GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Off Topic - Summer 2017 Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder why they put the arrowkeys above the numpad.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it might be related to preventing the Amstrad henchmen from playing tetris or other such games while performing their evil tasks - really I gotta figure it'd get old fast having to hold your arm above the number keys - but if maintaining worker productivity was their goal, then they probably shouldn't have built a walkman into the keyboard at the same time,
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are saying that if we're not careful with AI and Machine Learning, it may lead to a "Skynet" situation. I don't see it.

;)
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is minGW+Cygwin still the toolchain I want for developing on Windows? All I want to do is gcc files together with a makefile.

Are they both still legitimate/maintained? Is there something better? :]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows unlike Mac and iOS 11 actually maintains backwards compatibility (#ShotsFired). Even Windows 10, the sad excuse for an OS that is, can still run old applications. They just might make you jump through hoops to do it (popups like "this is not a Windows store app, are you sure"). If I remember this used to be worse, but backlash made them stop being such a-holes.

So to answer your question: Yes it'll work.

MinGW with MSys and Cygwin are 2 separate things, but Cygwin does have MinGW binaries available in their repo. You don't need Cygwin, as most things you want are available in MSys. Cygwin just gives you access to everything, including XWindows, libSSL, and every other super obscure Unix/Linux tool. MSys gives you all of the essentials, like GNU make.

There are other projects, like MINGW64, which is actually a completely separate project by different people. I haven't been a Windows user in a few years, so I don't have much to add here. I actually reported an SDL 2.x bug with the original MinGW+MSys way, that wasn't an issue in MinGW64. Use that information however you like.
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a regular ordinary flat carpet.

BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That carpet freaks the hell outta me.

Hello Youtube. I know you are suicidal and are trying to kill yourself but some of your efforts are just silly. Ads are important and we all know you are struggling with those at the moment. However I must strongly question why there are 5 seconds ads that just shows the Youtube logo. Does this really generate revenue for the content creator or is it just there to remind people of where they are at?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that, but other sites you get something similar when for whatever reason they can't fill an ad.

I keep hearing/reading that the algorithm that decides whether a video can be monetized is acting up. Using the word Lesbian is red flagging; Certain thumbnails that are clearly not offensive are red flagging; Apparently mentioning Bill Nye and some science thing I don't understand red flags too.

Hooray for Machine Learning.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That algorithm is beyond broken. It flags minecraft videos from people that never curses for goodness sake. That AI is clearly an SJW on drugs lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I literally just saw this on Twitter.

I'm still wondering if the keyboard is functional. Even though the keys are way too small, having access to the Function keys would be nice.
Niunio Martinez
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't summer finished on September 21/22?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the size is right, I could hang that C64 off my rear-view mirror :D
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three episodes in, the new "Star Trek" does not feel like Star Trek. I'm willing to give it a chance though, maybe it will get there(Ep. 3 was already a huge improvement over 1 and 2) but my hopes and expectations are quite low since it will presumably be all about war and stuff, I don't expect a whole lot of science in that fiction, mostly mindless action sequences, fast cuts, odd camera angles, very little dialog and all that newschool "dark, gritty, edgy" craptitude which wants to be the new "realistic"... well... we'll see. STD as an acronym does not help to generate sympathetic feelings.

Also, the Klingons... I don't like how they look and the fact that they're talking Klingon all the time is just annoying.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Star Trek is... pointless. It's not set in the Prime timeline. It can't be legally. It's Paramount doing the series not CBS. That's why it looks more Kelvin and that's why the Klingons are so effed up. So, it scores full points on the pointless scorecard.

It's also extremely stupid. 5 minutes into the first episode the Captain breach the prime directive.
The Klingon's doesnt even sound Klingon when speaking klingon.

Hell, I want a contination of star trek after Voyager. I want them to boldly go where no man has gone before instead of rethreading the past and screwing up the canon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is definitely not old-Trek. I agree it was clear pretty early on that it was its own thing.

That said I don't mind it. We got a lot of good Trek in the 90's. Even Enterprise I enjoyed. At this point I'm perfectly happy to group Star Trek in a few different boxes.

- Original Trek (Shatner, Nemoy)
- Classic Trek (which for me is the 90's)
- New Trek (JJ Abrams Trek and this, continuity aside)

With the advent of Netflix, I can freely watch all the Classic Trek I want. I wish I could do the same with Bablyon 5, but I'm happy that Trek is there.

I'm of the opinion that TV is at its saddest when there are no "space ship shows" on it. As much as I loved Trek, Star Gate and the new Battlestar Galactica were big favourites of mine. Star Gate didn't become a space-ship-show until halfway through its run, but by then Trek had winded down so it filled the gap.

Because for a while, there was nothing on TV.

The only thing remotely space-shippy was Doctor Who. A fine show, but that's not the Sci Fi I grew up with.

This new Trek is not my Trek. That doesn't mean it's not worth watching. I'm enjoying it as a non-Trek Trek. Story wise it's going in a darker Deep Space Nine'esc direction, which is cool. Trek hasn't been here before.

Will I love it? Probably not. But just as the Brits got their classic Sci Fi back, I got mine. It's different. It's not what I grew up with, but if it's this or nothing, I'll gladly take this.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Off Topic - Summer 2017 Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.