GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Eternal Quest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Eternal Quest Reply with quote

I guess it's about time to get a dev log going for this one.

Eternal Quest is an oldschool rpg that I started for a contest over at rpgdx.net ages ago.
Itīs quite retro. Iīm trying to make it look like a NES game using its palette but I'm not going further than trying to keep each sprite at 4 colors.

Heres a few older screenshots:

If you think it reminds you of the older FF games then you are correct. I'm actually about to replace all the FF placeholder graphics left (the battlebackgrounds, one enemy and one tile) but first and foremost I am determined to figure out a few bugs and kinks in the battle code that makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeeet. Any plans for a job system, or something similar?
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
Sweeeeet. Any plans for a job system, or something similar?

Nope. The girl will be a magic user and the boy will have some specific skills like first aid and retreat but thats about it.

Heres a little video:

I think I did find one of the strange bugs in the battle engine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it would be interesting to change roles simply by switching equipment. Your warrior picks up a wand, and now he's a wizard -- a crappy one, too :) Or perhaps role trading where you always have to have a certain combination of roles, but you can divvy them out between your party.

Just rambling. Looks good.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the engine is mostly complete already? Crazy! Stop holding out on us. ;]
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
I always thought it would be interesting to change roles simply by switching equipment. Your warrior picks up a wand, and now he's a wizard -- a crappy one, too :)
It's an interesting idea and could make for a few funny moments.
sonrisu wrote:
Looks like the engine is mostly complete already? Crazy! Stop holding out on us. ;]
Yeah, sorry about that. Itīs mostly done except for a few things in the battle engine.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.