GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Green Onions - The I-Ching Saga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niunio Martinez
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Development Log - Green Onions - The I-Ching Saga Reply with quote

I had to create this thread a lot of time ago. My fault. :-(

In my new job we created a small game studio, and I'm near to finish the first game. Of course, it is programmed in Object Pascal and using my Allegro.pas port. 8-)

The game title is "Green Onions - The I-Ching Saga", and it's based in a comic book by my pal Ivan Sarnago. First beta was presented in a retro-event in my town a few weeks ago, and they liked it a lot.

Here you have the Grandmother of All Dragons, the final boss of the game.

As you see, it's a retro game. I'm using the MSX-1 specifications as guide, but it is not a perfect simulation. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the gameplay work? :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
How does the gameplay work? :]
You're the little guy in the bottom and move left or right. So, bad guys appears on the top of the screen and you should shoot them (or flee, but this mostly doesn't work) before they shoot you. Much like old arcade shooters. May be a bit of Blood Bros., but without aiming point.

There are a two players mode. I'll try to upload more screen shoots and/or videos as soon as possible.

And a download link too, if possible. :D
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, this looks fun :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was improving the graphics: Better backgrounds, better score bar and use of multicolor-texts. The last was possible on MSX due the way it stores the video images (Much like ZX but different), and several games used it that way.

Here you have the new intro screen:

Now I'm working on the configuration dialog/screen. You can see more screen shots in the official web page.

Edited by Niunio Martinez on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 am; edited 2 times
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how that turned out :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too ;)

Right now, the project is in halt waiting the publication of the comic book. I think next month we can release it.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I'm still here.

The game itself is finished (including the installation script), but there's no publishing date yet. :(

Anyway, few people has tested it and they liked a lot. :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've packed 3 release candidate versions, but they're still not happy. :-( They like it when they play the first time but some days after they start to say "we must add a new stage" or "you should let fire more than one projectile at once" or "that way the top-ten list works is hard to use"...

Anyway, I've upload the last one to the webpage (without links), so I think there will be a "leak" and somebody would download it. May be you. Just clicking this link, for example.

User manual is in Spanish, but I think it's quite simple to use. The final version should include an English version too.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I express how frustrated I am? Not about the game but about the customer.

He insisted to add one more stage an a bonus stage. That forced me to change some internals of the engine (my fault because I created a custom engine that isn't very flexible) so bugs arose everywhere. Now it doesn't work. Also people told me that Allegro 4 has issues with Windows 10 (some stuff don't work).

I think that I should rewrite everything creating a more flexible engine or find a yet created engine that I can use. Anyway I did a very bad work here. :(
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sign a contract with the customer when you began the game? If they want significant changes to something that everyone had previously agreed upon, I would probably tell them to go to hell.

Of course, that would probably not be good for the business relationship. It is a difficult choice, sometimes. :)
Ren
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
Did you sign a contract with the customer when you began the game? If they want significant changes to something that everyone had previously agreed upon, I would probably tell them to go to hell.

Well you should definitely charge them more at least :). You would need to go through a whole new development - deploy - test cycle, and time = money. But it is a bit late for that kind of advice it sounds like.

I think, don't beat yourself up about making mistakes in development, no-one ever wrote a perfect program. Maybe just implement the easiest fix to the clients requirements and present it to them. If they want more changes, say yes, but make it clear that further changes will be charged at an hourly rate.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add, at this stage in a project, it's no sin to hardcode stuff just to get it done instead of trying to refactor your engine to correct past design mistakes.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Niunio Martinez
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. I'll ask them to visit Mr. Diablo then build a dirty hardcoded fix and run with it.

I have to finish this ASAP: I have to make a new game.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hard (I'm still under emotional and psychological illness) but I recovered an old copy, I made it run and I've modified some stuff that should make it easy to add the new stages without breaking it out again. Wish me luck.

Diablo wrote:

Of course, that would probably not be good for the business relationship. It is a difficult choice, sometimes. :)
No, we didn't sign a contract. My fault. It's a long story.

The customer and myself created a business that included comics and computer games. This game should be to promote both (it's a game based in a comic book), so we didn't sign any paper. But I'll never do it again. I promise.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished the game (Release Candidate 5). The last boss is almost impossible. I hope they like it. [crossing_fingers]
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.