GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Allegro.pas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Development Log - Allegro.pas Reply with quote

Wait, Didn't I log-in since December? I should fix that.

Last months I was quite busy. Anyway, I had time to work on my Allegro wrapper for Pascal. I've fixed several bugs and I did a lot of changes, even I've added some functionality. I don't know when I'll have the next release because I want to finalize with branch 4 (current TRUNK) before to focus on branch 5.

I know, it's not complete, not finished, not wanted... But it's an obsesion.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'net reminds me that there are plenty of people who are content to do as they desire, for no greater purpose than to indulge their dreams.

And let no one suggest you stop!

I've done a little work in Pascal. Not much, mind you.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a while back there was an old indie RPG being made with Delphi. I think it was called Abu's Odyssey, and it was pretty good for its time.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
The 'net reminds me that there are plenty of people who are content to do as they desire, for no greater purpose than to indulge their dreams.

And let no one suggest you stop!
Thank you (I think).

Right now the thing is a bit halted, but I've been working on a semi-commertial game using the last SVN of the project and works. I'll let you know about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SorceForge has problems, SVN is down and there's no way to download files.

Anyway, I was working on the new GUI system. I want to release 4.4.5 as soon as possible to move forward to the new API, but the GUI is a must.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend switching to GitHub. I've been moving all my projects hosted on Google Code over and it's been great. They have an SVN compatibility layer. Internally it's GIT, but you can read and write to a repos using SVN. Nowaway I'm using GIT whenever I can, but for some legacy projects I commit changes via GIT but check-out to a remote server using SVN.
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally and almost 3 years after, I've upload version 4.4.5. Of course it didn't take 3 years ind the making, but I never was satisfied enough to make a relase even today, but I forced myself to do it because there are a lot of changes, including API changes (uncomfortable but worth it).

Changes spoiled because they are a lot:

[edit]I did put the changes here as spoiler, but it doesn't work as I expected, so if you want to read the changes before to say anything, just read the full list at the note below the downloading links.[/edit]

So, if you're curious enough, please download it and tell me.

PoV wrote:
I would highly recommend switching to GitHub. I've been moving all my projects hosted on Google Code over and it's been great. They have an SVN compatibility layer. Internally it's GIT, but you can read and write to a repos using SVN. Nowaway I'm using GIT whenever I can, but for some legacy projects I commit changes via GIT but check-out to a remote server using SVN.

Why does everybody says me "Switch to GitHub"? I don't like GIT, and I'm pretty happy with SourceForge. I know, they haven't the best service ever, but I'm happy, and Subversion has everything and more that I need.

I'm not angry, and I have nothing against GIT or GitHub, but it starts to be insane, really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SourceForge is very broken. The user facing site is filled with ads, some of the bigger softwares packed with malware. It's not a good image. Google code never had that problem, but they just recently shut it down. Google has the luxury to kill a service like that when they know it's not working anymore, where SourceForge, it's their only business, so they're going to squeeze every dollar they can out of it.

I agree that the GIT movement is pretty-nuts. You would think GitHub invented Open Source. I don't entirely understand it, but we had all of Ludum Dare's custom code freely available on Google Code for nearly 8 years: everyone always assumed it wasn't open source, and nobody ever submitted a patch. We've been on GitHub for just a few months, and people actually give-a-shit about our code now. I get asked about it regularly. It's almost annoying. ;)

If you care about your open source project, and want other people to care, you put it on GitHub. It's like the Steam of source code. You're welcome to put your code on obscure-other-site-that-nobody-uses, but don't expect anybody to follow you.

That said, I actually prefer Mercurial over GIT (it has revision numbers), but I've been using GIT so much that I'm actually more comfortable with it.
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
SourceForge is very broken. The user facing site is filled with ads, some of the bigger softwares packed with malware. It's not a good image. Google code never had that problem, but they just recently shut it down. Google has the luxury to kill a service like that when they know it's not working anymore, where SourceForge, it's their only business, so they're going to squeeze every dollar they can out of it.

