GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Sidescroller Mini RPG Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Sidescroller Mini RPG Reply with quote

i've been meaning to post screenshots of this up here. it was supposed to be done last weekend, but ive been really lazy this week, heh. hopefully it'll be done within the next week. gameplay will be akin to Legend of the Red Dragon, from the good 'ol BBS Doors days XD, except in action rpg form. basically you get a certain number of turns per day and can do stuff like fight in the randomly generated forest, fight for money in the arena, possibly some kind of quest system, etc.

Edited by syn9ne on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 am; edited 1 time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Looks cool, but what happens after your daily allotment runs out? You can't play anymore? :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is done in a strict BBS style, then yeah... [x] moves per day, and that's it.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking along the lines of x new moves per hour. basically a daily rate. it'll take some testing to figure out what a good rate would be, and it would only really be worth it if the game connected to a server and provided some kind of interaction and competition between the other players.
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm diggin the art style and 3d backgrounds.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool. As someone who has never played Legend of the Red Dragon, I can't imagine how this plays. From the screens, I'd assume it runs in realtime and you say it's going to be an action RPG and then you also say there'll be a turn limit per day.

I don't understand. Is a turn simply a fixed number of minutes in realtime or is it a turn-based game? Is a turn sth. like: move(N,S,E,W), grab(Axe), fight(giant dwarf)?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be done using a day/night cycle and limiting the player to [x] number of days. There was an old BBS MUD called Empire that allowed the player to have a set of turns each day. A turn consisted of multiple stages, where a player would acquire new assets, perform resource management, trade with other users, manage a remote colony, and finally war with other users. With that setup, five rounds lasted quite a while unless you were at the very start of the game and didn't have much to manage.

Alpha Colony VI was similar to that as well.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in LORD you went to the forest and you would randomly find something to fight. every day you had a certain number of forest fights that you could use. this limited the gameplay to less than an hour per day.

what i'm going to try out is, you have like an endurance bar, and each time you engage in combat and land a strike, part of your endurance bar goes down. the bar is replenished in a way that allows you to be completely restored in about 12 hours.

also, if it has been a new day between log ins, the forest will 'grow over' and a new randomly generated forest level will be created. the way it is right now, there are roughly 32 rooms in the forest.

a lot of bbs games were designed to be played over long period of time. this allowed people to play against each other even though they logged in at different times of the day. in a way, the game rewards those who stick with it. the problem is, making a game that is entertaining enough to get people to do that. LORD was good at that, so was this game called Falcon's Eye, and the php game Archmage.

The-Reincarnation, which is an Archmage offshoot says, "A game that requires 15 minutes day to play... but is so addictive you'll want to play all day! " Archmage regenerates a turn at something like 15 minute intervals. though some actions in the game take multiple turns to complete.

@dennis: if you'd like to see a pretty good LORD clone, redone in html, check out Legend of Neo Dragon over at NeoBASIC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, something like this would totally rock as an iPhone game. I've suggested to Seth a few times that he should try and get his LoRD rights back. Something like that but modernized would totally rock the social games scene, competing against your Facebook friends or whatnot. Us BBS gaming old-timers would make it our mission that it spread, if it had the original name and all. MyBrute and Farmville aren't hardcore enough. ;)
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah, yea, i dont play any facebook games, but if there was a LoRD, i'd totally play it XD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your style and approach to gaming in general is so damn unique. Every time I watch this I'm reminded of your visuals:

The chunky pixels really do it for me :)
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, thats awesome! XD thanks for the link

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm totally reminded of PlayStation era hybrid 2D with 3D background games. I'm caught up in the whole highres and HD art trend myself, but it's always cool to see a different take.
Ren
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are you using for 3D nowadays? OpenGL, or is this a roll-your-own 3D engine?

Love the art style. For some reason, this reminds me of symphony of the night, it's that murky 2d/d hybrid look, as PoV says. Good stuff.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. i'm using opengl now. it took me a long time to stop writing my own software 3d engines, but in the end, it's for the best. wasnt able to make as much progress as i would have liked last week. turned out to be a pretty busy week.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, 3 years later i've decided to take another whack at this game. same idea, trying to make a simple mini game over a few weeks. the premise is the same, but the engine is very different. same idea of randomly generated combat maps next to a town and some form of persistent world across everyone playing using a central server.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Castlevania 2'isms, and it makes me happy.
Hard Rock
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow I must have missed this thread. The first few screenshots look awesome!

I'd probably play this, I spent more then a few hours on Neo Dragon. Never played the original though.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sad that Colosseum level won't be viable. It looked super sweet. I'm pretty excited to see where you go with this new iteration, though!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea. we'll have to see how far i get involved with it. i'd be nice to get the initial frame of the game working and bring on a 2nd developer for maintenance and feature updates. if i can, then i'll consider doing the Colosseum.

i'm glad you guys like it so far. it's definitely inspired by LORD, Castlevania 2 and Card Metroidvania from 300 mechanics: http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=124
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've spent the majority of this evening adding menus using CoherentUI. these use css3/javascript rendered to an opengl texture. i also added some quick vine work. the menu text is messed up due to scaling the image down from 3x to 2x for showing on the forum.

Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syn9ne wrote:
i've spent the majority of this evening adding menus using CoherentUI. these use css3/javascript rendered to an opengl texture. i also added some quick vine work. the menu text is messed up due to scaling the image down from 3x to 2x for showing on the forum.

Thats a bit mind blowing - I looked up the library and it seems to have an entire browser renderer in it! Whats the effect on performance, executable size etc?

Would be pretty great for certain UI display tasks, saves a lot of time.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure of the impact on exe size, it has a 'host' directory that acts as a local webserver to the application. i believe the host's exe (30mb) does all the rendering and gives it back to the game via shared memory space.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea :). A bit overkill for anything i'd use it for, but still pretty nice.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updates:
- the weapon, armour, item shops are fully functioning.
- repair weapons/armour if damaged.
- mine gems on the combat map.
- pick locked doors on combat map.
- buy/sell gems at the gem market in exchange for gold coins. - market price of gems fluctuates each day.

26 to-do tickets left until beta release.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.