Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> installer packages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: installer packages Reply with quote

hey everyone, what do you guys do to make installer packages? is there a free one that you would recommend? for those that use msvc, how do you handle checking if the user has the required dlls and if they need to have the runtime library installed?

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found Windows package programs to be overwrought and a pain in the ass to get working. The last one I found to be simple and effective was Spoon Installer. It isn't flashy, but at least I can grok it.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using MSVC, just use the built in one. That handles the dll thing for you. Drag and drop too.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks POV. we got our linux version running now. do you have a recommendation for how to put together a professional download package for linux users?

i dont really know what they expect to see in a professional quality game download.

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this little article up some time ago.

http://www.toonormal.com/2010/05/22/creating-linux-installers-deb-and-rpm/

Regrettably though, I've had innumerable problems with checkinstall recently, so you'll just want to use that for the "where to put stuff" reference.

I was writing up a revised packaging article, but I can't seem to find it.

In summary, if you want to save yourself many packaging headaches, just use a tar.gz (tar.bz2) archive.

Build your binary using an older Linux distro, such as an Ubuntu 9 or 10. It *should* be forward compatible, but you'll want to double check. The specific libraries you link against can cause issues between different Linux distros. Most people do realize though that Ubuntu tends to be the only one that gets commercial games.

If you want to do proper installers (RPM, DEB), your best off actually feeding the respected packaging tools a tar file, instead of a source directory. Linux permissions are one of the most annoying things in the world to deal with.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> installer packages

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.