GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 73, 74, 75  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
I'll admit I committed my first far cry ragequit today. I was about done anyway, but I was in a cave system trying to burn down this evil tribe's stuff. I thought they were pretty much all dead, but I was way off - got rushed by maybe 8 of them, some with bow and arrow. My tiger (?) got killed, and my spear was no match for them all. I definitely will seek vengeance against them, just have to take it slower next time.

I found out what happened. It doesn't matter if you clear the whole cave - I actually probably did the first time through. But after you set fire to about 25% of the enemy cave, new enemies spawn in out of nowhere. Again at around 50% and 75%. So that's pretty high on the "lame" scale, however once you know it happens (and I assume it will happen any time I raid a cave) you can be ready for it.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Primal quite a bit, but never finished it. There was just so much to do, and I knew that as soon as I finished the campaign I'd never pick the game up again, that I quite ironically never finished the game at all. Weird, I know. But that's me. I pretty much just had to knock out the leaders of the two tribes... all my gear was maxxed out and I'd done all the hunts, side quests, etc. I think I had a bunch of cave stuff to find, but that really didn't interest me much.

Quote:

Keeping an eye on this one. From what I know you can ride camels around. If anything really amazing happens like the ability to ride elephants, please let me know.

No elephants yet. But I'm nowhere near done with the game.

Origins has been fantastic so far. Me and a few friends are attempting to co-op the game even without co-op. We all play the game at the same time and follow each other around the map, taking on the same quests at the same time. It's pretty interesting, and sometimes mildly rage-inducing when you're having trouble with something that your friends are breezing through.

The side-quests are all pretty well designed and have an unusually high level of variety to them. Usually when you play an open-world game each time you enter a new region you're presented with the same 5-6 quests, just reskinned. It's nice to not see that so much.

And the game scores major points for using the analog stick to control your movement from a crawl to run -- so there's no clicking L3 to run. If you're pushed the analog stick all the way out, you're running... as Our One True God Cthulhu intended.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not actually playing anything, but I just sold my PS4, and bought a used PS4 Pro. I did really well. Total upgrade cost: $125 ($160 CAD).

I'm ready for this now.

Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not actually playing anything,

IIRC you have not one but two nintendos ... but... you're not playing Mario? On either of them? Amazon delay the order maybe? There has to be a reason!
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Ludum Dare coming up in 4 weeks, so I'm crunching again on that.

I think the only game I've played the past month was ~15 minutes of Spelunky earlier today, just to confirm the PS4 Pro was working.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had logged over 60h in Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition a couple of years ago but never finished it due to just getting distracted in the world, doing random stuff.

So, decided I'd start a fresh run... this time however I already got distracted on day 1, not by the game but by checking out some of the mods to improve the games visuals and to see how/if all that works in Wine by now(it does!).

This is what it looks like now with 4GB patch, script extender, ENB series, NMC's textures(medium), Nevada Skies Weather effects, EVE and Wasteland Flora Overhaul(Fertile Version):

Also installed fun stuff like pretty gentlemen with equippable boners and big bouncy natural breasts on superheroine bodies for the ladies. Have not installed the sex mods yet but we all know, it's just a question of time...

No screenshots for the NSFW parts because image hosts usually do not approve of that.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been decent fun for a bit, but I might check out of Far Cry Primal. I became specifically unhappy today when I used my recoinnaisance (someone fix my spelling) owl to drop a beehive in the center of an enemy camp, and then magically all of the enemies knew just where to look for me and call for backups. Then, after I dealt with almost everyone - there was just one last enemy, a heavy warrior. But because I unlocked Heavy Takedown skill, it wasn't gonna be a big deal (already got the other one). I decided to use my slingshot to throw a rock behind him so he'd turn around. He was going to turn around eventually either way, I just thought I'd speed it up. Of course, ,the rock decided instead of going over the fence, it would smack right into it, alerting the heavy enemy to my location. Even then I could have salvaged things, but some kind of log / small embankment wouldn't let me up, thus denying my attempt at ring around the rosey. (rosie?) And then of course I died. Super lame.

