GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Zero GTR Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Zero GTR Reply with quote

so, ive been working on this racing game, Zero GTR, off and on for 4 years now... i think i've rewritten the engine from scratch 7 times or so. heh. mostly testing out different physics and collision systems. a few months ago i decided to make a drastic change to the gameplay and add in FPS elements... first person shooter in a racing game? wha?? hehe...

basically, here is ideally how it would work. ever get to play with those little scooters in gym class that are a square base that you sit on, and 4 wheels at the bottom? imagine you and a handful of friends are all sitting on those on the outer side of the center ring in a basketball court... then someone throws a bouncy kick ball into the center and you guys wheel around trying to grab it.... once you do, you head to the outer edge of the court where there are a series of rings in which you have to drive the scooter through. you get a point for making it through the ring, but your team gets a point only if you make it through all the rings. at any point someone else can wrestle the ball away from you and start making laps too. once the ball makes it through all the rings, or a certain time limit is reached, the ball goes away and everyone heads back to the center before it gets thrown back in. i really wish i thought of this while i was in elementary school, cause it sounds like it would have been crazy fun.

now, imagine this same gameplay concept, but the game starting out inside a sort of spherical room, called the chamber, where a blue plasma like game ball is fired into, bouncing and rolling all around the room. and instead of being on a scooter, you're inside of what seems like a hover-tank that can drive on the walls and the ceiling. at this time, the gameplay works more like what you would see in quake. run, grab armour, pickup upgrades, try to blast other players, and try to pickup the ball.

once you get the ball you run to one of multiple exits to the room that all combine to form a single hallway that is where the racing begins. in here your tank folds into a racer and the gameplay is more akin to wipeout or f-zero. but like the chamber, you can drive on the walls and the track doesnt stay horizontal, it shifts between spirals, hair pin turns, vertical straight aways, and can fork.

at any point in time you can switch between tank mode and racer mode. tank mode is faaaar slower, but gives you the ability to use your more powerful weapons and takes much less damage. whenever you want to go back to the inner chamber you can teleport and spawn back inside it.

http://www.zerogtr.com/download/junk/2010_06_14.zip

here is a small demo of the fps aspect of the game. just one player that can run on the walls and ceiling. nothing fancy yet, just a proof of concept of the physics and collision detection. you can walk on any grey surface, and should not be able to walk on or penetrate red ones. it still has some collision bugs that im trying to work out, so if you run into any, please let me know where/how they happened. thanks!
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds ambitious, but judging from previous work, you're up for it. The display was all effed up for me, severe z-fighting/z-buffer issues BUT I haven't updated the video driver on this machine ever so don't take it seriously unless someone else reports problems....

I played a game one time that you description reminded me of: it was a cross between bumper cars, basketball, and some "game with plastic balls and plastic scoops I can't remember the name of". It's calle WhirleyBall:

http://www.whirlyball.com/home/index.php

It's surprisingly really fun.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I was actually planning a game sorta like this. Like Quake3 but you could walk all over stuff. Never got around to it though. I figured people would get too disoriented. Who knows maybe it could work?

-Bean
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bean: maybe, a friend of mine says it plays very similar to playing the alien in alien vs predator, as well as a game called shattered horizon, a FPS set in zero gravity

@n29: thanks for the vote of confidence. i surely hope so. i'll have to check out that game. is it possible that you could send me some screenshots of the zbuffer problems? as well as what video card/os and fps you're getting? i'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the movement + collision goes, that worked just fine. I had severe clipping problems on my laptop (Nvidia Quadro FX 1600). It had a difficult time tracking visible surfaces, and would often lose the red columns when I got to the edges of the arena... assuming where you start in the demo is the "floor".

Otherwise, it looks promising.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried this out and there's definitely some zbuffer issues. Something's not writing to it or reading from it I'm not sure.
Moving with WASD had me going in unexpected directions then outside of the map never to return.

Other then that though it seems pretty funky.
Add the option to invert my mouse and I'll be a happy camper :)

-Bean
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops, i forgot to add that the controls are mouse + arrow keys, SDFWER are used for debug controls.

bean & sirocco: is there any way you guys could save a screen cap so i can see what it is doing please?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll get you a shot tomorrow morning before I head out to work. At home, on my desktop (HD 3850) it looks exactly like it should, but like Bean I ran into a spot on the map where I crossed over a barrier and got locked inside one of the red columns. Whoops!
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got to use some of the experience i gained from this game texturing book i've been using. i've textured most of the chamber and will be going through in photoshop to create a mockup of how i want the final scene to feel like

i think i'm going to watch some Alien for inspiration =D
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first attempt at a mockup

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screencap from laptop

You can see the red column being clipped in the middle.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sweet sirocco! thats exactly what marcade is getting. thanks!

update: final mockup

time to make the in game test chamber look like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

oh sweet sirocco! thats exactly what marcade is getting. thanks!

Jeez... there's a name I haven't heard in many years...
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, i reset my depth range to what i normally use in all my demos and previous tests. hopefully this fixes that weird depth problem you guys were having. would you mind running it and seeing if it works? thanks!

http://www.zerogtr.com/download/junk/2010_07_01.zip
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still looks screwey for me:

Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get no clipping, but I get a weird visual bug which looks like a vsync issue. It is not a vsync issue, because the line isn't straight, but it only appears when moving the camera around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry; I was too busy making my own game not totally suck to get around to testing this! It now runs just fine on my desktop without any clipping issues.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrain WIP

road segment
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a simple terrain drawing demo.

would you guys mind running it and seeing if you get the same or new visual artifacts as you did with the previous demo?

one thing someone has already noted is that if the texture size is > than what is supported the ground will show up as white. if this happens, open ground.tga and reduce the size by half until it works. i'm working on a scaling routine to do this automatically.

controls = w/e/d/r + mouselook

http://www.zerogtr.com/download/junk/2010_10_24.zip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great on my desktop. Nice n' smooth, no artifacts or glitches.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sirocco

here are some updated screens with half of the track in

Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that looks brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to shrink the image, but it ran decent for me -- considering I was in a VM. Got 10FPS ;].

In any case, no weird drawing issues.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reports. the friend of mine that also had to shrink the texture was using a vm too.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaghetti track XD

4 teleporting tunnels

12 track forks

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.