GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Off Topic - Winter 2015 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Off Topic - Winter 2015 Reply with quote

Fall 2014 Off Topic
Summer 2014 Off Topic
Spring 2014 Off Topic
Winter 2014 Off Topic

Fall 2013 Off Topic
Summer 2013 Off Topic
Spring 2013 Off Topic
Winter 2013 Off Topic

Fall 2012 Off Topic
Summer 2012 Off Topic
Spring 2012 Off Topic
Winter 2012 Off Topic

Fall 2011 Off Topic
Summer 2011 Off Topic
Spring 2011 Off Topic
Winter 2011 Off Topic

Fall 2010 Off Topic
Summer 2010 Off Topic
Spring 2010 Off Topic
Winter 2010 Off Topic

Fall 2009 Off Topic
Summer 2009 Off Topic
Spring 2009 Off Topic
Winter 2009 Off Topic

Fall 2008 Off Topic
Summer 2008 Off Topic
Spring 2008 Off Topic
Winter 2008 Off Topic

Winter 2007 Off Topic
Fall 2007 Off Topic
Summer 2007 Off Topic
Spring 2007 Off Topic

Winter 2006 Off Topic
Fall 2006 Off Topic
Summer 2006 Off Topic
Spring 2006 Off Topic

Winter 2005 Off Topic
Fall 2005 Off Topic

Edited by sonrisu on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:59 pm; edited 3 times
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically I'm two days early, but I know I won't do this on Sunday. So here you have it. Winter away. :]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Winter... my count of failed Dwarf Fortresses in the current release is up to 3 now and in the last one everyone died of dehydration in Winter because I thought other projects were more important than filling up an underground cistern and building a well. In one of the others I kept delaying building a sustainable food source by farming and relied on caravans bringing in food... until they did not. :D
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good editing in the crazy cat clip.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy holiday season to everybody. Santa brought me copies of the new Far Cry and Dragon Age games, and I will enjoy them. :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Santa brought me copies of the new Far Cry

Santa has good taste. You'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xmas Gift Summary: Bottle of Rum (Kraken), a Bottle of Wine, and a big bag of Caramel+Cheese popcorn.

Which is totally fine, since I bought myself all-kinds of crap these past few months:
- Arduino's, clones, Raspberry Pi's, clones, parts (lots)
- Sonar X3 on Steam Sale (~$50)
- Korg VST Instrument pack (~$50)
- Controllers from Japan (Neo Geo PS2 pad, Wireless Famicom, PS4+360 Fight Pads)
- $99 Windows 8 Tablet (real Windows 8, Atom CPU)
- Smash Bros Wii U w/ Controllers
- Persona Q (need to still try it)
- Civ Beyond Earth (was okay)

Plus gifts I had to purchase for others. Lame, but less than $200. ;)
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm pretty much crippled without a Mouse or Track point (I.e. Lenovo/IBM's little red nub joystick mouse), I'll probably be doing something unprecedented soon: buying an old Laptop.

Long story short, Lenovo recently (2014) "upgraded" their X series laptops to include the latest Intel CPUs, but practically downgraded everything else about the machines. They now have lower maximum RAM, Upgrades now require tearing the machine apart, 2 USB ports (from 3), and removed the mouse buttons you click when using Track point (making it nearly unusable). They have other models and series (T series?), but they made the same downgrades across the board. :(

I'm using an X220 right now (2011 model), and the current one that breaks everything is the X240. I primarily run Linux now, but I will be looking to dual boot Windows for various things (Audio Apps mainly, or things without Linux ports).

So after some digging, I think I'll be grabbing an X230t off eBay, the T is for touch. It has a swiveling touch screen and a Wacom digitizer pen (I.e. pressure sensitive with eraser). They go for about ~$700 which is kinda nice. Drop in a 500 GB SSD, some extra RAM, and you're laughing. USB 3.0 ports (finally, the X220 was USB 2.0 only). 13xx by 768 screen, which is meh, but an IPS so the brightness and colors are good (I can't use non IPS screens anymore). Intel HD 4000 GPU (instead of the HD 3000) which, while not much faster, supports many GL 4.x feature (3000 was bound to "some" GL 3.x features). Oh, and it ships with Windows 7.

So its weird. New PC won't really be any faster than the machine I've been using for the past few years. But this current PC is falling apart. My S key is failing, another flips up, there a big hole in it where some plastic broke off, etc. Literally replacing the PC because I've overused it.

The only thing I'm waiting on, CES is in about a week.

I should just do it, but I'm curious. They probably won't announce new laptops at CES, but just in case. Even still, I have doubts they care enough to fix the glaring problems. I've been a loyal Lenovo customer for many years now, but the X230t may be the last device I go out of my way to buy from them.

Eventually I need to give up Track point, but I'm not ready yet.

Actually, I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop that was given to me. Everything is great about it, I just have to upgrade the SSD. Sadly though, no Track point. Its almost perfect, except one thing: I use Linux. And unfortunately, touch support on Linux is about where touch support on Windows 7 is: available, but a shitty user experience. Canonical (Ubuntu) is working aggressively on Touch, but its not ready. They missed getting it in to the 2014 Ubuntu, so I expect the 2016 version to be the first real Touchable version. Problem is its 2015 now, and I need a PC to hold me over. The touchable X230 however sounds like a great middle ground.