Also, I realllllly missed the vehicles that far cry usually has. The good news is that in the new one that's coming out, you can drive farm equipment, and you can even run people over with it . I am still very excited about this.

I've also been trying to get back into Ark (Early Access evolved). You know what? There's some great news about that, actually - it's officially released, like you can go into the store now and buy it on the shelf for 60USD or whatever. Not an early access title anymore, which means they got rid of all of the bugs and ev.. There's a handful of problems though. First of all I played it quite a bit already, so there's a sense of "been there done that." The other problem is related to gameplay balance changes they've made since I last played. I already knew I'd be unhappy with them. Your bird for example, he can't fly nearly as fast, and his stamina is that of a last-place distance runner who constantly stops to "tie his shoes" aka catch his breath. I thought maybe I'd build a raft for taming, and try to start using raptors and stuff - could be fine, right? Could be. However, the raft idea is a complete no-go, as they've added a new loch ness monster typo of thing that eats your raft all the time. The raft frankly was already a POS, just because it had a top speed of somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 km/h, but now it's nothing more than a death wish. What really gets me is that I read some guy who researched this loch ness monster, and the game cheats big time - it intentionally spawns the loch ness monster any time a raft is put in the water. Not that I would feel much different if the game simply placed nessie randomly and you just had the "bad luck" of running into it, but deliberately killing rafts by putting her right next to them at spawn, that's just a troll move.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too many hours of Grim Dawn. I like the character development and the devotion points system. Feels more satisfying to level up a char than in Diablo III.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMNATION. That looks fun, but it's not for xbox. It does appear that they're working on it, but no release date in sight.

Meanwhile I am a masochist, still running the Destiny raid. This is not a knock on the raid itself, which I think is cool (hence I continue) ... but it's incredible how many ways people can find to fail the encounters. Even a task as simple as running around a circle, avoid the pits in the ground and not falling in - people will fall in. Then someone else will fall in. Then someone's headset isn't working at a key moment, and you get another failure. Then someone falls in again. Then someone has to change the laundry, and after everyone waits around for a few minutes, someone forgets what they were supposed to do. Then 2 people fall in the pit. It's incredible!

I think I'm going to pick up Super Lucky's Tale on thanksgiving sale. It's about a cute looking fox, I think it's basically like a poor man's mario. A couple outlets gave it some rough reviews, but I've also seen a lot of happy feedback from user reviews - I'll probably be willing to roll the dice.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC: Origins is still totally fantastic.

There have been a few minor bugs (and a few stuck quests, but they all feature a reset function that actually works), but I have no serious complaints. I'm at max level but have yet to finish the main story line. I've been doing every side quest and activity I can find. The amount of variety is impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Octopath Traveler demo is good shit.

I've been putting in an hour or so for the last few nights, just messing around. Can't wait for the full game.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wandering around New Vegas some more (~40h or so). With the exception of side quests and areas that I had already explored thoroughly in my first run, I think I'm about where I left it the last time when it comes to the main story line. I feel like I might abandon it again, not feeling particularly drawn into the story and my thirst for exploring a depressingly dead and broken wasteland appears to be quenched for the moment. Haven't even touched the DLCs. Or maybe I'll just take a break from it and return with fresh eyes in a week or two.

Or maybe I just wait till Fallout4 is on sale again.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or maybe I just wait till Fallout4 is on sale again.

Fallout 4's world is way worse designed than 3/NV and the story is bad. The only aspect that is better with F4 is the gunplay but it's hardly an rpg.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still grabbed it. Test videos and mag reviews seemed good enough and it just went on sale 3 days after I wrote that. :D Also coincidentally it just happens to be playable with the latest bleeding edge Wine Staging version 2.21 and some minimal workarounds. It's like someone's reading my thoughts, watching over me and shaping the world to my liking (bring on the pronoia!).

The negative reviews due to the Creator's Club outrage(which is likely blown out of proportion anyway) can probably be ignored. There is even a free mod available which removes all hints to CCs existence from the game.

