GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Rijn the Specpyre in..Manor of the Damned! Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I grab the demo? Link takes me to a "domain expired" page
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the domain got squatted when it expired. I updated the links.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, today was the first real day i've done anything on the game since submitting to IGF. I designed a couple new monsters and spent a good 4 hours map editing. i'm still trying really hard to push for a release by oct 31st. it's been quite a struggle trying to work on the game with school, girlfriend, and 2 jobs. heh.

also, i posted a bunch of resources on my website that people in my coding group and i use for game development.

http://www.thehideoutgames.com/resources/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bit in that last post. There's a ton of resources out there to make your life easier, but it's so easy to miss the good ones unless people point them out.

I'm still trying to work in some proper time to play your project and Sonrisu's. I'm just being a lazy bastard, I think.
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the demo: loved it. Reminded me of castlevania in some senses, with the mood and feel, and the way the action was nonstop, but like other games in other ways. Great fun.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot! i really appreciate that. it's definitely been called Linkselvania a few times :D

im glad you liked it!
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm it doesnt let me download the demo :\
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. alex, you might try again. i just verified both links work.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.. i was trying to download it from off your post on your website.. I didnt see the links in this thread.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, that's right. it linked to the old server. thanks for bringing that to my attention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all the links on your thingie site are b0rked :(
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, played the demo. took me roughly 40 mins. I liked it, and thought it had a decent pace. the boss was fairly easy though.
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad you liked it. 40 minutes? that's great! that's pretty much on target for what i'm going for. most people take 45-60 minutes.

the final stretch has begun. i'm going to try to have a full official version finished in the next 48 hours. so far today i've just finished spriting the last two regular enemies and i still have the last 2 bosses to finish animating. i also need to finish the puzzles in the final area and figure out how to animate the opening and ending. then all that's left is testing!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my programming looks over for the night. i just realized that everything i put in the last post still needs to be done... and i've probably put 20 hours into the game in the last 2 days, heh... i've made incredible progress and killed tons of bugs with the help of badmrbox. but damn, it feels like i still have another 20 hours of work ahead of me to get it done right...
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some pretty good news today, Rijn will be distributed on Desura for windows and linux. Eventually, the mac version will as well. The Desura page isn't accessible yet because we don't have a release uploaded, however, the game info can be found on indieDB:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/manor-of-the-damned

Also, today I added to the indieDB page a bunch of new screenshots of zones that are past the end of the demo. I think the atmosphere has improved a lot in these images due to adding the torch lighting effects.

here is one of the newer rooms:
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/16/15913/10.png
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I've uploaded a linux version of the demo to indiedb

http://www.indiedb.com/games/manor-of-the-damned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to jump through any hoops to get the Linux version working well, or was it pretty straightforward?
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wasn't too bad. the hard part was the make file. other than that, we just had to change two lines of code. it did expose a memory leak that i had to fix also.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made some great progress in the last 24 hours. the 3rd boss is finished, all game mechanics are finished, the game is puzzle complete, and with the exception of the final room, the game is map complete.

all that is left is a few art resources, some dialog, and the final boss fight sequence.

woot! it feels soooo damn good to be almost done!

some new screens:

Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookin good man!
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the demo earlier and thought it was great. Can't wait to try the full game!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's been about 4 months since my last post... i probably touched the game twice over those 4 months. having to animate the end of the game really made me unmotivated to finish.

i moved from the USA to the netherlands a few weeks ago. having 2 jobs, plus doing website contracting and preparing to move really dropped my game dev time to zero. now that i'm in the flow of my routine, ive been able to carve out some sizable time chunks lately.

i've spent 3 of the last 4 days working on the game and just about have it finished up. rijn is in final beta testing now with a few pieces of artwork and bugs to clean up before it can finally be released.

tonight deleter finished up all but a couple dialog boxes and i created an entire new opening zone to get the player introduced to the game mechanics and story.

right now the initial release - hopefully next week - will be windows and linux only. once those get out the door, i'll figure out why the sound isnt working on mac and then the mac release will be ready.

next week is spring break... most of my friends are taking trips around europe. i'll probably travel a bit over the weekend, but spend the rest of the week making sure the initial rijn release goes out smoothly.

it'll be really nice to have this wrapped up so i can take a break and work on my codebase and start playing with my other projects, the steampunk rpg, zero gtr, and the sidescroller.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent out the windows release candidate to the beta testers... damn it feels good... linux and mac versions will be sent out later today after i take a much needed break :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welp, i got a lot of feedback and all bugs found have been fixed save one. the linux version is now running perfectly as far as i can tell. one of the testers thinks there might be a memory leak in the sound routines and is working on verifying/isolating it.

so yea, all is going well. the win/linux testers are getting the 2nd RC update today and if all goes well, the game will be out the door by the weekend :D

i really hope you guys enjoy it. it's been bout 6 years since i released The Griffon Legend. i'm past due for putting out another rpg :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

i really hope you guys enjoy it. it's been bout 6 years since i released The Griffon Legend. i'm past due for putting out another rpg :)

Indeed. Good action RPGs are a rarity in the indie space. The key word there being good. If it's unique as well (such as this), that's just icing on the cake.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.