Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Sega Dreamcast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Sega Dreamcast Reply with quote

YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! DREAMCAST! A thread for whatever Dreamcast stuff pops up.

I miss the Dreamcast. ;). I would love to homebrew it some day, just to have done it.

So apparently a Raspberry Pi with an easy-to-make addon hardware can be used to simulate the old/long dead Dreamcast online service.

http://blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html

Practically speaking, I can't think of any game that I wish I could play again. But I have all the parts handy (a Pi, resistor, capacitor), so that and the novelty of being able to go online with it again, some 16 years later, makes me smile. :)

Actually I have a Raspberry Pi A+ (i.e. the original Pi without the RJ45 socket), so that combined with a cheapo network adapter might be a decent cause to sacrifice it to. And by that, I mean I'm never going to use it again anyway, so dedicating it to making the Dreamcast go online seems a good use for it. Better than gathering dust on a shelf (which I'm sure it'll do after anyway, but it'll gather dust with a purpose).

Ha, actually I'm pretty sure I'll never need it, nor use it more than once or twice. I don't care. In concept, I'm entertained by the prospect. ;)

EDIT: Ah, I see. I am missing a part. You need a cheap Linux compatible USB modem (I assumed that was an external Ethernet adapter, oops). I don't have one of those, but I certainly could get one. Also boo, I would need a 2nd USB port, or a small USB hub to make the Raspberry Pi A+ work (one for Ethernet, one for modem). Meh.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of games I wouldn't mind playing again, but there's no rush:

- Under Defeat
- Project Justice (Rival Schools 2)
- Jet Grind Radio
- Berserk

Dreamcast emulation exists but last time I checked was still highly imperfect. I should check again...
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool that that mod works with the default modem, much cheaper than buying the $300 LAN adapter.

There are Phantasy Star Online servers that allow connections from Dreamcast clients, I was keen on the idea of getting it to work by somehow simulating a modem for my Dreamcast to connect to, but it was all too much work and I just grabbed a PC copy of Blue Burst to play instead.

Sylverant is the Dreamcast server, but i believe all the cool kids play on Ephinea instead, something about drama with mods as I understand.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam C. Clifton wrote:
much cheaper than buying the $300 LAN adapter.

I'm still kicking myself. I remember not buying one when the Dreamcast was out, then furiously failing to find one when the homebrew stuff happened. I nearly bought a Dev Kit on a few occasions.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Sega Dreamcast
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.