Dialogues seem simpler than in the previous two 3D-Fallout's but from the rest of the test videos it seems it still has the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and the perks stuff is also still there.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got over 30 hours on Rocksmith 2014 Remastered. I've gotten far enough in the game that my guitar needed an overhaul in the tuning to really progress into more advanced techniques and higher levels on the mini games. I got a used guitar and it was good for the beginner stuff, but now accuracy is becoming really important. I had to have a shop replace the strings, lower the action (string height from the fret board), adjust the twist of the neck, and fix the intonation (precision tuning of the higher fret notes vs lower fret notes). I've added a new could-maybe-do for 2017 to get over 60 hours before the end of the year XD
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased ps4 on the thanksgiving sales. I went to the thursday night special, but not when the doors opened (madhouse). Originally thought I was being a little "aggressive" by going right away, but hell they only had 3 of the things left when I went, so if I'd waited I might've been sol. Praise the sun. Funny, I also appeared to acquire their very last copy of Horizon Zero Dawn. I also made an xbox purchase, grabbing Ghost Recon Wild lands for 20USD, which seemed like a very fair deal. I think it might be pretty good fun - though I'm not sure if any of my friends list will get it, I might have to solo this one.

(I really wanted to pick up AC Origins because it was a great deal for recent release... but I spent enough as it was. Maybe I can trick my brother into buying it and then I can just mooch it from him sometime. Need to trick him into buying a switch as well - that's gonna be a tough one...)
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying Fallout 4 is a horrible game. I've spent 146 hours (though at least 20 hours are from trying to figure out what the hell the point of basebuilding is) on it so it cant be. It's just an fps with a thin rpg layer. The dialogue is the laziest yet and you solve everything with your gun.
Bethesda deserves all the flack they get for the CC. All of it. I will never buy anything from it yet I'm forced to download everything in the shop to be able to play the game...
And the first quest of the game is still bugged classic Bethesda style.
At least it has shotguns that are even better than the one from the original Doom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Fallout 4 over the course of 1.5 years. I'd play it for an evening or two, then let it go. Then I'd come back for another evening or two... you get the idea. I liked it, but it didn't hold my attention like Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Or Wasteland 2, for that matter.

The gunplay was really disappointing to me. I find it hard to quantify, but it felt dissatisfying to shoot things compared to prior entries. The "world" also felt smaller, even if it probably wasn't. And the lack of critters roaming around between nav points was a bummer too. I loved running into so much random stuff while traveling in 3.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the base building either so far... not only is the interface to do so horrible, really it sucks to do that in 1st person, the game should zoom out and switch to an overhead view like in The Sims or Dungeon Keeper, ... it also is not made clear what kind of reward building bases will yield, other than getting support from the minutemen down the road and across the whole area... which is not needed since one is overpowered pretty much from the start with the free power armor.

Things I like about the game so far are all on the visual side (sadly) but the "wow, this looks great with those realistic feeling colors/lighting" effect also seems to wear off quickly. Don't know where the real fun in the game is yet, maybe it's just that I've played too many open world games already and that it doesn't feel fresh and exciting anymore in general.

So... yeah, not something I see myself playing for 8h straight... just an hour every now and then will be enough to satisfy any hunger for exploration.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one last purchase during the sales, it's a game on xbox called Portal Knights. As best as I have figured since I played the short demo a while back, it's a Minecraft knockoff except, it looks really good and also the combat is okay. (Never cared much for fighting enemies in minecraft itself, so "okay" is a step up for me.) We'll see just how long it keeps my interest - it won't be forever, but I think I'll really enjoy seeing the various settings in the game, and maybe building some houses somewhere. It'd probably be pretty fun coop, but I don't think this would've been a very easy sell for the fellas I play with.

Haven't done much more than take the ps4 out of the box, installed Horizon and watched part of the opening cutscene. I'll probably try to get into that soon. No surprise to me that the ps4 dashboard is much smoother than the xbox dashboard - I don't know if microsoft has ever made a UI that didn't involve a second or two of lag (intentional or otherwise) on more or less everything you might want to do. Also, much respect to sony for placing the disc on the right side of the packaging, rather than the left like some dumbass at ms decided to do. Rage.

