GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Diversion Page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Diversion Reply with quote

In development images

It's about time I start opening the doors on this. Obviously I've been working on the Mutiny Engine for some time now (about two and a half years as of this post).
About a year ago I felt it was time to begin developing an actual game with this engine. Originally this was meant to be a simple mini game. At the time I was in serious need of a short term goal. Thus Diversion was born. And I was a happy developer.
And then, like most of my projects (and others here), it ballooned into a bigger project. I kept coming up with cool ideas and exciting features. But I figured, fuck it, I'm enjoying this, there's no timelines, so I just ran with it.. and I'm still running with it.

So WTF is this game? Well it's changed a bit over the time of it's original design. I won't bother to explain the original vision. But here's what it's going to be.

[EDIT]: Since this posting the game has ballooned a bit more. What follows describes one of three game modes that will be in the final game..

There's a city, and your in it. Your some kind of military guy. The camera is 1st or 3rd person (it can be toggled at any time).
It's a sandbox kind of deal. You can roam around as you wish, pick things up, use vehicles, etc.

I'm sure most of you have played Missile Command. Bombs fall from the sky, and they must be shot down before they level everything. This is the same situation, except this isn't point and click from afar. You are in the city being bombed. In addition to the bombs, there are also cruise missiles. You are to use any means necessary to eliminate the threats. Failure results in the fully destructible city being annihilated, most likely with you along with it.

Video

City being created (28MB WMV)
This shows Mutiny in Build Mode. I've also got an older video showing Build Mode in more detail here (8MB WMV)

City being destroyed (3MB WMV)
This is a test doomsday bomb. The bombs in the game generally aren't this huge! The detonation code at the time of this video was pretty new, compounded by the size of this blast and the fact that I was capturing video, this is a bit choppy.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 18 times
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon mon franšais, but that is fucking pretty :) That explosion is epic. I like when it catches up with the jet and it is just disintegrated. The razing of the city is a bit too complete though. If the bomb was big enough to totally wipe out the buildings and such, there should be a HUGE crater. I'm interested in seeing how the effect has progressed since you made the video.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you finally opened the doors to this project. Awesome. I'm hoping we can expect a nice constant flow of good imagery and awesome super happy fun videos. But the real question lingers: when is there going to be something we can actually play?
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that is soooo kick ass. You've got some really nifty models in there too. Can't wait to see more!
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I've reworked my shaders. I came to realize that one dynamic light source per object simply will not do. So my Low and Medium detail shaders once again support two lights, as does the High detail shaders.

The visual quality of the Medium shaders had to take a minor hit for make that happen. In fact, they're almost identical to the Low detail shaders now. In the future I'll most likely eliminate the Low ones altogether.

So basically your options are, Pixel Shaders 2.0 or 3.0
If your card supports it, use the High (3.0) Shaders and enjoy the extra detail.
Otherwise your stuck with the Medium setting = No reflections, no specular highlights and spot lights with hard edges. You still get bump mapping though so it's not completely horrible.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to get some gameplay stuff done, I made a Death Cam :D

This is basically like what you see in most 3D games. When you die, if your in first person mode the camera will switch to an overhead view of what's left of your character and any madness going on around you.

I tweaked it so if your above ground level it'll point in the direction you were going. i.e. If you die in an aircraft, the camera will attempt to capture your plane smashing into the ground.

I've also updated the code that tells your character how to hold stuff. Before I had it where every Thing in the game has it's own bit of code to do this. That was highly redundant in a growing number of cases.
So what I've done was define a bunch of Handling Styles. Then each Thing has a value specifying which one to use. Stuff like,
gun_pistol
gun_rifle
sword
dead_rat
generic

Most two handed guns use the gun_rifle Handling Style. This has the character holding the the weapon as you'd expect with both hands. When you press the Aim button, he brings the sights up to his eye.

The generic Handling Style is the default and is for common stuff you'd find laying around. This gives all basic objects the ability to be picked up and thrown without my having to define these actions per Thing.

That's really how shit should have been to begin with but I didn't anticipate the amount of Things I've ended up within the game and it doesn't look like that number will be getting smaller anytime soon.

Anyway, nothing too exciting, just wanted to let you guys know progress was happening.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sirocco, I've been taking some time off to get some real-life shit done. Thought I'd make a similar post so you guys don't think to project is dead or something.

Over the years I've learned that sometimes you've just got to take a break. Most of the time when this happens I don't even know why. It's like it's pushing me away. Now days I know to listen when that happens. Fighting it results in misery, and last time I recall, I do this for fun.

