GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The GDR Podcast - Episode 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: The GDR Podcast - Episode 13 Reply with quote

Previous Episodes
Podcast Archive

Episode 13 - Saturday, October 4th, 2008 - 7:00PM EST

Alright. This is a big deal. Episode 13 marks an entire year's worth of podcasting episode goodness. While the first episode was a littler later in the month of October, I think it's fair to say that we've successfully completed a year's worth of podcasting. To be honest, I've been considering what the future of the podcast is going to be and whether we can keep it alive and kicking for a lot longer than it's been running now. I guess we'll see how that goes.

For this special episode I've thought about doing bunches of things -- stuff like retrospective episodes, or maybe an episode recapping all the JT's and outtakes. I'm not sure 12 episodes is really enough for that, so a regular podcast discussion is still on the table. If it turns out that people don't have much to contribute this month, I can fall back on doing retrospective jt/outtakes. I don't really want to listen through all 12 episodes to find the "good stuff", though.

So, that said, here are some topic ideas for this important episode, probably shorter than most:
  • Slacker! What the hell have you been doing this whole year? Yeah, it's time to recap on what you've accomplished since the first episode, or at least the first episode that you have appeared on. Or, really, what the crap did you accomplish since last October.
  • Best of: What was the best thing to happen at GDR since last October? Any awesome projects that got you inspired? There must have been something!

[edit]
It's live: http://gdrpodcast.com/index.php?id=17 | ~10.4MB, 45:22

RSS works now

Edited by sonrisu on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 am; edited 4 times
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, sounds like plenty of time to talk smack about Megaman. I cannot wait.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're gonna have a grand time. I take it I can count you in for the roster?
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you guys setting these up? You know, in case I have time to participate one day. Maybe you could add some info to the GDRCast site?
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madgarden, we do them on skype, nothing fancy. They're on the first Saturday of each month unless holidays coincide... at 7 P.M. Eastern. We usually gather on the irc a short while before and then just get on skype. =)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty much sums it up, but I can add information on how to join in the sticky podcast thread.

Quote:
They're on the first Saturday of each month unless holidays coincide... at 7 P.M. Eastern

Or if I decide otherwise. ;)

Anyway, I'll add that the recording is tomorrow, Oct 4th 2008. If you are coming, please take a look at the topics before hand. We only have two to cover, so most likely it will be a shorter than usual episode, unless we start getting all nostalgic or something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be there.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~15 minutes until the podcast starts. Get your asses onto IRC and join us!
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, now. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good job. Mike actually talked at length about something not involving Super Mario Galaxy or Linux :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically. As I'm editing this I keep on noticing that we have a hard time getting our sound levels straightened out. Definitely something that needs to be looked into.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's live: http://gdrpodcast.com/index.php?id=17 | ~10.4MB, 45:22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Basically. As I'm editing this I keep on noticing that we have a hard time getting our sound levels straightened out. Definitely something that needs to be looked into.

Hmm... yeah. I was using my Skype phone instead of the mic, so I seem more stable, but the level was a bit loud. I have volume control over the phone, so I can fix that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that it's usually difficult to tell during recording. It's a lot easier to hear the difference when it comes time to do editing. If we want to do it right I might require that people show up 10 minutes early so we can do sound tests and I can get people to adjust their volumes accordingly. The only other alternative is to have people have to record their own session, send it in, and that way I could volume adjust very easily.

[edit]
RSS works now

Edited by sonrisu on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 am; edited 1 time
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should just take a few moments beforehand and do a test so we can tweak our levels. I now have a lot of control over my volume, and it seems pretty consistent now (unlike that shitty mic I was using before).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at the RSS feed tonight.

I record a podcast over Skype, but the system I used is a little different. We have Skype running, and a standard audio recording program (like Audacity or something), and run them both at the same time. Generally, we get everyone into the Skype chat, then one person plays a sequence of sounds into the Skype chat (we use metronome.wav).

Once recording is done, we all upload the 'good' copies of the audio (from Audacity) to a server, and whoever is editing downloads all the files from there. Import those into you audio editor as your channels, then you can synchronise them all up based on the sound you played into the conversation earlier. You basically get the interactivity of Skype, with the better quality audio of local recording.

Quote:
The only other alternative is to have people have to record their own session, send it in, and that way I could volume adjust very easily.

Yeah, that :-)

--Jon
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great episode. I really enjoyed listening to this one. :D

Hearing Sirocco mention the Space Game thread as being one of the most awesome things happening on the GDR for him in the past year made me feel so warm and happy inside that my ego went through the roof (whether that's good or bad, I don't know but I went to bed with a big smile on my face that night).

I just hope I'll manage to make that game and that my ego will not grow so big that it will overshadow everything I do and that it will not make me more arrogant and locked up to others ideas than I already am.

Ideally I'd want to be a humble game developer who just cares about the game and about making it work, so that he could play it and not be influenced by positive or negative feedback of any kind. I guess, only time will tell how that will work out. I'd want to be self-driven, self-motivated and independent of the praise or lack thereof that I receive for my output.

I guess I could go on for several pages, explaining these thoughts but I won't. :)

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.