I've also been playing Ark still, but I think I'm winding down. I built a reasonably majestic base on top of a waterfall, so there's all kinds of stilts holding it up, multiple greenhouses, pretty plants, and I have a very significant metal wall all across the river to keep the higher-level dinosaurs at bay. I have multiple tyrannosaures rexes outside of the wall, they'll eat anything that tries to start something, and hopefully I get to watch when it happens, and I also have a safe playpen area for some of my special animals: I've got a horse that looks like a zebra, and I've got a unicorn. Then there's a couple of sheep I occasionally give haircuts to, because you can make fur armor out of their wool. I was gonna let them have babies so I could have more sheep wool, but I decided I had a good enough supply already. Also I have an abominable snowman, you can ride on his shoulders while he walks around and kills some of the bad dinosaurs.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting started on Horizon. Enjoying it so far, though a couple of the side quests seems to drag a little longer than necessary (follow the fifth trail!). I'm choosing many of the stealthy kill abilities early on and trying to play sneaky, but have no objection to shooting a couple of these robot dogs in the face if they want me to.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little thing that really impresses me in Horizon is the "photo mode" option - the amount of options it offers you for editing the photo is absurd. At first I figured it'd just hide the UI elements so you could take a clean picture, but it has all sorts of options like greyscales, other color effects, borders, focus depth, it's clear they spent a little bit of time on it.

I made it just a bit further into the game, I killed my first truly "dangerous" enemy:

I just finished the "proving" test, where that jackass kept trying to knock me off the mountain, destroyed my trophy, etc. If I interpreted the scene correctly though, he just got mowed down in brutal fashion by some kind of chain gun, so may he burn in hell and all that. I was suitably pleased to get my own hands on that thing, even if for just a moment or two.

The stuff after that part got weird, she (Aloy) was having these visions where her "father" (not entirely clear on if he's her father or just father "figure") shapeshifted into some older woman, and stuff. I've been trying to decide what the father could have done to get himself outcast from the tribe for life. Like, maybe he slept with the leader's wife and so he and baby got shunned. That one seems unlikely. I've also thought maybe he isn't being shunned - it's just a cover, because they knew Aloy was powerful in some way and they wanted him to raise her in the wild for many years - so he'd be kind of like a double agent here, or something.

I'm also not too sure why this other tribe has attacked the village. Humans still fighting one another in this future world surprises me some, because I figured they'd need to team up to survive against the dangerous robots. Clearly not the case! Could be some kind of religious deal, where the other tribes think if they exterminate the "lesser tribes" then the machine gods will be pleased and spare them. Or maybe there's not enough food to go around lately, so they're just making a resource grab.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on the "Show Spoiler" hoping to see a picture of this truly dangerous enemy =[ hehe
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Bad phrasing.

I'm gonna take a minor gripe at the controls in this game. For the most part they're good, but some of the actions that require you to be near an enemy are finicky - I have really struggled to get "death from above" to work, often I end up just swinging my spear and alerting the enemies. It's doubly frustrating because I love to use death from above in games, looking at you splinter cell, need a new splinter cell @ubi please.

Also having a bit of a difficulty issue, where the machines really like to kill me. I did my first "cauldron" (a dungeon basically, I think) today, and the final guy gave me a lot of grief. Finally started using my tripcaster... I went through a fair amount of ammo for it, but I didn't see a lot of other options on the table. I think I might need to buy a slingshot for lobbing freeze bombs and things like that at enemies; so far I've only been using bow and tripcaster, along with the occasional attempt at using a trap.

I think I probably jumped the gun on buying a couple of the assassination type skills so early. It's just because they are so cool, but some of these enemies I'm fighting, I'd be better off having some of the damage bonuses in there instead. Too late now - I'll have to try to catch up on the damage skills later. Probably take care of a few side quests to pay for it all.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 73, 74, 75  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.