GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - A Lode Runner Story Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until today, I hard-coded all of the tile collision values as a 2-dimensional array in a constants file. It worked perfectly fine, so I never bothered with it. However, I want the ability the release new level sets with brand-new tilesheets, so I shifted the default values to an external file and added the option to include override values in a level set's data files. After a handful of last-minute edits to the level loading logic, the new system appears to be functioning as expected. I don't plan to utilize this feature on release (this is something for me to use down the road to support the game after release), but I do still plan to create a couple of test levels that use a separate tilesheet with custom tile collision values.

I also updated the available colors for cooperative mode. The game basically offers the rainbow colors, plus a couple of other small variations (lime, tan, etc.), having 2 or 3 shades of each.

Enemy in the cooperative training levels will now move at 75% speed. They will not show such leniency in the other levels!
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After putting out the release candidate earlier this year, I let this project sit largely idle for long periods of time.

One problem I had: my development directory has a bunch of junk files in it, and I don't want to ship those files out to the people who play the game. When I did the earlier release I handled this task by hand, just quickly deleting the junk files, but it was really a drag. To combat this, I finally put together a simple script that only copied the necessary files and directories. I still had to manually delete a handful of localization-related files, but it worked well enough to give me the drive to get things going.

I also put together a script that compares all of the files in the release directory against the development directory, then report back on any files I've updated (e.g. fix a bug and forget to copy). Thus, if I were to change an enemy respawn behavior next week, I could run this comparison script and find that code/enemy.py or whatever has changed in development but not changed in release folder. I would enter "y" to tell it to update the file and then rebuild the zip, etc.

As I mentioned in the other post, I fixed the mess of DLL files py2exe was generating. I needed to pay closer attention to the py2exe output, it was mistakenly identifying a couple of DLLs as system DLL files and therefore not including them in the data bundle.

I think proper development on the game itself has now ended. If I find people who have any problem running the game, or any bug they find, I'll certainly fix it as best as I can, naturally. I will also try very hard to muster better post-game DLC support... I put this DLC support into the last couple of games I made, but then I would make 1 or 2 levels and never post anything else new. Pretty lame, and I want to better myself this time, because this game deserves it. :)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - A Lode Runner Story Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.