I moved not long ago and have had a ton of "around the home" things to do. Setting up my home theater was one of em, getting furniture etc. etc. I guess I need to have my life in order before I can comfortably sit on my ass for hours on end coding a video game.

The code's starting to call me again.
I wake up in the mornings dreaming up pixel shaders and such. It's good to be back in that mental place again. I might fire things up again this weekend. If not then, maybe the next,.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that work on Diversion has resumed!
It's so good to be back in my groove again. Can't wait for the weekend now. Shit's gonna get done!

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to be back in coding action. Here's my new rearview mirror. I basically takes advantage of all the shaders and shit I've been doing up till now.
To create it I only had to supply the engine with the mesh, max-reflectivity setting, and a bump map to make it slightly convex.
I also added a cubemap location to all cars. Any reflective surface uses the nearest cubemap object.

The result is realtime reflections in the mirror. I'm planning on adding side door mirrors as well simply because I can without any performance penalty. They'll all reference the same cube map so it's not like each one has to render anything more then it's own surface.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty sweet. Judging from the amount of work you put into piloting of the aircraft, can we assume that eventually there is going to be a steering wheel and speedometer gauges in the car?
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there will be a steering wheel and in-dash gauges. I plan on adding a little more detail to the cockpits as well.
In the top/left of the first shot you can see the old land-vehicle HUD. This is no longer functional. I'm removing all on-screen HUD stuff (that's actually the last of it). All such displays will be rendered in-world on control panels, weapons etc.

Screenshot Screenshot

Here's the new door-mounted mirrors. There's one on each side but you can't really see the passenger one while in the car. Perhaps I'll add head movement while driving..
Anyway, they're mirrors, they act as you'd expect. It took awhile to get them angled just right.
The door mirrors use a different bump map from the first one. The later having a wide view and the former a more omni convex shape. I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's about time I quit fussing with technical stuff and start making a game out of this thing. To get my ass in gear I outlined the various Game Modes that will be in the game. Now with some direction I think I can get this thing moving.

Code:

Diversion Game Modes:

Invasion

Interception

Survival

Each mode consists of 5 Waves of increasing difficulty.
There is no interruption of gameplay between Waves. An onscreen message and/or sound indicates that a new Wave has begun.
Scores are saved for each Wave in each of the Game Modes. Score Totals (All Waves) are saved if all Waves in a Game Mode are completed.

Initially, all Game Modes except Invasion are locked.
Requirements for unlocking the other modes are displayed by highlighting each Game Mode on the Main Menu.

########################################################
INVASION

------------
Weapons:

Motion Tracker equipped from the start
At least one of each one-handed weapon is scattered around the map.

------------
Vehicles:

Cars
Bomber A2S    Wave-5

------------
Rules:

The player starts on foot and fights a set number of comical space invaders using typical FPS methods.
The goal is to eliminate as many enemies as possible.
The game ends after a set amount of time expires or the player dies.
Killing all enemies before time expires begins the next Wave.
At the beginning of each Wave the clock is set to a specific time allotted for that Wave (time is not extended).

------------
Scoring:

Score is based on the number of enemies killed.

INTERCEPTION

------------
UnLockable:

This mode is unlocked by completing Wave-1 in Invasion.
This requirement is merely to demonstrate that the player has a handle on the game's controls and should be easy to obtain by any player.

------------
Weapons:

One or more of each weapon is stockpiled at the military base and no where else.
Additional weapons may spawn in specific locations at the beginning of each Wave.

------------
Vehicles:

Cars
Diversion    Wave-1
Turrets CL    Wave-2  (Initially Controlled by Enemies)
Bomber A2A    Wave-3
Javelin        Wave-4
Diversion EX    Wave-5

------------
Rules:

The player starts in-flight using the Diversion.
The goal is to protect the city from a variety of attacks.
The game ends after a set amount of time expires, the player dies or the city is destroyed.
Each Wave begins after a set amount of time specific to that Wave.

------------
Scoring:

Score is based on the amount of damaged caused to the city (this may include just the buildings or a more broad set of objects).

SURVIVAL

------------
UnLockable:

This mode is unlocked by completing Wave-5 in Interception.

------------
Weapons:

At least one of each weapon is scattered around the map.
Motion Tracker is not equipped but is close by from the beginning.
Additional weapons may spawn at the beginning of each Wave.

------------
Vehicles:

Cars
Bomber A2S    Wave-2
Turrets AC    Wave-3 (Initially Controlled by Enemies)
Javelin CL    Wave-4

------------
Rules:

The player starts on foot.
The goal is to survive.
Each Wave begins after a set amount of time expires specific to that Wave.
The game ends when the player dies.
Additional Hit Points are given to the player's character at the beginning of each Wave.

