GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Glue Gun Glen Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New page means new plug. For those who might have missed it, there's a new level featuring pipes available via early access.

try it here - gluegunglen.com/wip

The latest version has some additional bugfixes relating to user input and initial resource loading, which should cut down on errors and glitches.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, a doubleheader. First, the pipe "playground" level, merely a place where I spent some length of time testing and debugging until things got to be looking just about right:

Highlights of the new functionality:

- Ability to pick up objects and throw them into pipes one tile above player. It feels natural, like something you'd expect to happen and you'd get mad at the game if you tried it and it didn't.

- Ability for player to jump into a pipe that is one tile above his position, provided nothing is in the way. Same reasons here, plus it enhances mobility within the game and makes some new puzzle concepts available.

- Application of gravity to objects that either hit the end of the pipe or run into an object partway through that blocks them. It's not actually true gravity that does this, though. Any time an object is within a pipe and is no longer moving (travel plan has been erased), the game tries to form a new travel plan moving downward. But, the catch here is that this new travel plan must be able to move down as its first move - if object is already "down" (e.g. at the bottom of a pipe), it won't move at all via gravity.

- Ability for player characters to move again if becoming "stuck" in the pipe. So, if player goes to the bottom of a pipe and hits a dead end, player can then press up arrow to travel back to the top.

Here's another brief clip, which shows off another feature where a block that exits a pipe while moving upward will move the object "blocking" it up along with it. See how this can also provide new puzzle elements to the game:

Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entire last week spent (wasted?) on adding a grappling hook to the game. "Buggy as hell" barely begins to describe how well it works - it'll hold up well enough for a demo video, but there are still scenarios where it bombs hardcore, sometimes because programming isn't ready to handle it and sometimes because the code that's there just doesn't hold up. To be honest, I'm very undecided on whether I'll keep this in the game or not. The stability of the code is a serious issue - if I can't get it working better, it won't be viable. But, I'm also not enitrely sold on the concept itself as making a good fit with the game. Once I've made one "mission impossible" level where you dodge the lasers, I've made them all - and then what's next? Momentum-based tarzan swings from one platform to another? It's not really what I'm going for - it's a thinker's puzzle game, where you can plan your move for 5 minutes if you'd like, it's not a twitch platformer. Still, it is a cool gadget.

Here's the concept level for grappling hook.

Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Glue Gun Glen Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.