GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizon is generally good, but something about it fails to capture my attention in the long term.

I binged on it for a couple of days, then kinda went back to it every now and then for a few hours at a time.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reached character level 20 now, and I have a couple of purple-tier bows. I thought I'd try to fight a thunderjaw (?). After 2 tries, I concluded that surely I am simply not ready for this kind of a fight and I happily left him alone. I did just recently get the "ropecaster" which I wonder, maybe it'd be useful in fighting such a powerful enemy . Haven't tried it yet though.

Had a funny bug in a cutscene... this guy was going to kick a door open and walk through. But for whatever reason the door didn't open, like he kicked it and nothing happened... and then he walked right through, like Shadowcat or something.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ragequit Horizon for a while. The gameplay is owning me. I really regret unlocking the 'death from below' skill, because it's so utterly useless. Some guy was doing a patrol route to a ledge, then he'd turn around for 5 seconds, then he walks away. Kind of boring to hide in the weeds for 30 or 40 seconds waiting for him to get to the ledge and then turn around, but the payoff would be great, right? So he turns around and I hit jump button to jump up to the ledge, and main character just randomly jumps up and lands on the ground again, making a lot of noise... so the enemy up above is like "huh??? You down there!" So it was a complete and total disaster. Meanwhile, I could have just put an arrow in his face and moved on with it all - ergo, much regret over bothering with the death from below skill.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stealth skills seem fairly useless since, as you've observed, the stealth-play isn't as polished as one would find in, say, Assassin's Creed. I mostly stuck with the bow and picked people off one by one.

I haven't gotten the expansion, because it didn't really interest me. Seemed like more of the same.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a little bit of Shadow of Mordor (I think? ti's the older one), but I don't quite like it. The controls feel a little too stiff - this I could overlook, as the combat itself seems better (I generally enjoy the batman games, much the same) - but it's also too hard for me!

I also got the new Destiny dlc. It's a sham, but I got a couple friends that play it pretty much exclusively so I try to keep up.

I think soon I am going to begin trying Bloodborne. What else would I do after playing a couple games where I'm frustrated with dying a lot? :)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this game Unmechanical Extended Edition on my radar for a while now, waiting for another sale on it. Got it for 2.50USD on a xbox sale, and it's really quite a gem. Highly recommended.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brief 2 hours on Saturday where I had a chance to play the Monster Hunter World demo on PlayStation 4.

To get an idea how much I care, I upgraded my PS4 to a PS4 Pro for this game. Comes out late January.

The demo ends tomorrow at 12 noon EST, 9 AM PST. You get some loot in the full game for completing the 3 missions of the demo.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
...The gunplay was really disappointing to me. I find it hard to quantify, but it felt dissatisfying to shoot things compared to prior entries...

That's quite interesting because the gunplay is something they put work into for the entry. They even hired some dude from Bungie (I think, someone from some company that knows shooters) to do everything involving guns. Granted 90% of the guns in the game are bullocks, meet a deathclaw with any kind of pipe weapon and your more likely to survive by smothering it with a teddy bear, and the other 10% are OP as hell pretty much...
Sirocco wrote:
The "world" also felt smaller, even if it probably wasn't. And the lack of critters roaming around between nav points was a bummer too. I loved running into so much random stuff while traveling in 3.
The world is WAY smaller than the previous 3D titles. Bethesda says that there are more houses to enter but it does feel so mashed together. Nothing more immersion breaking than having humans and super mutants setting up communities in intersecting alleys without killing each other...

0xDB wrote:
I don't get the base building either so far... not only is the interface to do so horrible, really it sucks to do that in 1st person, the game should zoom out and switch to an overhead view like in The Sims or Dungeon Keeper, ... it also is not made clear what kind of reward building bases will yield, other than getting support from the minutemen down the road and across the whole area... which is not needed since one is overpowered pretty much from the start with the free power armor.
You get some caps and crops from the settlements. More if you connect trade routes. It shows up in the workbench from time to time. Completely useless as you can farm all the crops yourself whenever you want.
Also enemies does not care if you have walls surrounding your settlement. I constantly get deathclaws and bandits spawning within the walls of my settlement. Bethesda Softwork needs to go to a gamedesign class.

Havent finished the game yet. I dont like any of the factions at all. I want to terminate all of them.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
I dont like any of the factions at all. I want to terminate all of them.

is this an option??
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pretty good Multiplayer highlight tonight.

Managed to get the 3 monsters on the map in a 3 way battle. :D
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty awesome
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
BadMrBox wrote:
I dont like any of the factions at all. I want to terminate all of them.

is this an option??

All factions have some immortal story characters so a full termination is sadly not possible as far as I know.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal story character are stupid. what a bunch of bs. At least on PC you have hope of a mod or something.

I was craving another game so I picked up the cheap Just Cause 3 xbox, even though I've seen plenty of warning about lousy framerate and such. Haven't run into any problems with that yet, but I also haven't gotten very far. The writing is pretty depressing, because it's so bad. The controls haven't clicked with me, they feel too loose / clumsy whether it's the driving or the grappling hook. Hmmmm. I even destroyed a bridge and I didn't even feel too enthusiastic about it - I think that's a problem on my end. If blowing up bridges isn't perking me up...)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying out the For Honor open beta for their new dedicated servers. Always thought I'd like to try it, but ever since game came out it's had some pretty harsh reviews in terms if disconnects, network issues and such - no thanks, right? The bad news at the moment is I haven't had any luck joining a 4v4 match, don't know what the deal is there. But I did play a 1v1 match, and I WON. Tragically, I apparently missed an opportunity to perform an execution at the end of one of the rounds - I'm still unhappy about that. And I needed all 5 rounds, we went to the wire. Anyway, I think it's a nice enough looking game, but can't really judge without a chance to try team modes, which I generally much prefer over 1v1 when possible.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was craving another game so I picked up the cheap Just Cause 3 xbox

Just Cause 3 is pretty enjoyable, but yeah... there are definitely too many things going on to keep the controls sane. And now we've gotten to the part where you need to hold down d-pad buttons and hold L2 while clicking R3 and other such nonsense that it really gets in the way of enjoying modern games.

That's why I'm not looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but Rockstar has a terrible track record with their controls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2nd Monster Hunter World beta is coming December 22nd. *DOES NOT* require PS Plus, so pretty-much everybody with a PS4 can try it this time.

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/941699386836336641
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.