GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Adventure in Rulon Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can shit on your code all day long... but no one can shit on someone who gets things done ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
but no one can shit on someone who gets things done ;)

Oh they can, but it just proves they're full of shit. ;)

Yeah, give streaming a try. It's not the by-all and end-all answer, but sometimes good things happen. What were you going to use all that bandwidth for anyway? ;)

There's something to be said for the watchful eye of others. Even if nobody is watching, the fear of someone catching you slacking is real. ;)

I would do it more myself if I wasn't doing stuff that risks broadcasting my passwords to the world (web and server stuff). I also ... have a few too many "opinionated" people that follow me, and given my real deadlines it could be distracting.
AdmiralTofu
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo's back.

Still might stream anyway, though. The more I think about it, the more scaryfun it sounds.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stream it! I have thought about doing this myself, actually. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today at my Day Job, I set up a VM on my work computer and put Ubuntu MATE and my dev environment on it, so I can code whenever I have any free time. I usually just browse Reddit or YouTube whenever there's a lull at work; it'll be nice to put that time to actual use instead.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AdmiralTofu
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got flood fill implemented in the map editor. It's a whopping seven lines of code, four of which are recursive calls to itself. Thanks, Wikipedia!

EDIT: Stack overflow! That'll teach me. New version's still pretty compact, though.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdmiralTofu wrote:
EDIT: Stack overflow!
I didn't saw one of that errors for a long long time. What the hell did you do? Just curious.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niunio Martinez wrote:
AdmiralTofu wrote:
EDIT: Stack overflow!
I didn't saw one of that errors for a long long time. What the hell did you do? Just curious.

My map editor's flood fill algorithm used the first implementation shown in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_fill. It recursively calls itself until there's nothing left to fill. It worked just fine... for small areas. When I tried to test it out on something much larger (the ocean on my world map), the obvious happened.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that algorithm isn't the best. I did implement a flood-fill a lot of time ago. Instead of go "pixel per pixel" I did horizontal runs. I mean, from the seed "pixel" I search the left and right limits. Then I fill the line and start two loops: one for the "pixels" above and another for the "pixels" below (actually you can do that in just one loop, though), and call recursively only if the new seed is "empty". That subroutine was able to fill quite big and complex areas IIRC.

Also may be you can fix this by using a non-recursive algorithm, managing your own stack.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niunio Martinez wrote:
Yes, that algorithm isn't the best. I did implement a flood-fill a lot of time ago. Instead of go "pixel per pixel" I did horizontal runs. I mean, from the seed "pixel" I search the left and right limits. Then I fill the line and start two loops: one for the "pixels" above and another for the "pixels" below (actually you can do that in just one loop, though), and call recursively only if the new seed is "empty". That subroutine was able to fill quite big and complex areas IIRC.

Also may be you can fix this by using a non-recursive algorithm, managing your own stack.

Yeah, I wound up going with a non-recursive version that pushes any adjacent valid pixels into a queue, and runs through the queue until it's empty. (It's actually the second implementation listed on that Wikipedia article). I could have optimized it, but it's only for the map editor and works just fine even on huge expanses of map area. I'm just happy it doesn't crash.

That was embarrassing. lol

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
AdmiralTofu
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally updated my work log (an extension of my TODO list that, ideally, I should be updating every week with what I've accomplished the past seven days). It now has an entry marked 9/19 - 12/18/16.

That's embarrassing. Glad I'm back in the groove at least.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
AdmiralTofu
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the scripting system finally! All in all, a very productive week so far, and I still have tomorrow to go. The scripting stuff is going to occupy my entire weekend, so my work log for the week is complete outside of that.

Most of this week was spent working on under-the-hood stuff in the field module, as well as getting scrolling text windows working (the last piece I needed to get in place before I could start on scripting support).

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
AdmiralTofu
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tux helping me code!

This past week, aside from working on the new, fun, shiny Acronia, I've also been working on shared code for both games that will make the map editor even less necessary. My goal is to make laying out maps in Photoshop and plain-text files very easy, with the in-game editor only necessary for detail stuff like adding actors or edge tiles.

And even then, not strictly necessary -- just easier.

Updates soon.

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your keyboard does not have OS keys. I like that. I like that a lot :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
Your keyboard does not have OS keys. I like that. I like that a lot :)

Thanks! Although, I must admit, eventually I plan on getting a 103-key Unicomp Model M. :) Gonna order Tux keycaps in place of the Windows key.

The keyboard in the picture has been my daily driver for about a month now; I found it in the basement of the place where I work. It worked just fine (with an AT to PS/2 adapter, daisy-chained to a PS/2 to USB adapter), so I decided to restore it. Took it completely apart, cleaned it out on the inside, washed each keycap individually, and then Retr0brighted the entire thing. I'm very happy with it. It's not mechanical (it's slider-over-rubber-dome), but it's still a lot nicer than squishy modern 'boards, so I like it :)

I'm mildly obsessed with keyboards recently...

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Adventure in Rulon Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.