GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of the game is pretty mech heavy, so save up your EMP and HE grenade rounds if you can. You'll want every last one of them ;)

At least, I remember wishing I had more... heh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little more than halfway through it... and I have to say I think Atlus has managed to turn out a game that surpasses Persona 4. The overall story is more engaging, as opposed to P4's "find the killer" story where you're running around investigating crimes after-the-fact. Having the main dungeons designed rather than randomly generated just pushes it over the top.

Although I did love the video game dungeon from P4. That was priceless :D

I'm considering a NG+ run after I finish up. I probably won't be maxxing my social links on this run, for all the obvious reasons. I'm not using a guide.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Thimbleweed Park quite recently. Great game! I'm quite stuck in the puzzle-adventure game swamp. I finished Dreamfall: the longest journey before thimbleweed, and I will continue with Dreamfall Chapters.

I'm also playing RE5 with a friend, coop online campagins can be so much fun! But the writing is horrendous.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've abandoned Candleman about halfway through. Running out of light started to bother me. Will possibly finish when I'm low on options.

There's a demo for the new Prey game that comes out next week, which I played for a fair length yesterday evening. It's basically "Dishonored in Space," or something like that. (It's by the same studio, unsure about the same programmers within the studio though...) It's not perfect, but I did enjoy it and I might pick it up next week.

Right now I'm early on with Hitman, the new one. It's a really pretty looking game. I've never played the older ones -- well I tried a couple, but found them frustrating -- but so far I'm enjoying this one. It's just a rental because I figured high chance I'd hate it too, but I also wonder how much lasting appeal it will have... sneak around, steal someone's clothes, sneak around, steal another person's clothes, etc. The csenarios are entertaining for sure, but I'm not entirely sure about the depth of gameplay. I will give high marks to the reactions the NPCs in the levels have... for example, what happened when I saw a tv reporter and her cameraman reporting LIVE from a big-time Paris fashion show, and decided that I would walk in front of the shot... ha ha ha! ha ha ha ha!
PoV

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've waited over a month to do this.

Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried about the case. First using a knife to remove the shrinkwrap, you could scuff up the case doing that. Then you slam it down on the countertop pretty decisively, it is probably a rough night for that case.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha :)

I'm almost done... I think. My save file is up to ~97 hours, but I've been taking it slow.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me just under 14 hours to finish the first story. Still waiting to level up a stat point (guts, etc). My social links are doing pretty okay (since I know they're a thing). I have a good idea who I should be checking on to unlock new links, as the game progresses.

My only real mistake was having only 2 personas when the game decides to let you start fusing them. I didn't get a chance to save the level of my starter, so had to spend a while levelling it from 1 again. I'm getting a pretty good mix of personas. I have the basic elements (plus death and drain) covered by 3 personas. Even have a gun skill that just costs HP, which is nice. Also I'm surprised how effective sleep is. Maybe it's been a while, but I don't remember being much of status effect user. But throwing out a sleep here and there can really help you out of a bind (again, that starter persona's melee+sleep attack is vicious).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find a persona that blocks physical attacks, hold on to that mofo. That will make your life so much easier so long as they don't have obvious weaknesses. I had one that blocks all physical, and curse, and is weak to nuclear. Very few enemies use nukes ;)

I just offed the final boss last night, and clocked in just over 100 hours.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having played any persona, I find the use of "nuclear" as an attack type amazing. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed thoughts on Prey so far. Mainly, I don't like the combat so well, this is a common theme in Arkane games. I am playing on easy mode to work around this. The story is interesting, although some of the voice acting / character writing is a little bit unfortunate. But, there are definitely neat things from time to time.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I got myself stuck in a room earlier. The front door didn't have power connected, so it wouldn't open, but I found an air vent to get in... but then the door wouldn't open from the inside either. It took some creative jumping to get back up to the air vent... maybe I missed a more obvious way up, but I didn't see any ladders or stairs around.

BTW, ign review claimed that the PC version of Prey has some corrupted save game issues.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
Mixed thoughts on Prey so far. Mainly, I don't like the combat so well, this is a common theme in Arkane games. I am playing on easy mode to work around this. The story is interesting, although some of the voice acting / character writing is a little bit unfortunate. But, there are definitely neat things from time to time.

It does have a little System Shock vibe going for it, but the PS4 port has unforgivable input lag. I'm hoping that gets fixed, but I wouldn't count on it.

Update:

Finally done with Persona 5. That last boss wasn't the end. 116 hours total. Very tempted to do a NG+ but I dunno yet...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
When you find a persona that blocks physical attacks, hold on to that mofo. That will make your life so much easier so long as they don't have obvious weaknesses. I had one that blocks all physical, and curse, and is weak to nuclear. Very few enemies use nukes ;)

Nice. I like that strategy.

I'm level 20 now, about to enter the 3rd palace, doing much better with my skills and social links, and have every possible persona my level can unlock. I don't remember the persona list feature being so useful. I seem to have a much easier time this game breeding an ideal Persona to unlock whatever skills I need. I have 2 personas I jump between that cover every element (huge thanks to Regrant breeding). I was ready to get all Pokemon trainer, but I just unlocked the feature that lets you sacrifice personas for experience. So now the secret to breeding and levelling the perfect personas is money.