So anyway, I've already basically sold myself on the X230t. Just have to pull the trigger.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing from Reddit. I thought this was funny take on Programmer Hygiene and/or optimism. ;)

BinoAl
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this a thing.

Making a Sting replica that glows blue when in range of insecure WiFi... I'm tempted.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I had a dream where I was trapped in a closed mental health institution. It was a huge compound spanning several separate buildings. Some were connected by bridges and tunnels. I walked around quite a lot but never managed to find an exit. At one point, close to the room I was assigned to, I could see a large fence and even was behind the fence from the outside once but could not escape because the vegetation around it was too dense to squeeze through.

The last thing I remember was that I had a long talk with the chief medical officer where I ended up crying a lot but after leaving his office, I did not leave that particular building immediately and looked around a bit. Outside of his office to the left was a small room full of shoes, jackets, hats and umbrellas and a couple of chairs. I searched the jackets and found a clunky, heavy metal object which looked like a tool to turn bolt nuts. It was the "master key" which could open any door in the whole area (I just knew it was that even though it did not come with any note or explanation).

While I was searching the jackets I heard the chief medical officer talking to some of his staff... they were making fun of the other patients and I hated them for that because I liked my fellow inmates (although, I only remember that I liked them, I don't remember what they were like and who they were... dreams are odd like that).

I heard the chief medical officer then talking on the phone, calling for a warden to pick me up and bring me back to my room... but I did not wait for the warden to arrive and quickly left. An alarm was started and I was running around all over the compound, sneaking behind corners, through windows, using the master key here and there, observing stupid wardens searching for me from elevated views, listening to their hateful mockery of the other patients.

For reasons I do not remember, I used the master key to sneak back into my room. I had trouble hiding the key in my pockets because it was so huge and clunky but I managed to smuggle it past the guards in my building (who were unaware of the alarm or of the fact that I was not supposed to run around free). I hid the master key under my pillow and then I woke up.

So yeah... in case that dream continues in another night, I am safe for I already have the master key. No one can stop me now! :)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad and at the same time sad that the days of overeating and drinking too much have come to an end. On the other hand, I think if this would go on for a few more weeks, everyone would find themselves wake up in a hospital bed sooner or later...

Happy New Year Refugees!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought that Laptop I was blagging about. To my surprise, I found a very good price for the exact model locally. It's obviously old stock that has been sitting around a while, but I'm okay with that.

Actually I bought it, got home, and discovered that it wouldn't boot Windows. My best guess was the RAM, but it didn't matter. So I went back to the store, exchanged it, and I now have a working one.

Took me hours to correctly create Windows 7 restore discs. Annoyingly, I had to use DVD+R's instead of DVD-R's.

Put a 500 GB SSD inside. Reinstalled Windows 7 (from discs) and Ubuntu 14.10. Works great.

System is pretty great. TrackPoint, Touch Pad (I disabled it because I am an IBM TrackPoint fanatic), Touch Screen and Wacom Pen. Keyboard feels good. Weirdly, has Print Screen inbetween the right ALT and CTRL keys, but it's out of the way so it's fine. Plus it means I have large ESC and DEL keys, which is a plus.

Only complaint, it did not include a backlit keyboard. I can order one from China for $39 and install it myself though. That, and I need more RAM. I started with the stock 4 GB. Will probably drop 16 GB in (2x 8GB).

So far I'm extremely happy with the computer. Even though it's an 18 month old model, it really does feel new. Pretty much everything I want in a laptop, short of a faster GPU and long battery life.
Will

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:

Only complaint, it did not include a backlit keyboard. I can order one from China for $39 and install it myself though.

I don't understand the appeal behind having a backlit keyboard. I'd much rather have one without backlights and just save the battery.

On a different note, how are the recent Ubuntu releases? I usually stick with either Xubuntu or Mint, but I was planning on updating soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda need the backlight, as I rely on natural light a lot in my apartment. At night it gets dark. :)

As for Ubuntu, IMO the first good version was 14.04. I installed 14.10 this time, and it's practically the same.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lubuntu is worth looking at if you are looking for something minimalist.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having fun :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the funniest things I've seen in a while, not that video itself is *that* humorous, but Ben Kuchera at Polygon compared working with Publishers and some people in game development to the silly evolution of this tank.

Hilariously Accurate. ;)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/6/7501619/buggy-games-why-they-happen
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, welcome to 2015.

IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
One of the funniest things I've seen in a while, not that video itself is *that* humorous, but Ben Kuchera at Polygon compared working with Publishers and some people in game development to the silly evolution of this tank.

Hilariously Accurate. ;)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/6/7501619/buggy-games-why-they-happen

Man, this compares SO WELL to anything software development! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It does!

Reminds me of this:

:]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonrisu's post is basically my entire job in comic form. It is so depressing.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is part of the reasons why in 2011 after only about 5 years of developing software as a job I decided to never work in software development again.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many cooks in the kitchen, basically.
and also, people are just interested in the taste of it.

You can have one person making something, but if the taste is too strange, people might not be in the mood for it.
So you're pretty much screwed either way unless you have no taste and therefor don't care.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Off Topic - Winter 2015 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.