Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Sega Dreamcast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Sega Dreamcast Reply with quote

YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! DREAMCAST! A thread for whatever Dreamcast stuff pops up.

I miss the Dreamcast. ;). I would love to homebrew it some day, just to have done it.

So apparently a Raspberry Pi with an easy-to-make addon hardware can be used to simulate the old/long dead Dreamcast online service.

http://blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html

Practically speaking, I can't think of any game that I wish I could play again. But I have all the parts handy (a Pi, resistor, capacitor), so that and the novelty of being able to go online with it again, some 16 years later, makes me smile. :)

Actually I have a Raspberry Pi A+ (i.e. the original Pi without the RJ45 socket), so that combined with a cheapo network adapter might be a decent cause to sacrifice it to. And by that, I mean I'm never going to use it again anyway, so dedicating it to making the Dreamcast go online seems a good use for it. Better than gathering dust on a shelf (which I'm sure it'll do after anyway, but it'll gather dust with a purpose).

Ha, actually I'm pretty sure I'll never need it, nor use it more than once or twice. I don't care. In concept, I'm entertained by the prospect. ;)

EDIT: Ah, I see. I am missing a part. You need a cheap Linux compatible USB modem (I assumed that was an external Ethernet adapter, oops). I don't have one of those, but I certainly could get one. Also boo, I would need a 2nd USB port, or a small USB hub to make the Raspberry Pi A+ work (one for Ethernet, one for modem). Meh.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of games I wouldn't mind playing again, but there's no rush:

- Under Defeat
- Project Justice (Rival Schools 2)
- Jet Grind Radio
- Berserk

Dreamcast emulation exists but last time I checked was still highly imperfect. I should check again...
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool that that mod works with the default modem, much cheaper than buying the $300 LAN adapter.

There are Phantasy Star Online servers that allow connections from Dreamcast clients, I was keen on the idea of getting it to work by somehow simulating a modem for my Dreamcast to connect to, but it was all too much work and I just grabbed a PC copy of Blue Burst to play instead.

Sylverant is the Dreamcast server, but i believe all the cool kids play on Ephinea instead, something about drama with mods as I understand.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam C. Clifton wrote:
much cheaper than buying the $300 LAN adapter.

I'm still kicking myself. I remember not buying one when the Dreamcast was out, then furiously failing to find one when the homebrew stuff happened. I nearly bought a Dev Kit on a few occasions.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Sega Dreamcast

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.