GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Ron Gilbert discusses his experience making Monkey Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Ron Gilbert discusses his experience making Monkey Island Reply with quote

http://grumpygamer.com/8280380

Considering it's one of my favorite games, this was a real treat. Reading his mild dissatisfaction over certain conventions during that era (having to stop and open doors, for example) was certainly noteworthy. I remember playing the old SCUMM games and being immediately annoyed by my inability to click on a door and automatically walk through it. Things were streamlined with later SCUMM releases where right clicking on an object would automatically perform the "expected" action, such as opening a door or picking up an object, which went a long way toward mitigating those moments of annoyance.

It's also interesting to note the frequent lamentations regarding disk space. Apparently there was a firm size limit from LucasArts, so animations were the first to suffer. When I first played games like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island, I noted that animations were sparse outside the standard walk, talk, interact frames that each character had. I also mistook the "Insert disk 22" joke for a allusion to missing content due to time constraints. I never figured they were cracking a joke at Sierra, who routinely published games on 8-12 floppies.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.