I agree that the GIT movement is pretty-nuts. You would think GitHub invented Open Source. I don't entirely understand it, but we had all of Ludum Dare's custom code freely available on Google Code for nearly 8 years: everyone always assumed it wasn't open source, and nobody ever submitted a patch. We've been on GitHub for just a few months, and people actually give-a-shit about our code now. I get asked about it regularly. It's almost annoying. ;)

If you care about your open source project, and want other people to care, you put it on GitHub. It's like the Steam of source code. You're welcome to put your code on obscure-other-site-that-nobody-uses, but don't expect anybody to follow you.

That said, I actually prefer Mercurial over GIT (it has revision numbers), but I've been using GIT so much that I'm actually more comfortable with it.
That are actual arguments. Until today everybody tells me GitHub is better, but nobody explained me why (and reading about GIT didn't helps a lot). You're the first one who do that. Thank you. :)

I must to think about this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niunio Martinez wrote:
Until today everybody tells me GitHub is better, but nobody explained me why (and reading about GIT didn't helps a lot). You're the first one who do that. Thank you. :)

Ha! No prob. :)

I actually think most people don't know why they are so enamoured with GIT and GitHub, they just repeat the mantra "is it on GitHub?", just like a lot of people do with games "is it on Steam?". I only have an answer because I've been running a project, where I'm pretty sure most people asking don't. GitHub has become a sort of source code social network with friends, favourites, and forks. And like any social network, it's useless if the things you follow aren't on it.

The main advantage (and disadvantage) GIT has over SVN is that you have a full local copy of the repository. And by design, you can safely commit changes BEFORE you push them to the main repository. SVN has a long overdue feature called "shelving" that works similarly, but as far as I know still isn't available yet. Admittedly this isn't that important a feature if you work solo, always have a solid internet connection, and a rock-solid server. But everybody has that moment where you're like "I would like to commit my code and keep working, but...".

Me, I'm too cheap to pay for a Data plan on my phone, because 4 out of 5 places you go to use your computer has free WiFi anyway (Airports, Coffee Shops, etc). So with that in mind, switching to distributed version control systems like GIT and Mercurial were a good idea, because I willingly put myself in situations where I may not have access to data. I fly and take a train a couple times per year too, and even though WiFi is sometimes available, it's usually not good (or not free).

GIT also has this really amazing advanced merge tool. It's a little complicated to use, but if you ever find yourself being told that some feature was working in one build, but stopped working in another, it can cleverly generate builds between those two builds that you run, and you confirm if the problem is there or not. Then when you finish, it'll tell you exactly what caused the problem. It's really not a feature you use too often, but the first time you do, holy sh*t, you'll never want to go back to SVN.

Still, the main disadvantage of GIT over SVN is also that full local copy of the repository. As a gamedev, we occasionally have large binary files (art, music, maps). Unfortunately binary files, especially compressed ones (PNG, OGG), rarely looks the same when you DIFF them. That means every revision of a file in that full repository copy is still there. If your total assets for a game are <200 MB, then it probably wont be an issue. But if you are in GB town, you really do need to consider separating them from the code. There is an ongoing project that (funny enough) GitHub is spearheading, a way to better deal with large binary files in GIT. I haven't followed it too closely though, but I know it exists. That said, in the interim I know that a number of studios use GIT for code, SVN for assets.

I think that about sums it up.

