topics like this, but I cannot seem to come up with anything good and/or specific I'd like to discuss that would lead to intelligent conversation.

Oh... how did I miss this post? Weird.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those ideas. This is something people are going to have to think about beforehand, though. A 1 minute discussion of your library of choice is a bad discussion. :)
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't what's his name report horrible results using pygame? Due to python being interpreted and garbage collected, performance was erratic?

Hmmm, just like Java around 2000.....
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I what's-his-name?
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who are you?
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm what's-his-name! :P
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Didn't what's his name report horrible results using pygame?

I remember Mandrake having some ill will toward Pygame after using it for a while.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw it quickly in the garbage bin when I tried it, but that was when pygame was still a new product, probably still in beta. I haven't tried to see if it runs better now.

Back then I wanted raw power, now I'm having fun cooking up things that run on a NES, so I might try it out again.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes Mandrake is the whats-his-name I was thinking of... But mikedoty can be whats-his-name too. Don't want anyone feeling left out and remembered.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pygame is actually not that great for the graphics in my opinion. I pretty much recommend using Pyopengl for the graphics and using pygame for the input and sound. You would have a hard time getting great performance in Pygame for a sidescroller, from my experience.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that if you're looking for speed with python, you're much better off going pyopengl--hands down.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that does sound like a better combination than just pygame. Now to get rid of my terrible fear of python. I think it's the synthax that scares me...
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil wrote:
Okay, that does sound like a better combination than just pygame. Now to get rid of my terrible fear of python. I think it's the synthax that scares me...

That's entirely understandable. I've been learning me some python lately and it is kinda wierd. The built in lists and tuples take some getting used too... Plus there's no switch() {} statement. Weird.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added python to the topic list. People seem interested enough that it might be useful to talk about pygame and pyopengl and the pros and cons of using it for game development. I do realize I just threw mikedoty the hugest bone, right there.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to know why python is so great. What are the real advantages over anything else.

I love a VM like with Java or .net, but interpreting high-level for python always seems like a bridge too far.

I did enjoy php though, but the only thing high level there is the friggin eval statement (talking php3/4, ages ago)
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
I added python to the topic list. People seem interested enough that it might be useful to talk about pygame and pyopengl and the pros and cons of using it for game development. I do realize I just threw mikedoty the hugest bone, right there.

He he, you talk like you just added Super Mario Galaxy to the topic list or something. :D
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to know why python is so great. What are the real advantages over anything else.

Well, I was pulling files off a mainframe with pythons built in ftp functions in about 5 lines of code. I thought that was pretty exceptional.

Plus the python+Qt combo gives you a platform that rivals and maybe even exceeds .net (or java) for sheer 'get shit done quick'.

The possibility for great power is there, but when I contemplate implementing a non-trivial commercial application I have in mind, the performance penalty makes python a non-option.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QT?

Also, I used Linq for objects in .net today, which is AWESOME, and I imagine that python would be similar to work with.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.