GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Rico Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've had it with you, GAME! I'm sick of you sitting in the back of my brain, nagging about me not finishing you! I'll do it now!! Once and for all! And then I can finally say I actually finished a game!

Alright, enough exclamation marks... :)

I want to create 6 more levels (32 in total, I could never make it to the next power of two ;) ) and then call it done. That shouldn't take me much more than a week, if I can keep my motivation up.

Here we go!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of content there, and it's challenging enough on mobile devices. I still haven't made it past the world 2.8 boss :(
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
There's plenty of content there, and it's challenging enough on mobile devices. I still haven't made it past the world 2.8 boss :(

Hmm... wanna have a promo code for the desktop version (Desura)? I can send you one if you give me your email address. That should relieve you from the on-screen buttons. You can even copy over your save file from your Android phone to the PC, if you like! :)

BTW, that goes for everyone on this forum, so if you want to check it out on your PC, just drop me a PN with your mail address! :)
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 and a half levels done! The players will hate me! They're HARD!
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented gamepad support today. Had to manually "apply" a patch file to my libgdx source copy which was a chore, but I got it done.
The gamepad mappings are also freely configurable in the options screen.
I tested with my PS3 controller. Getting that b**** to work under Mac wasn't easy either.

Also, I finished level 31 today. Only one more level to go and I'm finished! :D But that will take more time as it's a boss level... the final boss level... gotta think of something epic.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done and done! :D
Finished level 32 today and published it on Android. Feels good!

In a few days, I plan to release the full version on Desura. Yay! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Did you end up doing anything special for the final boss? (without spoiling anything, I guess.)
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly a culmination of the three boss fights before, so you'll surely need to dodge a fair amount of rockets ;)
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rico is part of the Groupees Be Mine Bundle featured as "Indie Spotlight"... so YAY!!! :D
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I justed posted on reddit but I also want to ask this question here:

My game will be offered as a deal on www.indiegamestand.com for four days sometime in January. The IGS staff also wants me to create bonus content which buyers will receive for free if they pay more than the current average. I'm really excited about it and delighted to show my creation to a big audience. So far, so good! But... what should I include as bonus content? My ideas so far:

Images of the complete game worlds. World 1 would look something like this (beware, big file!): http://imake-games.com/rico/world1.png

Designing some bonus levels. Problem with that is that my game has an upgradable character, so I'm not sure how to design them. Do I make them so that beginners can play them as well? Then where's the challenge for the advanced players?

Give away the music. Can't do that because it isn't mine! It's made by an artist called Bunnymajs and he only allowed me to use them in my game, not to give them away in any other way. Besides, the music is freely available to listen to anyway on his website.

Do some additional art. But what?

What would you do? Any ideas?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still design challenging stages for characters with the double-jump + whip + etc abilities. You might also store a flag in the stage that restricts ability usage -- that's cheap, but better than nothing.

If you go the former route, beginning players might have a harder time, but that's okay. Extra stages are by their nature intended for people who want to extend their play time, so we could assume they've already gotten far into the game, if not finished it entirely.

Developer commentary is also an option. Once upon a time I was going to release an extended version of Frenetic Plus, and I had recorded over three hours of commentary explaining each stage and how I designed it + some tidbits on the story. Real life intervened, and I never finished it. The audio would have played during the mission.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rico is available on www.indiegamestand.com now! :D

I'm super excited! \o/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nize! Looks like its going good =)
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that's neat ;)
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rico is now available on iOS devices (iPhone and iPad). I'm still suffering from some growing pains because it's my first iOS game and LibGDX's build process for iOS is... involved, to say the least! You basically take your Java code, stuff it into a tool called IKVM which converts it to .Net code, then compile that with Xamarin (some kind of MonoTouch fork?) to get a native iOS app. What's makes it even more difficult is the fact that I don't own a single iOS device. I was only able to borrow an iPad from my niece for a single day... but hey, if sales are good, I'll surely buy an iPad for myself!

Overall, I'm so glad I can finally say I successfully released games for 5 different platforms! :D

Aaannd, it seems like Apple decided to put Rico into the "New and Noteworthy" category, at least for the United States iTunes Store. \o/
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Aaannd, it seems like Apple decided to put Rico into the "New and Noteworthy" category, at least for the United States iTunes Store. \o/

Whether or not that translates to a bunch of sales (won't know for a while?), it at least attracts a bunch of eyeballs. Good job!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
Quote:

Whether or not that translates to a bunch of sales (won't know for a while?), it at least attracts a bunch of eyeballs. Good job!

I wish it would attract the right set of eyeballs! I have applied for a master's thesis at my university 2 weeks ago. The institue I applied to focuses on human-computer interaction and does a lot of game related research. So in my application letter, I wrote all the things I've done on the game development front, including all my games, the technologies I've worked with, the experience I have and so on... So far, I've not even gotten a reply... :( When the easter holidays are over, I'll make a personal appearance at the professor's desk and see what's up.

Sales on iOS have been fantastic so far! I'm selling about 40 units per day. And that's without any promo and without a free demo version released! I actually just wanted to get the full game approved by Apple and release it silently, so I can also get the demo version up and running and then tell the world. Hasn't worked out that way! :D This first week of sales is already better than the best week on Android, and far better than any week on Desura.
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Glad to hear Apple did you a solid. Congrats. :)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Rico Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.