GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost 3 of my 50 foot tall rock monsters last night. What a shame. It all started when I saw an "alpha" tyrannosaurus hanging out on a beach on the way home. I thought maybe I'd oughta kill him, even though it was a level 74 alpha dinosaur. Sounded like a pretty big deal - I killed one before but was only a level 9 or something, so I figured 3 rock guys would be the right call. (I actually wanted to fight him with my squid in the water, think I'd have had the advantage, but I couldn't get him to swim after me - it was actually very frustrating, a lot of wasted time.) So, I'd like to say goodbye to atlas, to stonesmack, and most especiallly to mount.doom, who was my most powerful rock guy, a level 79 himself when I first met him, and we spent a lot of good time together smashing rocks to level him up to like 140 or so. I spent at least 20 minutes with him smashing rocks, that's true friendship. But he's gone now. I still have a couple at home, I didn't take everyone (probably a good thing too)... I still have rock.collector and red.@$@3ing.rock, who was the original rock. I will probably find a couple more to replace the losses.

Afterwards I took a poison dragon over there and cheesed him with poison ranged attacks from a cliff. He actually never even looked at me, was too busy trying to eat my big rock guy's dead body. Dumbass tyrannosaur thinks he can eat a rock. He never even looked at me the whole time, just kept "eating" until I hit him with enough poison blasts to kill him. A little bit anticlimactic to be sure, but he had it coming.
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
And here I thought it was going to be trying to do the input for Dark Metamorphosis that was going to cause the rage quit. :]

It's super effective though.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know three spells so far, all of which I triggered by accident fairly early in the game, Dark Metamorphosis is one of them... but yeah, whenever I tried to cast it on purpose it usually failed so I don't use it. For the path to the inverted castle and by that towards a better ending, I had to consult a guide, because I stopped trying to beat Richard(edit: ahem... I mean Richter) after only two failed attempts. :P

However, with Crissaegrim in my hands, exploration is fun again. :D

Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, did not find every single relic, probably missing some other things too, spells, familiars, items but I think I am done with the game for now. It was a good run and I'm glad I didn't quit. :D I'll read a guide for the stuff that I missed.
final status:

Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, definitely playing this game at some point... probably not until next year, but sooner than never. XD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great. :)

If you want more, every Castlevania game for GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS is done in the same style (Exp, Skills, Items). I think that's 5 more games.

The first GBA game isn't as well done, but still a respectable game (SOTN sets the bar way too high). The rest are about as good as you can expect on the system.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably play those other Castlevania games soon(ish). Random observation: Alucard's posture in idle stance and some moves somehow remind me of Michael Jackson.

Edited by 0xDB on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 am; edited 1 time
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

However, with Crissaegrim in my hands, exploration is fun again. :D

The only problem with that weapon is it essentially breaks the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's too good. My fav weapons are the ones that shoot swords (I forget the name), so dual wielding is extra great. Also I remember there was one with a stupidly large hitbox (I also forget the name).
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it made everything afterwards too easy (also saved some frustration though). On my next run (will play this again perhaps in a year or two) I shall choose not to use it.

Seems I'm Castlevania addicted now as it didn't take long to continue to Castlevania - Circle Of The Moon (or Castlevania - The Name Of The Rose... Baldwin really is a copy of Sean Connery from that movie).

In direct comparison to SOTN, COTM controls felt a little less smooth, a bit clunky even, gravity felt too strong and I had to adapt to new jump/attack timings to successfully hit the candles. New arch enemies are Medusa Heads and Heat Shades... they make vertically challenging areas(and there seem to be more of those than horizontal rooms) extra annoying. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this one is a bit rougher (I suspect not many team members came from the SOTN team). The later games are way more like the original.

I think it was a (near) launch title for the GameBoy Advance too, so dev time was short.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was. I remember getting that game at the same time i bought my GBA. I played it alot but never finished it. The artifically prolonging of the game made me give it up. Having to farm a handful of levels before being able to beat a boss is just plain boring.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress... wall jump is nice but also feels clunky like the other moves and attacks.

Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the new Mario recently. It is good and I enjoyed it, but it left me a little unfulfilled. It felt more linear than I expected,
not because it more or less forced you to play the stages in a certain order (occasionally you could randomly pick between 2,
but then you always had to do the other one right after)... although that is certainly a bummer, when compared to mario64
(and we all know I'm comparing this against mario64, one of the greatest games of eternity) where you could actually skip
entire levels if you wanted, and had the wonderful castle as a hub world. No hub world in Odyssey, just a menu with a list
of levels you pick from if you want to go back and forth. And this is surely at least as much of a reflection upon me, my
current tastes and outlooks on games in general etc., but when I defeated Bowser at the end, my emotions were closer
to "finally, grrrr, this has been frustrating" than "oh yes!!! mario!! i winn!!!!". But to be sure, it is creative, charming and
generally very well executed.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played about 2 hours of Dragon Ball FighterZ this past weekend (Open Beta). An hour at the start of the beta (finished the training), then an hour at the end of the beta.

My stream went down about halfway through, so all the footage I have is my first ranked fight.

Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very SF2-styled (with modern garnish) so that's pretty nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is. It's actually a team fighter (ala Marvel vs Capcom), but in the clip above we were down to our last fighters, and neither of us really understood the "rock paper scissors" of the game (i.e. ground fireballs can be avoided with pursuit, etc).

Word has it there may be another beta day/weekend (due to how poor the matchmaking was, regular disconnections), but the game is slated to be launched in less than 2 weeks, so heh.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.