GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Job Climber
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsobral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Job Climber Reply with quote

Hi, in first place, sorry for my English, I'll do my best...
Anyway, I started this project about one week ago. I have some ideas for simple games, some are written down, others just in my head. I'll (for now) targeting the Flash platform.
Choosing the language, API, tools, etc. nowadays, it's just a mess. On the other side, today you have so much tools, and game development "-able" languages, that anybody from any skill level can build up a videogame, which is good. I have been in the stage of "okay, now which language / tool / API's I use?", after many false starts (with many languages/tools), I decided to give Flash a shot, and it's ok, really.
Since I have to do the job (on the spare time) of game designing, art, and of course programming, myself, the route to maximize work efficiency is the way to go. (If I want some game finished in the nearly future obviously).
I'm currently using ActionScript 3.0 with the Flixel library, which turned out to satisfy my needs, and most important, I have fun using and messing with it.

Sorry for the long introduction. Now, the game I have been making, It'll be a casual game, not action or adventure, but will have some roleplaying elements.
The objective is simply, you start unemployed, and then you start making your way up to the best job you can have. I want to create not just an upgrade this - upgrade that, and the game unfolds in just one direction, I want to try a more "real" approach. The player needs to make the right decisions in order to achieve goals, because, you can't have all jobs in the world, neither be eligible or capable to perform every job existent. The real challenge will be, I suppose, making the game fun to play. After all, we play games to escape from reality or for a brief moment, pretend we are in a alternative one. Games aren't mean to shove the dullness of real life in our face (just my opinion).
So, in the game you take choices, as if you don't get to tired of work, don't have videogames to play, don't have Facebook, and you can take classes after work, have a healthy morning routine and you can develop all skills you choose to. I hope the game at least can be motivational at some degree.

Well, enough said for the first entry, here it is the screenshot of the main menu so far. I'm currently working on the game mechanics and have still some hard decisions to make.
So as soon I have some more to show I'll post it.

Note: Running the game the bills are "flying" at the player, done very crudely but I enjoyed the effect. :-)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds neat. I wouldn't worry too much about which technology you are using to make your game. In the end, if people can play it, who cares what is under the hood?

From your description though, I'm not quite sure what I will be doing when playing this. Will I only just be "making decisions" (kind of like Game Dev Story, perhaps)?

So far, art style looks promising. :]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm currently using ActionScript 3.0 with the Flixel library, which turned out to satisfy my needs, and most important, I have fun using and messing with it.

Considering how hard making a game is, I'd say that's really important. If you're not enjoying it, you'll burn out quickly :\

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.