GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - RogueOpcode Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to stay very true to the original SDL interface for SFXR, just less crappy. Mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned, so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread title updated per request.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually played around with SFXR for the first time (I think?). That thing is really awesome!
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started work on a basic open gl renderer. Looks promising so far.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necromancy powerrrrssss... ACTIVATE!

Few updates for those who care:
  • I drifted out of gamedev for about a year, due to finishing school and getting a job os a mobile app developer.
  • Then, I worked for the past year at a big name game studio. More recently, I've been finding my enthusiasm and love for the art waxing, and started looking at my old code and projects. Now, I am reviving my beloved Rogue Opcode and working on it (and the resultant games) fulltime!
  • I am porting all the existing code to GL/C++, so that I can run mostly the same codebase on Android, iOS, all the typical PC platforms, and perhaps even a console or two.
  • I was advised to fail early and fail often, so as a starting point, I am rebooting Null Sector from scratch. I've got other ideas that I think could be fantastic, but they'll take more thought and work to get going, and I want to do something I can get running in a few days or a week, and then just iterate and polish the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was advised to fail early and fail often

YMMV on this vote depending on whether you take into consideration my ~one game per decade release rate, but I've recently learned to love this train of thought.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, iOS hates me. That is all.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm making iOS my bitch again. Thank FSM I had the foresight to put this thing in a git repo. Ramen.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUZZAH!
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting work on a new little scripting language, called Scripty! :)

Heavily inspired by my favorite parts of python, lua, and objective-c. This is meant to be a highly customized interpreter I can embed in my game projects, so I'm going to be adding features that make common game management tasks dead simple, as they come up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good scripting language is always a pleasant exercise. Do you remember the QBasic days when people were complaining that their scripts were executing slowly? That always struck me as odd in the extreme. I couldn't imagine a string parser being slow.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! And Go! Did I mention Go?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much delay, I've finally using Squirrel. I've been threatening to use it for years now.

If you're planning to build your own scripting language, I highly recommend using an existing VM, such as Lua's. Loom does this (uses Lua's), and it's probably the best idea I've heard in years.

That said, it's common for new indies to get lost building tech (I get lost doing it and I'm not new). I'd suggest seriously considering something that's already out there, Unity especially. It's enough work making a game that having to build the underlying engine too is an easy mistake.

Whatever money you've banked should give you a good idea how much time you have left to be unprofitable. I highly recommend that your first project should not take more than a quarter of that. Being able to test and sell stuff may cost money too.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... parrot is only 50k or so, compiled...

PS, DEATH TO SEMICOLONS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That said, it's common for new indies to get lost building tech (I get lost doing it and I'm not new). I'd suggest seriously considering something that's already out there, Unity especially. It's enough work making a game that having to build the underlying engine too is an easy mistake.

Oh yes, this echoes my feelings quite a bit.

Ironically, as a creator, you stay profitable by making sure you create as little as possible.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't already have 85% of a crossplatform framework already in place, I'd probably be looking at Loom or Unity with a lot more interest. As it stands, the amount of work I'd put in learning and building a codebase around a new technology would be at least as much as finishing what I got. The advantage here is that I'll end up understanding every piece of code I ship, more or less.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The advantage here is that I'll end up understanding every piece of code I ship, more or less.

Yup. PoV and I are both big fans of "owning the stack." But some times the rabbit hole is too deep. My insanity only goes so far... I stopped short of writing a JPG *coder pair. Thank goodness.

Quote:

If I didn't already have 85% of a crossplatform framework already in place, I'd probably be looking at Loom or Unity with a lot more interest.

I have this problem... although I'm not sure if I want to call it a problem or not :) I'm invested at this point, and want my work to pay off (in terms of hours saved, rather than $$$).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, while I still want to understand JPEG and MPEG better, I have no plans to dig any deeper when it comes to data compression (zlib). I'm totally fine calling zlib and lzma. I know everything I need to know about PNG files (I even have a better one). Lossless image compression and combining lossy hardware compression formats with data compression is solved to me (pvr3+lzma is good enough). I'm undecided when it comes to Lossy images (WebP seems nice). I'm not yet convinced I need it though.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have no problem leaning on other/smarter/more-free-time-having engineers, when it makes sense. Zlib, libvorbis, whathaveyou... I have absolutely no interest in writing a jpeg codec. *shudders*

But, I am going to need a solution for loading compressed textures, compressing loaded textures, and texturing compressed loads. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend PowerVR's PVR file format for all your advanced image needs.

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/sdkdownloads/index.asp
http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/powervr-sdk-docs.asp

Their SDK includes a command line tool for converting many image formats to .PVR files, and the file format is well documented. Note that .PVR is not the same thing as PVRTC (the texture compression for PVR GPU's). PVR supports practically every texture compression variant out there.

Or just use PNG and STB_Image: http://nothings.org/stb_image.c

I've been finding I like PNG as a work format, since I can load it directly in my image editing tools.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've been finding I like PNG as a work format, since I can load it directly in my image editing tools.

PNG is definitely growing on me now that I have tools and stuff that natively function in 32bpp. And now that I'm extracting my cranium from my anal cleft and working with alpha channels... even better. Then, like you said, you can transform it into whatever format(s) your target wants.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, I didn't finish my thought process this morning.

Basically my solution to image compression borrows from Linux .tar.gz files, except I'm not using tar. Tar is just an archiver, collecting one or more files together uncompressed. The gz part is GZip, a standard Unix/Linux archiver. Of late, BZip2 has grown in popularity on Linux, but even better than both is LZMA. AKA, the 7zip compression algorithm:

http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

So that's my solution, to take a raw PVR file, and compress the whole file with LZMA. Fast, the best ratios, and free.

For that matter, you can compress any file. A ".map.gz" file can be another way of thinking about your .map files. Any file you use can be compressed like this. It's nice.

So my own library is designed for stuff like this. Call a function to read an entire file from disk in to memory. Call another function to decompress to another block of memory. Throw away the original (compressed). Nice and neat.

That said, as fun as tech is, without a game you just have tech. Never do something that will slow you down. I make an effort now to load the source PNG assets in my game during development, but have an option to take the processed files too (or in the place of the originals if the originals are not found).

I cannot stress this enough. I've wasted so much time on tech that never got used. Focus more on the game.

If you are going to do tech, try to make sure that it improves workflow. Like actually, makes you faster. Having code or assets instantly reload; Eliminating startup time; Whatever.
Ren
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
I cannot stress this enough. I've wasted so much time on tech that never got used. Focus more on the game.

"Hmm, what shall I do today? I'll make a tile engine! This will be the ultimate tile engine, the final one I ever need to make! And then I can finally make my game!"

A few months go by, and i've forgotten how it works and have to make a new one :). Or even worse, and pretty common as of late, I finish whatever it is I was doing and don't have any ideas for a game to make with it.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I am making sure I have a specific usecase for all the new tech and systems I want to make. Was almost ready to ditch the custom scripting language when I realized the featureset I had in mind fulfilled 7 or 8 items in my "how the hell am I going to implement this?" checklist.

I think this approach will work for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend giving yourself a deadline then. If it's not up and going by say, a month from now, then plan B.

I'm repeating myself, but I've wanted so much time with tech. Focusing on getting things on screen ASAP is so much better (and so much more rewarding in the short term).
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - RogueOpcode Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.