GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Untitled Sidescroller
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Untitled Sidescroller Reply with quote

so, this past weekend Deleter and I did our own little 48hr code jam in the hopes of making a sidescroller engine. i made a basic 2d physics library, a map editor, and the first level. he did the core game framework, input handling, and the start of multiplayer co-op networking.

here is the start of the physics engine. basically the world would consist of these overlapping clipping zones. anywhere the zones overlap is considered open while any non overlapping part is a solid boundary.
white = zone, blue = completely inside zone, green = partially inside zone, red = player.

after zone building / clipping boundary processing, i put in box and circle collision, then basic physics iteration.

400 particles chasing after the player(orange) with variable masses and speeds

after that i got to work on creating the first level background. I opted to make a pre-rendered one in photoshop instead of having to make a full on map editor with tile placement.

it was based on an old mockup i did of an industrial type area with a fox character i was using for a dungeon/forest crawler:

after heavy modification, it became:

and then lastly, i put together the map editor which draws the backdrop and you use the mouse to draw the clipping zones over the environment.
spoiler

right now i'm ceasing work on it while Deleter gets the multiplayer finished so that i can focus just on my rpg.

so far the fox is animated to walk/run/jump/flip/wall kick(double jump with flip)/climb/defend - each with and without weapons

but yea... that's what we got done in 48 hours... i think we each slept for about 7 of those hours. :D

Edited by syn9ne on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 3 times
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiice! Some weekends it takes me 48 hours just to get out of bed, it seems :(
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea, i totally know what you mean
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That art is godlike! I need to know who did this so I can whorship him/her!! :-D
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah thanks, it was me, no worshiping necessary :D

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.