------------
Scoring:

Score is based on the Hit Points of the player's character.

Things to note:

Cars are just normal cars. They'll get you around but little else.

Diversion is the Fighter looking aircraft you've seen in many of my screenshots. It has an AutoCannon and sidewinder-like missiles. There's also an EX variant with more firepower (yet to be determined).

Bomber is the aircraft with the bubble-like cockpit. It has a Air-To-Surface (A2S) loadout and an Air-To-Air (A2A) loadout.

Javelin is a land based vehicle primarily designed for Anti-Air. The CL variant has it's Flak guns replaced with Cluster Rocket Launchers.

Turrets are fitted with AutoCannons or Cluster Rocket Launchers.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got all the structure for the above gameplay stuff done. There's now a main menu with the various game modes to pick from. Stuff like frag and time limits per Stage, High Scores are in. Although the High Scores are not actually saved or displayed yet.

There's a timer for when you die. So if you get brained, the game switches to Death Cam and you get to watch the stuff going on around you till that timer expires (about 3 full seconds), then you get the Results Screen that shows your kills, time remaining, score and whatever other stats.
Also, the game won't trigger a You Win situation once that timer has started. So you can't die, but then win the game because some NPC happened to wonder off a cliff during that time.

Speaking of NPC's, there's no AI yet. I'm planning a really really basic zombie like AI for this. The meat of this game will be the Interception mode so I don't plan on spending too much time tweaking AI.
Of course knowing me I'll end up spending 2 years perfecting it.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversion is now a playable game! I'm no longer just working on an engine. What's even better, and I'm actually having fun playing it :D

It's still kinda early but I'm already looking forward to releasing this.
No ETA yet but I should have new screenshots soon.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
Diversion is now a playable game! I'm no longer just working on an engine. What's even better, and I'm actually having fun playing it :D

It's still kinda early but I'm already looking forward to releasing this.
No ETA yet but I should have new screenshots soon.

-Bean
That's bloody awesome. Looking forward to play it.
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for some screenshots:

Huge Image
I thought this was pretty :)

My new Pistol model

Wannabe Max Pyne. JPEG kinda fucked it but there's reflections of buildings on the gun.

As you can tell, I'm still using oldass character models. This fucker will be a bitchin space invader someday.

I've got two post-it notes full of weapons and shit I've got to make. I'll be spending the next week or two modeling stuff and adding em into the game.

-Bean
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the palm trees are awesome. :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the people in the last shot are visiting the Ministry of Silly Walks. Seeing all the crazy shit that goes into making a decent 3D game makes my head explode.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program are you using to do your modeling?
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using old TrueSpace. I've given just about every other app a try. And most of them can do what I need to do (and much much more), but why relearn a very complex app when what your using already works fine?

Sirocco, I'm hoping that once this engine is done (well, it won't ever be "done" but let's say 1.0), I'll be able to crank out games without having to redo all of said crazy shit again. I think of the time spent now as an investment.

*is glad the koneko likes his trees*
Just don't get stuck in one, k? :)

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy, I now have an Uzi :D
I'd take a screenshot but you already know what it looks like.

The existing M16 has been a bit recoded. It now shares the same "machine gun" code as the Uzi. The two guns have different settings. The Uzi does a tad less damage and has a wide spread. It can also be used one handed (you can duel wield it).

I added a little bit of zoom when aiming with all guns. I think it makes sense even when the gun has no scope or anything simply because a human will concentrate on his/her target, focusing less on peripheral.

Speaking of scopes. I'm going to be redoing the Rifle. Currently it does like most games, you press a button and bigass crosshairs are drawn over the screen while game renders using a smaller FOV.

I'm going to get rid of the bigass crosshairs that paint over top the display, use render-to-target to draw the zoomed-view onto the scope's lens within the game world. When you press Aim the character will bring the rifle up to his eye and you will actually be looking "through" the scope.
Like with the other guns, the FOV will shrink a little bit but what is seen through the scope will be where the real zooming takes place.

This will allow you to still see a bit around you (like in real life if you open both eyes).

It's possible this idea could flop due to technical hurtles. I think I can make it work though.

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really really cool. I'm way impressed with both the engine and the game vision. Keep it up and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I just watched the Doomsday vid posted at the top of the page. How the hell did I miss that post so many months ago???! That was freaking sweet :)
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on the guns some more.

Here's the rifle as described before. Turned out alright. Need to tweak the brightness and the crosshair a little, but the technical stuff is done and working.

edit: I made it so the rifle can shoot multiple targets as long as things along the way explode. i.e. you can shoot through glass and other weak objects.
Multiple people? If the first guy is hit at a weak point, yes.

-Bean
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.