Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Damn you, WAL MART
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Damn you, WAL MART Reply with quote

The new releases arrive tomorrrow.
Thought I'd give Deus Ex a try
So you can only imagine my sorrow
When they said no, not now, you cannot buy

Early access games are all the rage
It's standard practice now
But still they won't unlock the cage
That holds this sacred cow

Damn you, Walmart
you've stymid my plans
To get a head start
Damn you

I made sure to tell the checkout clerk
about my failed skit
he must have been some kinda jerk
He hadn't heard of it!!!

Damned ignorant cashiers. Damn them.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO SEX!

It has been a while. I hope it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far reviews I have been seeing say it's good. I've personally never played any of them so I don't really have a stake one way or another. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it quite a bit today. Don't think I've made it too far, I completed the first mission and then got to the main city area (Prague). The cover stuff is pretty nice, you can just "point and click" at the next place you wanna try to hustle over to, as long as it's in range.

The hacking thing is still in the game. I played/replayed HR recently, and decided it was more tedious than I care for now, but I'll say the controls of the minigame are a lot easier now, you just hit a button to capture / fortify. Visual contrast seems worse, though, all the little icons look about the same at a glance.

Playing mostly stealth / nonlethal so far, focusing on using tranquilizer rifle, and sleeper hold takedowns. You can grab guys around corners now, makes it a little easier sometimes.

Can't really evaluate "shoot shoot" stuff very well, because I'm playing stealth, but it seems approximately the same as HR. Not stellar, but completely serviceable. I will say that I like the new ammo types they have added, you can use armor piercing rounds, emp rounds, stuff like that, attach/detach silencer, etc.

A little bit overwhelmed by the game world now, in the Prague area, and the place where I met up with my bosses and coworkers. I didn't get yelled at for going into the ladies' room, and that's kind of disappointing, but.... maybe they haven't reviewed the security footage yet, maybe they will dock me after the next mission or something. Anyway, there's soooo many people, having little conversations, and obviously a couple of lines of dialogue if you talk to them directly, that's the overwhelming part. Really no way to keep up, I just chat up a few people here and there and hope I don't miss anything.

Bathroom humor aside, there's a bunch of places where it's segregated, so the humans get to use one ticket line, and the augmented people gotta use the other line. I know one time I blatantly used the human path to get outta the subway, and the police dude said something about it offhand, "you dirty clank, wrong line" or something. So, that was pretty cool.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So far reviews I have been seeing say it's good. I've personally never played any of them so I don't really have a stake one way or another. :]

Deus Ex was probably the best of the two (yes, two. Invisible War never happened. NEVER. HAPPENED.)

But it hasn't aged gracefully being an old 3D game. It's really hard to go back and play, which is a shame since it features so many things that are now standards in games like that. If you can get past the visuals, and the really wonky gunplay at the beginning 6 hours or so, you'll have a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to this one. I'll probably pick up a cheap copy for PS4 later.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't moved on to the next mission yet, I wanna keep running around the city area sneaking into banks and trying to investigate secret rave parties. Mixed results on both, I got some information (and ok, money too) at the bank but not what I need for the quest, and I know where the rave party is being held, but I don't have a passcard, and the alternate route I found is electrified. Can't figure out how to shut down the power, it sucks.

Quote:
If you can get past the visuals

Never looked into this myself, but I think they have some visual mods, or something like that. Some kind of fan remaster, I'm sure I've seen at least stories about such a thing.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus Dash, it turns out, is nice. It is much like blink in Dishonored, you just teleport a little ways forward, except you can upgrade it to include a knockout punch at the end, so you target a guy and knock his lights out, it's pretty great. I did this to a suspicious soldier, I used the tranquilizer rifle on his buddy, and so he freaks out when he makes his way back on patrol. Too bad that when he's running up to his fallen soldier to potentially wake him up, I'm targeting him with the dash move, and now they are both sleeping. But they are lucky, they won't fare so well when I do a less merciful playthrough.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this last night. It's a great game, at least on the first playthrough. However, the main storyline -- it is not directly bad, but it leaves much to be desired. There is not really very much conspiracy, not a lot of intrigue. (If you do not do the side quests, it is rather short. Side quests are phenomenal though, probably carry the game from a narrative standpoint.) Remember in the original your brother reveals a shocking secret at some point, well nothing like that happens either. And in the original the conspiracy stuff went so crazy that there were aliens in the game, this one definitely doesn't have aliens. That would have been awesome, I bet.

I'd kind of like to go through it again with more violent tendencies, but everytime I shoot someone, the whole city police force calls in an APB and wants to fight for 5 or 10 minutes. And, I'm using a silence pistol, even if you do this in someone's house, they might find out "somehow," so that takes away from the plan quite a bit.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And, I'm using a silence pistol, even if you do this in someone's house, they might find out "somehow," so that takes away from the plan quite a bit.

LOLWUT?

I know it's the future and all that, but I can't be a SEKRIT AGENT and attempt to operate when the all-seeing-eye of the fuzz is watching my every move. Kinda defeats the purpose of the game.

So it's like Human Revolution, only shorter and less thrilling? But still pretty good?
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So it's like Human Revolution, only shorter and less thrilling? But still pretty good?

Accurate. There's much less thrilling. It's a great lament. No kidnapped scientists, no FEMA camps. What a shame.

Give you 2 examples of the difficulties in killing people.

1. Got some bad cops running a bogus checkpoint, trying to shake down the augs before they can pass by. I use my lightning shooting ability, which allows me to target 4 bad guys at once and knock them all out, nonlethal. Mission accomplished, the scum bags are all out cold, the bad cop and his 3 buddies. No one complains, no commotion, despite me generating a fireworks show in broad daylight. I don't care, it's awesome. But, girl calls me up on the infolink, and she isn't happy that I left him alive, cause he'll wake up and get even more mad. I figure, she kind of has a point, so I get out my silenced pistol and put one round in the main guy's face. Now the streets become "warning status" and I hide behind cover for a minute to make sure things don't escalate. Not sure why this happened.

2. In the slums, where the augmented have to live if they don't have their permits, that's where I killed the one woman who got zesty with me. It was in a closed room, maybe I got seen through a window or something, maybe I left the door open when I went in, and it was a pretty small "living area" (it's the slums, they are basically living in shoeboxes, although the places were at least more cozy than the capsule hotels in HR, where they slept in lockers).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like bugs to me than an anything. The game is so keen on catching you doing funny things it ends up hitting way too many corner cases.

I'll definitely give it a shot..... later. Probably around Christmas or so.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geesh, bugs or not stuff like that defeats the purpouse of it being a stealthgame.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.