GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Steampunk RPG Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Development Log - Steampunk RPG Reply with quote

hey guys. heres a little project ive been working on. it started as a random island generator that used 8x8 pixel tiles.

then i got the idea to create a random city generator

about a week ago i decided to bump up the resolution of the tiles from 8x8 to 24x24.. this sand is still a work in progress and i need to make the tree tiles have 4 trees in them instead of 9 to make them a bit larger and more detailed.

yesterday i created 6 player sprites... not sure if i'll actually make this a game, but its a great exercise in spriting and tiling a steampunk world

top: gypsy, mechanic, pilot
bottom: scientist, alchemist, apothecary

today i think im going to spend the entire day working on a map editor... and go see daybreakers >D

it feels good to be posting a project update again. i dont think ive publicly posted anything in like a year... but yea, c&c is welcome. thanks!

Edited by syn9ne on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 am; edited 2 times
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the art. Looks good. :D
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod note: Made this a development log.

This looks like it's going to have a huge world? The sprites also have a lot of detail for being chibi... I dig that :)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty cool! Why the push to move from 8x8 to 24x24? Just curious.

The world generator looks like it does a pretty good job. The city generator looks a little weird to me, but it could just be because there isn't much tile variation and everything is pretty grey looking.

I like the character sprites but the first thing I thought of was "those look like RM2K sprites", but it could just be the style? In any case, I think a screenshot in actual res does them better justice than zoomed up like that. ;)

So, if this does become a game: is the plan to make everything randomly generated? What are your ideas for how stuff would work?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years back, I was thinking about making a random "Dragon Warrior Like" game generator. Dragon Warrior, as it's one of the simpler sets of RPG mechanics, only 1 character to worry about and all that. Random world, maps, story, goal. I suppose it's the same idea as many of the fancy roguelikes out there (Madgarden's iPhone Fargoal for example).

Needless to say, nothing ever came of the idea.

The generations look really good. Very much looks like a world and town you'd see an artist make for a NES/SNES era RPG.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. im glad they look like rm2k sprites, i def take that as a compliment. they're actually based on the FF2 sprites for the psp. i have them zoomed in 3x because thats how i have them displayed in the engine. i actually moved up to 24x24 so that i could have decent looking characters. i didnt like the restriction of 8x8 people. and when i bumped them up to 12x16 they still just didnt have the detail i wanted to put in. as of right now, i havent decided on if it'll be a random game generator, or even a game for that matter, i just enjoy making the sprites and walking around in the world, heh... i may try recruiting some developers if i decide to turn it into a complete game. here in a few weeks i'll be dedicating all my free time to making my racing game Zero GTR, so if i keep this project going, i'll need a lot of help. heh.

@sonrisu: yea, the city doesnt look nearly as good as the original photoshop mockup:

mostly because i didnt spend the time to put in the details like railings, height differentiation, etc... when i boost the rest up to 24x24 tiles i plan on making it look a lot nicer. i was thinking of using the generators just to make the initial layout of the world and cities. then using my own map editor to clean them up and give them a lot more detail and personality.

thanks for the feedback!

Edited by syn9ne on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the odd decision to make all the tiles in Fenix Blade 20x20, and the sprites were 32x32. 20x20 seems weird, but it made the math simple when you had a 320x200 screen. I switched to 16x16 for Inimicus since I have a 320x240 surface.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i think i used 20x20 on 320x200 also, just made it a lot easier
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember doing 20x20 when I was making Adventure in Rulon in QB45 back in the day. Worked great for screen 13... and not much else. When I moved to FreeBASIC, I must have gone through six different sizes from 16x16 to 50x50, trying to figure out what was best before I finally settled on 32x32.

The screenshots look great, syn9. The characters have a definite retro-cool look to them, and the terrain is pleasing to the eye as well. If you do go full tilt and make this an actual game, I'll be first in line. :)

-Tofu
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small update: i brought someone on to the project that loves to do victorian era LARPing to do the character design and story. here are a couple characters i pixelled based off of her ideas:

the lady is mostly done, the beast still needs something more, maybe armour

n29
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, steam punk rulez.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks XD. updated beast:

also, why is it that i cannot see the images with the img tag? instead i have to click on them to see them. though in other posts you're able to see the images...

Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing

Hmmm.... try going to your profile and checking the "Display Images/Video in Posts" setting.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, i can see your images, but mine show up as links... i have bbcode, html, and display images enabled... do you have t o have a certain number of posts before your images show up, as a spam prevention measure?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be the case... I can't remember. I'll ask Bean about it.

Edit: Yeah, that's what's happening. "Newbie" accounts can't post images directly (we had a spam problem at one time), so after a few posts you get bumped to being a "contributor" and everything starts working. I want to say the bump was after ten posts, but I'm probably wrong. We'll get that fixed for you.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats cool, i figured it was something like that

new beach tiles:

Edited by syn9ne on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after a few more posts, this thread should suddenly become more colorful and awesome. :D
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, after a few more posts, this thread should suddenly become more colorful and awesome. :D

OMG, it's like you're omniscient or something!
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on wow, it's alive! hehehehe, neat. thanks bean and sirocco! XD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, glorious imagery!
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, here's a small update to this project. still working on the beach-water transitions. i made the water get darker the further away from land it is.

also finished mapping out the first island:

and lastly, started working on bumping up the city tile resolution. here's a work in progress for the remodeling of this building:

Edited by syn9ne on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time
PoV

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very slick.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. I also really like the color choices for the world map. It looks nicely subdued, giving it a little Victorian edge instead of being 100% saccharine.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been working with my editor a lot lately, I like that UI in whatever editor that is (is it even your own)? I feel like I need to overhaul mine, now.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. yea, it is my own editor. it's designed to be as simple as possible, and pretty easy to add new features. it's definitely not very advanced yet. i'm just adding new features as i need them. but it can save/load/pan/zoom/lay tiles/undo/redo/clip. so, it works for now XD

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.