GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Strange games for strange days
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Strange games for strange days Reply with quote

I ran dry on inspiration and had to stop for a while to recharge the creative batteries. I figured now was as good a time as any to take on some of the stranger games I've been meaning to play, and here's what I came up with:

Fable:

Okay, so it's not all that strange, but it is a unique mix of traditional RPG, The Sims, and typical Bullfrog convention. Most of the time the control scheme feels like it's trying desperately to channel Zelda, but fails miserably... leading to an adequate (though not even remotely good) control setup. The game itself reeks of its own desire for an epic experience, but sadly fails to deliver anything more than a pleasant 10-15 hour beat 'em up. I suppose with another year or two of development this could possibly have given Ultima a run for its money, but as it stands it is a monument of potential that was never even remotely realized. Still, a quite enjoyable thrash-fest where I can kill tons of innocent villagers and kick chickens. Cool.

Geist:

This is a very strange FPS/Adventure hybrid that forces you to think about how things will react in your current environment, and how you can leverage them to create chain reactions. While the beginning plays out like a straight shooter (and not a terribly good one), after about 5 minutes your character has his spirit forcibly removed from his body and everything goes to hell after that (pun not intended). Most of the puzzles are relatively straightforward, and there are plenty of fire fights to prevent total lulls in action. The controls are a little stiff, but not too bad. Some of the boss battles have unique possession elements that are genuinely refreshing. It's also nice to see a game similar to Omikron in that dying doesn't automatically mean game over ;) It's a shame this game didn'y fly off the shelves, because it's such a novel chimera of several different genres, and despite being hobbled by several questionable design choices and general lack of polish, it's a great game worthy of at least a rental.

Killer 7:

Oh yeah, this is the case study for the phrase "Love it or hate it", because I seriously doubt there's a single game more polarizing than this. Literally drenched in a minimalist, cel shaded style that is at times both breathtakingly beautiful and equally spartan, the game's odd presentation grew on me quickly. Or, maybe the red floating gimp brought back fond memories... who knows? The controls are very simple, and although navigation through the stages is quite "on rails", there is plenty of room for exploration, and there were few times where I felt like the experience was being stifled by the limited freedom of movement. The puzzles were a little too simple, but there were always plenty of things to do and see in each stage, so for the most part it didn't matter to me. This is a very surreal, disturbing game that grabbed me by the teeth and shook me around the room. With gusto.

Now, back to work.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Strange games for strange days
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.