GitHub
- GIT only, but is SVN compatible (internally GIT but SVN can talk to it)
- Free public repositories (paid private)
- Largest open source community
- Might have large file support

Bitbucket
- Mercurial and GIT
- Free public and private repositories (up to 5 users)
- Deployment keys (a nice way of doing read-only users of private repos, say for a web server)
- As far as I know they're the 2nd largest company doing this sort of thing

Gitlab
- GIT only
- Free public and private repositories
- the "noop" guys here use it

Assembla - https://www.assembla.com/repositories
- SVN, GIT, and Perforce repositories
- Free private repositories up to 1 GB in size

Custom (private repos)
- If you know basic Linux, and have a spare machine around, servers for GIT, Mercurial, and SVN are pretty easy to set up. Just do an install (apt-get, yum, etc), and add some users. The above services are much simpler, but this is always an option.
- a Raspberry Pi+memory card is a cheap way to set one of these up too.
- a cheap VPS server is another nice way (better disk io than a Raspberry Pi). Scaleway, Digital Ocean and Vultr have good machines for $5 /mo, Linode at $10 /mo, BuyVM for $1-3 /mo if willing to use OpenVZ.
- If you happen to have a Synology NAS, there are easy 1-click packages for SVN and GIT servers. I forget, there may even be a UI for adding users and repositories.
- Other NAS server may have easy SVN and GIT server packages too (I only know Synology though).
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the project are still alive. At the moment I'm still using SVN in Sourceforge and I'm not sure to switch to GIT yet.

Anyway, I'm pushing Allegro.pas as I want to release a new package before the TINS 2016. I've moved to Allegro 5.2, and that mean to revise all my code. I've broken it because I don't like the "primitives" add-on API but I'm not sure what to do with it: Use enums or integer constants? In Pascal this is a major decision! Actually, the "primitives" add-on never worked in Pascal, and I'm not sure if it's my fault or Allegro's fault.

At the moment, I've revised and fixed about 25% of the library. A problem I have is that I didn't test it with Delphi, and I can't install it right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've uploaded a new "alpha" version of Allegro.pas, just in time for the TINS 2016. There are stuff that still doesn't work (unimplemented or bad API) but it's more stable, with more functionality and more examples and documentation.

If you want to test it (I need to know if it works with Delphi), you can download from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alpha released yesterday, with several big bugfixes and some additions. Still unfinished, and that's why it's alpha-2.

Download from here, read documentation, etc.

And yes, I'm still in SourceForge. But this may change in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded an small update to the 4.4 branch. It should fix unit alWin (I never use it so I'm not sure if it actually works ) and updates some documentation. Not more to tell at the moment.

For the downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/allegro-pas/files/4.4.5-1/
For the online documentation: http://allegro-pas.sourceforge.net/docs/4.4.5/

[edit] Problem with link fixed. Sorry. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my oh my! More than one year since the last release (5.2.alpha2).

But that's not the worst part, no it isn't. The worst part is that I did a ton of improvements. Mostly documentation but also:

• Low-level file access, quite useful to add new loaders and file formats to the library and essential to create fully integrated add-ons.
  • Shaders for both OpenGL and DirectX.
  • Configuration files. It does the same than TIniFile but Allegro uses its own ini file support internally so it may be the best way to integrate add-ons and to define default configuration to different subsystems.
  • A collection of new examples (including the one that shows how to fake 8bpp graphics mode!) and some bugfixes, as well as better Microsoft Windows integration.
If you're wondering why I didn't release 5.2.alpha3 yet the answer is simple: I forgot it. Last year I had a lot of personal and laboral issues that affected my memory. Really. I'll release it this evening or tomorrow. I'll not do it now because I'm busy (I really am ;) ) and because I've found a flaw in the SVN tree I must fix too (There isn't 5.2.alpha in the RELEASE directory!).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you're wondering why I didn't release 5.2.alpha3 yet the answer is simple: I forgot it.

Don't feel too bad. I've been sitting on a release for Moai for almost two years :/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok: I just uploaded the new 5.2.a3 release. Please enjoy.

Sirocco wrote:
Quote:

If you're wondering why I didn't release 5.2.alpha3 yet the answer is simple: I forgot it.

Don't feel too bad. I've been sitting on a release for Moai for almost two years :/

I should download it again and learn how to use it...
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.