Quote:
I just offed the final boss last night, and clocked in just over 100 hours.

Nice. I'm assuming that wasn't the true ending final boss. I got really worried that Persona 5 wasn't going to live up to the amount of content the 4th game had (so much more detail now), but I'm glad to see that it really does. I think I liked the characters better in the last game, but they're still excellent in this one.

EDIT:

Quote:
Finally done with Persona 5. That last boss wasn't the end. 116 hours total. Very tempted to do a NG+ but I dunno yet...

Ah ha! That's Persona for ya. ;)

I probably wont NG+ Persona 5 right away, but I'm tempted to replay Persona 4 again after this. I should still have my PS2 save somewhere if there's a NG+.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona 4 Golden for Vita is on sale until tomorrow (under $10). It has some extra content over the original too.

I'm seeing if I can get a cheap PlayStation TV (Vita TV). Found someone selling one locally with an 8 GB card for $60. I offered $40, but I'll take $50.

I was hoping to find Final Fantasy Crisis Core for download, but it looks like Square messed up somewhere and was never allowed to distribute the game digitally.

Ah well. A dedicated Persona 4 Golden and Castlevania SOTN machine sounds fine to me. Honestly, any reason to remove the Xbox 360 from my setup is a plus.

EDIT: Okay, cheap Persona 4 Golden purchased. Now I just need the box.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damned robots won't talk to me anymore. I don't know if I made them mad (they don't identify as enemies, they don't attack me), or if it's a bug of some sort, but they won't heal me anymore. If they're going to ignore me, I might just start killing them for materials.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah FFCrisis Core. That game is actually quite fun. As was Dirge of Cerberus. And Dissidia.

The FF spinoff games are quite good. :]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
I probably wont NG+ Persona 5 right away, but I'm tempted to replay Persona 4 again after this.

I feel like I left a good bit of story on the table with my social links. I'd like to replay just to see them all maxxed. Getting a slink to rank 6-7 is a giant tease if you don't see it through to the end :(

Out of P3-P5, this is the first one where I didn't max all my social stats :/ I missed a point in guts and kindness. There were far, far too many nights where the cat just told you to go to sleep, when I could have trained or went out. I had a bunch of confidants in the 7-ish rank that I couldn't max out before the end of the game. I tried to make sure I had a compatible persona before spending time with a confidant, but I didn't take advantage of the gift-giving mechanic. There's also a confidant that will make it easier to up your social stats and links, but you have to meet her and get her up a good way before this becomes possible.

I felt a good bit of anxiety knowing I was running out of time and missing so much potential power. But in the end it was much ado about nothing, as I easily rolled the last boss. It could have been a tougher fight had it ran on longer...

Make sure you open all of Mementos before the game ends.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:

Got it!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
Sirocco wrote:

Got it!

It's nothing Earth-shattering if you don't; but it may make for an awfully long end of the game. And you don't have to open all of it, just get as far as the game will let you.

I want to be hopelessly in love with P5... it's impressive as hell. It does have a few arrows that seem to have missed their mark. I think I enjoyed the group banter and cohesion a bit better in P4, if barely. That, and the ending's final events didn't have a smooth ramp... it all just sorta explodes in your face all at once. I think it was a little too easy, but then again I've already been through two other Personas. That might be coloring my perception.

Having the cat as your walking mascot, constant companion, and potential battle partner was a fucking win tho :D

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Persona 4 was just so incredibly fresh and different. Up until that point I'd never played a game like it (my first Persona game). Going back, 3 felt like a clumsier version of 4, and though I tried to like 1 and 2 I couldn't stick with them. In hindsight 3 was when they figured out how to make it good, and 4 is when they did.

Thus far 5 is excellent, but I get it now, and so does the team. 5 will never live up to my expectations, but it's still a very enjoyable game.

It would be nice to see another Persona game in less than a decade though (Persona 4: July 2008).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
Thus far 5 is excellent, but I get it now, and so does the team. 5 will never live up to my expectations, but it's still a very enjoyable game.

It's everything I had hoped for, and a little more. I kinda screwed myself over my playing P4 first, because it turned out to be the pinnacle of the franchise. P3 had its moments but there was no comparison whatsoever... heheh. P2 was interesting, but the combat was slow and drained my patience with the game.

After seeing the 'new' palaces, I can't go back to Tartarus/Menentos/etc. Mementos was easily my least favorite part of P5. The phone integration was actually useful and non-grating like it is in other games (GTA V). Did you also notice that the non-mythological enemies are gone entirely? No more floating tables and chairs :D There's still a few oddities like the Mechanical Jack Frost King, but those are reserved for Atlus throwbacks.

I wish they had done more with the guns, though. I think that mechanic was under-explored....

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah guns tend to be just a 2nd "elemental" type for weapons. The fact that gun skills exist too tends to make it an actual element (but there's melee skills too, so).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started Thimbleweed Park.

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That (or Night in the Woods) should be next in my queue too, after Persona 5 and some Zelda (I doubt I'll finish Zelda).

I wouldn't mind spending a few minutes with Super Rude Bear too, just to have played it.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.