GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Cooking Thread. Ya, that's food making yo! Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second day, the meatloaf cut waaay easier.

Ha! I'm actually more used to 2nd-day meatloaf than I am fresh.

Anyways, if it wasn't for the oversized vegetables in the meatloaf, it would have held together perfectly. This I know now. Every break reveals some honking large onions.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I'm on a Meatloaf kick.

After wrapping up Ludum Dare 39, I decided to celebrate by making another meatloaf.

One thing I really like about meatloaf is that it's so much easier to make than some of my other dishes. I think the prep including sauteeing took no more than 45 minutes, but I did decide to keep the recipe simple.

Started with a mix of finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, and a jalepeno. Sauteed them in a pan with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to reduce them.

(they were more done before I took them off the heat)

After taking them off the heat, I deglazed with bit of white wine, which worked great to release some of the browning on the pan and on to the vegetables.

I should have let them cool more, but I went ahead and added them to:

* about 2 lbs of lean ground beef (a bit less)
* 1 lb of regular ground pork
* 1 cup of milk soaked breadcrumbs (yes I literally added milk to a bowl of breadcrumbs, stirred them, came back and it solidified)
* 2 eggs
* pepper, salt
* dry oregano, basil, and thyme
* little bit of chicken stock

Mixed together by hand. Result was a very mushy mush. I wasn't sure it was going to solidify that well at first.

On a sheet of parchment paper, I placed it inside a cake pan, and made an effort NOT to touch the sides. I also shaped it best I could height and width wise in to a rectangular blob of meat.

Finally, I spread a mixture of ketchup and steak sauce on top. Covered with tinfoil.

Put it in the oven at 375 F for 1 hour.

Tinfoil removed, it was quite moist. Almost an inch of liquid in the pan!!

Thanks to its large size, I was able to safely drain the liquid from the pan without the loaf sliding much. I put it back in the oven for 15 minutes to brown.

I was actually ready to throw it in again, but after 15 minutes... you know, that actually looked totally fine.

Let stand for 10 minutes.

Beautiful.

Sliced much better, and had excellent stability compared to the first attempt.

Very moist, but stable.

It looked just like my late grandmother's meat loaf, so I served it like my late grandmother's meatloaf: On a plate, with some HP steak sauce.

I haven't had my late grandmother's meatloaf in like a decade (she stopped cooking later in life), but I'd like to think I did a pretty acceptable interpretation. It was almost entirely improvised. Took a few ideas I read earlier in the week, and put them in to practice.

To be honest, there's not much to complain about.

Tasting just the meat (no sauce), I'm actually pretty happy with this. I bet this exact recipe would make a good meatball (i.e. the same thing in ball form vs loaf). It might be tricker to drain the liquid before browning, but that's fine.

Huh.

I think that's a win.
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A dry aged steak for $5? You better believe I'm buying it. Hell, I'm cooking it right now too (11 PM).

This is the day you've been waiting for, Cast Iron pan I restored weeks ago.

Seasoned with Salt and Pepper (more pepper wouldn't have hurt). Knob of butter in the pan, some dry Thyme and Rosmary. Basted with the butter as it cooked.

:D

Even the fat was good. ;)

I love this pan.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my cast iron to cook literally everything that requires stove top cooking. They are the best. :]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn, that looks delicious :D

Pepper-crusted steak is so good. And it doesn't overwhelm the flavor, so you can go a little heavy without hurting the dish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I grabbed a Pressure Cooker for cheap ($30) some weeks ago. I still haven't used it, and until this evening I may have forgotten I had it.

So I started doing some searches, and some things that caught my eye were curries. Indian, Thai, and Japanese.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/pressure-cooker-japanese-curry/

I've had a pack of Japanese curry in my pantry for ... gosh, it's been years. I think I may give the above recipe a try tomorrow, both to try it and to try out the pressure cooker.

The only ingredient I need is Chicken.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love spit food.

Obviously it's not practical to have a slow roasting spit at home (also that cleanup, ouch). But I can explore some ideas like it.

I can get a fantastic Shawarma and Gyro at two different places here in town, as well as some "lesser but still good" ones just few minutes away. But I'm kinda intrigued by Tacos al Pastor.

https://www.mylatinatable.com/best-tacos-al-pastor-recipe/

I can't remember if I've had them before or not. I've been to some classy parties in San Francisco that had tiny food-truck tacos. The video above summarizes what's great about spit food, the slow cooked nice crispy outside and tender inside. I can probably come up with something, like roasting it on a stick/butterknife in the oven (like a fake immoble spit).

Hmm.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that's interesting. This woman's Gyro meat recipe is nearly identical to my meatloaf, except she uses Lamb+Beef (I tend to do Pork+Beef), and Cumin.

I need to check a few more recipes, see if Cumin and Lamb really are the main differences.

EDIT: Okay, recipes are more random than I thought. Even more indistinguishable from meat loaf.

