GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Psychopathic tendencies seems to be the rigueur du jour when it comes to games.

:D Sigged!

I don't mind playing the game the way its meant to be played. For my first time, I figured I'd try to just go nuts and do whatever, and see if anything breaks. Having factions is very, very cool and again reminds me greatly of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which I should probably just call Stalker from now on -- because damn all the periods!

I got whatever version you first posted, but I can check later. In my build I couldn't pick up things unless I was standing on the square.

GUIs are a pain in the ass, and a huge time-sink. You know this :) Just getting one running right is a big accomplishment. As you noted, you can make it look pretty later.

Running around, salvaging supplies, making alliances -- that's right up my alley. My only real concern is that there's a big lag in the time it takes a round to complete. That is, after my team acts, everyone else on the map gets their turn, and initially that makes for a slow start. If I increase the difficulty level will that speed things up?

Edit:

One other thing. At the beginning of the game, when choosing your group loadout, it said I had six pistols on the boat, but it only let me assign them to one character. I wanted everyone to get pistols :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you have to standing on the same square to pick things up, telekinetic powers aren't something I envisioned yet!

Increasing the difficulty (which isn't fully implemented) probably wouldn't affect the game speed, as the AI stays the same. What it does do is
turn of the health, and relationship bars on characters. On the mid level you can only save once every 6 turns, and on the hardest level you
can't save at all, or rather the game saves for you every turn, including when you die, so you can do the save/load trick. It does currently
make the enemies also harder, but I am going to remove that, and just stick with difficulty changing the representation/saving of the game. Also
on the harder levels you start with one or no extra items, as well as less party members. I really wanted to avoid the usual tactics of just adding
more + harder enemies but rather make the player play harder to win, or rather more creatively.

You are playing the game the way it is meant, I just didn't want to limit the game to just the hack n slash formulae, but also try and reward players
for using other methods if they desired, but you shouldn't be penalized for going down the "all guns blazing" route. Like an old table-top RPG, it's
up to you how you play it, its my jorb to try and make what you do fun, or at least rewarding/challenging, and perhaps get you to adopt a mix of
strategies.

Lol, about the pistol(s), the number in brackets i.e. (6) is the maximum number of bullets in the weapon, which I probably should make clearer.

I definitely need to do something about the CPU turn time. It does get quicker once the units get moving after a couple of turns, and figure out
what they are doing, where they are and where they are going, but I suspect that if I generate/implement pathfind nodes for the levels this will
help. I also suspect that once I unpick the spaghetti AI code I will find plenty of ways to speed things up, and sit down and figure our profiling so I
can determine which functions are the bottlenecks.
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the game a lot more stable, squashing a few bugs here and there, and got rid of the mouse flicker.
Also i've managed to reduce the memory used by about a third, and the .exe is half the size it was.

I've also moved my production/development from windows 7 to Linux (Xubuntu), after getting to grips with
the wonders of valgrind, and the nice workflow that Xubuntu offer compared to windows.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to my ol' Windows box and tried it out! Didn't get very far though. It crashed when I stepped onto an elevator tile, moved up (or down, can't tell) and then clicked on the elevator tile again... hope that helps! I tried getting something better by debugging the application, but only got ASM code.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to try the game, and reporting the bug issue, I will look into and see if i can squish it.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been making a lot of progress, having moved development over to linux (Xubuntu), so have been taking full advantage of
the debugging and profilling software to speed up the game, and get rid of some niggling bugs so the game is fairly stable,
even if the AI is still somewhat flaky.

I've also been getting ready to make the transition from using Allegro 4.4.2 to Allegro 5.1.7+ which is a new API, but
supports hardware acceleration so I can have fun with stuff like pixel shaders, as well as allow me to do port to Android/Rasberry,
and Mac/iOS as well as Windows/Linux. It will also allow me to do things easier, like having a transparent GUI/HUD and text to
reveal more of the gameplay.
Also it will make it easier to ultimately transform the game from a top-down view to eventually a 3d one.

(BTW I got and squashed that Elevator bug, thanks).
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taking a little break from this game, whilst I write another (much simpler board game) to get to grips with the new
Allegro API, and try and get something done and released, rather than plodding away at something ad nauseam.
The current stable released version has some significant speeding up of the AI, so that the computer take just a few
seconds to do the opponents moves rather than the previous tens of seconds.
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, after a break of year, I decided to port this game to the Allegro5 graphics library.
I am about halfway through, and it has taken days rather than the weeks I was imaging (though i am sure there will be plenty of that with refactoring and debugging).
After a year of using Allegro5, all I can say is the Allegro4 certainly feels old and slow, and whilst Allegro5 isn't finished it is without a doubt a far superior product.

Anyway the idea is once it is stable on my linux machine, to port to android and get it running on the tablet/phone, although I will have to rethink the interface somewhat
for touch screens.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was remarkably painless, I currently have a duel Allegro 4+5 Linux build that I am tweaking ready for public consumption, so people can compare and contrast the two, which I intend to release in the next week or two, depending on family commitments.

Next I am starting to make minor UI modifications as I port the game to Android for touch screens, at this point I may well cease any development using Allegro4, and retire that branch.

I am also working on a scenario to act as an introduction to the game, probably revolving around seizing your own outpost and bunker from a rival faction to set up as your own base.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead, and ripped all the allegro4 code out of the game, and am about 95% ready to port it to android. I am going to probably slap together a simple solo random dungeon adventure to showcase the game features, and then put it up for free (with no ads) onto the play store, before I move onto the next project, and leave it as a fun hobby.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a couple of days, but I have a very basic rough version running on my Moto G. Next is to come up with a better simple touch interface, and larger icons, and then that
simple scenario I spoke of. I might even get a video of it running on the phone+tablet if I get the time.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.