GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Amiibo Collecting Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're only going to make an Amiibo per character in Smash Bros, since what they actually do is act like a personalized AI bot that fights for you/with you. Voxel Mario is a bit of a special case, but I'm pretty sure the craze will die down soon after the Smash Bros roster finishes.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to being finished with Amiibos. All but 2 I'm waiting for come out in September, and 1 of 2 come out in October. So after October, it's just Ryu (a DLC character).
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I'm confused. After Smash, they are not done making new Amiibo, right?

Do you mean you are happy to be almost done with this *round* of Amiibo? I'm a little in the dark and haven't been following the craze at all. That said, I'm curious. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Sonrisu. Nintendo wont quit doing amiibo's for awhile. Too much easy money. All their upcoming wiiu games have amiibo "support".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm collecting Amiibo as a "fancier" version of collecting toys of game characters from my youth. Smash Bros is a series filled with classic game characters. That's what I was after.

Nintendo is making more Amiibo. They have wooly Yoshi toys, and Animal Crossing toys coming for example, as well as some obscure stuff like Chibi Robo. I've just decided I'm sticking to classic characters, and characters I like, most of which come from Smash Bros.

I have about 31 Amiibo today. By the time I'm done, I should have ~38, but depending on how future Smash Bros DLC goes, I may add another character or two bringing my Amiibo total to 40. That seems a nice number.

With a new Dragon Quest game coming, I would not be surprised if they do a Dragon Quest Amiibo, but I decided to collect Dragon Quest toys anyway.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Shulk amiibo from a jap importer for a slight premium. So that's that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Friday the new batch comes out.

Annoyingly, the blue (modern) colored Voxel Mario is initially only available in a Wii U+Mario Maker bundle... though it does look like it may be available in small quantities in Canada (the US likely a week or so later).

The brown one will be available, but 'cmon, I want 7 color Mario, not 3 color. ;)
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first non-Nintendo-published game to get an Amiibo. Not to mention, an Indie game.

PoV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! In the US it's only available in a Wii U Mario Maker Bundle, but in Canada:

Hey Voxel Mario!

One more set of 3 in two weeks: the retro characters (Duck Hunt, Mr Game & Watch, Rob).

I'm almost freeeeeeee!
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rise from your grave!

The good news: my Amiibo collection hasn't really changed (much?) this year.

The bad news: There's still 38 of them. ;)

Since I never really took a photoset when I "completed" my collection, here's one.

Oops, I guess I should have dusted too. ;)

And for completeness, my Dragon Quest toys found on the same shelf.

The main thing I've been waiting for is the FF7 Cloud Amiibo, which surprisingly, hasn't come out yet. A number of people assume it's going to come-out alongside the Nintendo Switch port of Smash Bros.

That said, since last year, one other Amiibo was announced, one I don't think I can ignore. And it's coming out December 2nd.

(hoping the image embeds correctly).

I'm really not a Zelda fan, but I have a lot of respect for the original NES game. And I can't say no to Voxels, so.

Minor collection things:

- I would have preferred R.O.B. with Famicom colors. They did eventually release the Famicom version in North America, but I'm not feeling too compelled to buy it, and swap him out.
- I'm surprised I don't have a Fox or Falco. I wanted a Falco, but I think it came out when I started to care less.
- Same for Lucas. I'll admit, I was never big on the Earthbound/Mother games, but I have Ness, and him alone seems like an oversight.
- There's a Boo amiibo (ghost) that looks pretty good. I don't really need it, but I've always liked the design.
- So far so good. No Goomba and Koopa Troopa Amiibos. ;)
- I would like to fit a NES mini in there, once the prices come waaaay down. On the plus, the R.O.B. Amiibo I have matches the NES mini better than a Famicom one would.
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart has a sale that started yesterday, $10 each.

Of course, Boo glows in the dark!!

I couldn't say no to that at $10. :D

*cough* ahem, I also grabbed Falco and Lucas (as mentioned in my last post of two I was considering), but I haven't uploaded a photo yet.

They had Famicom Rob for $10 as well, and Robin, but I think I'll hold out for a Female Robin. I'm guessing they're going to do a bunch of alternatives once the Smash Bros port comes out for Nintendo Switch.

My new 'maybe' list:

- Roy (just to have a more-complete Fire Emblem in Smash Bros set)
- Gannondorf (pretty difficult to find now, but if I find him for a decent price, why not)
- Shovel Knight (again, if I find him for a good price, why not)
- Orange Squid (unlikely to find, as it's only available in a 3-pack)
- Wool Yoshi (only if I managed to sell my other Yoshi)
- Famicom Rob (I doubt I'm going to do better than $10, but I'm torn. I don't really want to sell the US version, as it goes perfectly with the NES Mini. Maybe that's the reason to have him, to pair with the NES Mini, and Famicom stays in the collection)
- Chibi Robo (sold with a game, so tricky find)

My 'must buy' list:

- FF7 Cloud

My wishlist (things that don't exist):

- Goomba
- Fire Flower
- Something Castlevania
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Amiibo Collecting Page Previous  1, 2
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.