GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Welcome to the Dunjon!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Welcome to the Dunjon! Reply with quote

I think it's time we got back to basics...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time I got back to my roots...
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty impressive that you can look at those sprites and see right away what kind of weapon setup they have, given the small size of each one.

I've actually never played any of the Ultima games. Did they ever release any of them on consoles, or was it strictly a PC game over the yaers?
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I was wondering what the deal is with your avatar, but I figured it's not necessarily related to a game of yours.

Looking forward so seeing an oldschool RPG, assuming that's what your plan is... I DEMAND MOAR INFORMATION! ;-)
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..they kinda look like little tribesmen
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've actually never played any of the Ultima games. Did they ever release any of them on consoles, or was it strictly a PC game over the yaers?

The Ultima series had a long and weird history, so I'll keep things brief. Ultima started out (if you ignore Akalabeth) on Apple 2. Each version got an immediate C64 port as well. This kept going until Ultima 6, where PC was finally the lead platform, and all others (c64, Amiga, etc) were ports. The PC got Ultimas 1-5 at some point, but I'm not sure when exactly. There have also been collections and releases issued for those titles, and others.

On consoles things are murky and I don't have a clear view of things. Ultima 3 and 4 were released on a buttload of platforms, for example. Starting here and here might lead to further enlightenment.

There were also a few console spinoffs that were pretty crappy.

Quote:

..they kinda look like little tribesmen

Come to think of it... they kinda do have a little tribal flavor to them. Odd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time to revisit that raw spirit of adventure.

Also, I think it's high time I finished a game that didn't involve robots shooting things.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha.... not at all what I expected! But now I know where the resemblance you were talking about is coming from. Nice!
Are these ladders and a brigde over the water? And do I see healthbars? Does this get Baldur's Gate'y? With sidescroller elements?
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like pixel-lemmings! haha! cool..
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wha.... not at all what I expected!

Heh, I've already gotten that reaction a few times. But the true hint was in the bottom of the first image I posted :) I remember watching the Ultima 3 loading-intro as a kid and thinking "Damn, I wish the whole game were like that."

So the emphasis here is getting deeper into the dunjon and exploring and finding new areas, monsters, and secrets. Exploring grants you access to new allies and equipment you'll need to get further into the levels. The rope bridge you see to the right wasn't there to begin with, for example.

Formations will be vital to your survival. Placing lancers in front can defeat charging enemies, but they won't hold against binding enemies like tentacle monsters. Archers do well in back, so long as you don't get ambushed from behind, or mind that their accuracy drops the further they are from their targets. Lotsa possibilities, methinks.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..sounds like some sort of moving tower defense game.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the combat in the game take place in realtime, or does it flip into a turn-based system when you battle, setting formations and such? Are the little dudes all expendable (nameless troops in your army), or do some/all of them have names and have to survive along your side? Will the guys you stick in the back of the formation start to get jealous about not getting to lead the line if you leave them back there for long and turn traitor on the troupe?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedoty wrote:
Does the combat in the game take place in realtime, or does it flip into a turn-based system when you battle, setting formations and such?

Everything is in real-time. But... as a concession to players, the game speed slows down whenever you've got your menu open to do things like change formations or issue commands. The amount of speed drop depends on your difficulty level. The game will (hopefully) have a 100% mouse-based interface. I might leave in an option for using the arrow keys or WASD to move your main character, since that's easy and logical for many people.

Quote:
Are the little dudes all expendable (nameless troops in your army), or do some/all of them have names and have to survive along your side?

They are nameless expendables. I might actually randomly assign them names from a huge-arse pool, just for kicks. Losing them sucks because you can't resurrect them -- you have to head back to base and buy or train more. There is a class called a sidekick, and it's special. You only get one of them at a time, and losing your sidekick really blows because they do special things like activate healing fountains, save points, and deploy tools. They'll also give you advice and spot traps and secrets for you. I can do some... things with this class that I can't with others, in terms of emotional connection.

Quote:
Will the guys you stick in the back of the formation start to get jealous about not getting to lead the line if you leave them back there for long and turn traitor on the troupe?

Nope. You can design formations, and assign them to hotkeys (or clickable icons). Troops will stick to their formations as long as it makes sense. This is probably going to take the most time to code, as I want them to be intelligent enough to not do anything patently stupid. You can also issue blanket commands while in a battle; for example, tell all archers to attack a certain monster, or retreat, or whatever.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tame animals and harvest crops? lol.. just messin with you.. sounds pretty dynamic already.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the farming minigames, I'd like to have the option to execute my own squadmembers to temporarily increase the battle performance of my remaining squad members. Kind of like ruling by fear. Alex started it!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

can you tame animals and harvest crops? lol.. just messin with you.. sounds pretty dynamic already.

Silly rabbit, good crops don't grow underground!

Quote:

I'd like to have the option to execute my own squadmembers to temporarily increase the battle performance of my remaining squad members. Kind of like ruling by fear. Alex started it!

You can (sorta) do that in Inimicus.

Edit: Actually, that's not a half bad idea...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:

Silly rabbit, good crops don't grow underground!

Actually mushrooms and rhubarb do.

(I'll get me coat......)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Welcome to the Dunjon!

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.