- Some use cumin, some don't
- Some use other spices (marjoram, rosemary, paprika)
- Pretty much any spice is fair game
- The only real distinguishing factor is the fine mince in a food processor, rather than allowing it to be a bit chunky

Supposedly "authentic" Gyros aren't even lamb. Pork, exactly like a Tacos Al Pastor is the more traditional meat, just different seasoning (less spicy).

I've seen some that go ground Beef+Lamb+Pork in a 2:2:1 ratio, and others that go with just meat on a spit (again indistinguishable from other spit roasted meats).

Conclusion: .. *shrug*. I guess it boils down to what you want to serve it on (a pita or a tortilla), and what toppings and sauce. Hmm.

Well in general I guess I need to cook more with Cumin (and Paprika, and Turmeric). Really all the spices and seasonings. The only one I seem to really have a grasp of is salt. Not even Pepper I feel I truly get (but I'm far more confident with it than I used to be).
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I didn't expect this. Watched this dude make a Cheddar cheese. He documented the process, but it's mostly waiting.

Start:

3 Months:

6 Months:

1 Year:

Before I started I was all "naw, I don't need to make cheese". But by the end dude had become a sweater wearing grandpa in a chair sampling his cheese. It's almost comical.

But clearly he has the last laugh, 'cause now I'm thinking "if I had a basement, okay, I would want to try that". Actually I want to try aging some meat too. Wine-making I can do without (Dad did it, it was okay. Box wine is cheap enough). But shit, aging food is more up my alley.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of shaved meat at home.

I like how they used a skewer stick in an onion here, and baked. That's rather classy.

EDIT: Or here's an actual Tacos Al Pastor recipe, the result of a bunch of research on cuts of meat and cooking method:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/food-lab-tacos-al-pastor.html

Requires a pre-cooking step, but seems to be well received.

It also uses Bacon, which just makes everything better.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that looks amazing...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up at a grocery store this evening. While I was there...

... I found a good price for a Pork Shoulder/Butt (~$8). Cool.

I mentioned Cubano Sandwiches a couple pages ago. I improvised an interpretation using polish deli meats, and frankly it was actually pretty good. But the thing I was missing was the Mojo Pork. i.e. a pork shoulder marinated in Orange Juice, Citrus, Garlic, and Spices.

Orange Juice is my #2 favourite beverage, and I've found a lot of recipes that call for other Citrus (Lime, Lemon), but I've been hankering for something that uses orange.

Of course the whole Cubano Sandwich thing is inspired by the Jon Favreau movie "Chef". And this awesome YouTuber made a great breakdown video.

And gawd damn it, him standing there going "OMG" drives me crazy. I need to try Mojo Pork. :D

So that's the plan. I'm going to pick up ingredients tomorrow and start the first part (takes 12 hours in the fridge), then hopefully roast this up on Sunday, and enjoy me some Cubanos.

If this works out, I have the best date idea. ;)
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So heh, it looks like this will effectively be a 48 hour recipe. ;)

Trimmed off some excess fat from the pork, and scored. The shoulder was actually too big to fin in my bowl, so I cut it in half, and vacuum sealed the other half.

First time I've used my vacuum sealer. ;)

Prepared a brine of Orange Juice, Spiced Rum, Garlic, Herbs, and a few other ingredients... lots of salt of course (it's a brine).

And submerged.

Running late, I pulled the pork out of the Brine 40-some hours later.

Now a marinade of juice and zest of oranges and limes (plus the limes themselves to fill space).

Cilantro, Mint, Oregano, oh and MORE garlic.

Submerged the pork in the marinade for another couple hours.

I only really gave it a bit over 2 hours in the marinade, so I ended up with a layer of thick marinade on top before roasting.

It should be coming out soon. ;)
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not going to say it's the best thing ever, but there's a lot to like about it. I've definitely never tasted this before.

My cut was pretty fatty, so after eating all the good stuff along the outside (cough), I didn't quite end up with as much meat as I would have liked. There was also the middle part. According to the thermometer it was up to temperature, but I wasn't happy with how it looked. So I disposed of some of it. I cooked it at 375 degrees instead of 350 as was recommended, so it took a bit under 2 hours. I blame that for making the middle less than desirable (or maybe the cut, I don't know).

What I would change:

- Start buying better limes. It's hard to zest fruit without a bumpy surface
- Stick with the 12 hour (i.e. overnight) brine. Maybe use a little less OJ in a smaller bowl.
- Buy the correct ingredients, lol. I made a mistake, and bought something called "Fish Mint", which I thought was "Fresh Mint". I also bought Italian Parsley instead of Cilantro. Anyway, I know what the leaf looks like now.
- More marinate time (3-4 hours?)
- Slow cook for lower longer. Stick with 350, or maybe go 330 and cook for 3+ hours.

Anyway, tomorrow we make Cuban Sandwiches with real Mojo Pork.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Cooking Thread. Ya, that's food making yo! Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.