GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - 2D Sidescrolling RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonGames

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Development Log - 2D Sidescrolling RPG Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just signed up. I'm somewhat new to game development. I just finished my first game for Android phones called Super Snake and am starting a new project for Android. It's a 2D Sidescrolling RPG that will be episodic in nature. Once you purchase the game you'll get regular content updates with new quests, and towns to visit. Items will be procedurally generated (think Borderlands style) allowing for huge combinations of items. Eventually I hope to have an online Arena where players can duel each other.

I have a basic sidescrolling engine working and part of the GUI. The next thing I'm going to work on is adding enemies the player can fight. Mostly I've been working on the graphics lately (I'm not much of an artist). Here's a screenshot in-game so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. Don't forget to drop by the introductions thread and tell us a little bit about yourself.

After a few posts you'll be able to post images inline instead of just links.

As for your project, it sounds pretty ambitious. A lot of us have been there and have achieved varying levels of success in that area. So feel free to ask questions all you want, post your thoughts, etc.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Android developers are always a good thing :)
Welcome!

-Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome :)

I've been working on tools to make the maps now. I'm torn between starting the engine over in OpenGL (faster, but harder to work across different android versions) and just paring down the graphics to run on my system using Canvas and allowing users to set the graphic levels based on their acceptable level of lag in-game. Using timer based movement, the gameplay should remain the same... I assume, I haven't actually implemented it yet.

I got an enemy in the map running around, but have since started the switch to 32x32 tiles instead of 16x16, so I haven't fixed the engine yet. My map editor is written in darkbasic and quickly allows me to edit maps, and uses the same game logic as my Android game engine, so essentially I can draw a map, drop in a player, and play through it and see how it plays on the phone as well.

Here's a screenshot of the map editor:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Another sidescroller? Alright!

How is the combat going to work? Also, I'm curious why you jumped to 32x32 pixel tiles on a platform that has such a tiny screen? How big are the player characters going to be?
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt realize this was canvas... sweet! i really should do my steampunk rpg in canvas so that more people can play it.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.