GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Reply with quote

This is my development log for my MyRPG game (currently going by the name of Bunker Mentality - Vanilla Branch), that owes a lot to Laser Squad/RebelStar, and dungeon hack n slash Rogue like games, with a dash of dungeon keeper, set in a post apocalyptic underground fallout world...

This is an very old version of the game....
http://www.onemananimation.com/myrpg/index.html

Edited by yodhe on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 am; edited 1 time
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played a rogue-like in ages, I figure. I don't really consider Persona 4 one outside of the randomly generated dungeons. Speaking of... are your levels fixed, or randomly generated?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the levels are procedurally generated, using one of three methods (there are only ten levels in the game, but all are active-live, not just the level you are on.) Two cave/cavern generators and a classic labyrinth level are used, with rooms splattered over the top.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy randomly generated content more than anything else these days in games with open ended gameplay and without a fixed storyline. I'm glad I'm not currently addicted to any of these games. :D (though the call of the Dwarf Fortress is growing nearer and louder day by day)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing bits and pieces, like making the map levels size customisable.
Also been starting to rework the procedural generation of the map. Rather than creating each level individually and sandwiching them together, I am going to hopefully create them more like the real world, with various stratas of types of rock, and veins of ore to mine, with underground rivers, and lava.
I am also considering whether to introduce a z depth into the game, so that you can see the environment below and above, and not just the level/plane/slice you are on. But that might just unnecessarily complicate things, and I probably should just concentrate on developing the game as it is, and leave it for another version.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played Minecraft and Dwarven Fortress?

Your ideas were perfected already by those games. Great sources of inspiration if you decide to go down that road.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of both games, and even seen some videos of them, as they are all the rage on the Allegro.cc and Roguelike forums.
However I deliberately decided not to play them, but rather take the elements I like as I imagine them to be, and implement them into my game, rather than how they are.
The main thing I am concentrating on is making the game fun for me, and my main inspirations are LaserSquad/Rebelstar for the squad/grpup tactical element. Civilisation/Sid Meier ganes for the turn based empire, research and management, evolution. With exploration, depth of gameplay and RPGing from Rogue-like games. With a flavour of Dungeon Keeper for building ones own lair. I definately like the sandbox feel, of not having a game to complete, but rather a scenario to explore, and situations to respond to.

Also the "fantasy" theme is just a placeholder, that I will be removing in the next little while (but I wanted the core game mechanics coded first), as it will be a "post-eschational" game. Most likely set in a mythical soviet era city, that has been nuked, or had a similar disaster, and you take the role of one of the bands of survivors vying for limited resources under the ruined city. But i've said too much now, and I don't want to jinx myself, but doing too much jabbering.

I guess I just intend to steal/borrow/plagarise everything that inspires me, and make a game I want to play (again and again).

The two names I am thinking of going with are
"After the Event." or "Bunker Mentality"
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodhe wrote:
However I deliberately decided not to play them, but rather take the elements I like as I imagine them to be, and implement them into my game, rather than how they are.

Yeah, I struggle with that from time to time. My ideas are much more derivative if I have come into contact with similar ideas from other people. On one hand, I chase that big idea, on the other hand, I don't want to reinvent hot water.

yodhe wrote:
I guess I just intend to steal/borrow/plagarise everything that inspires me, and make a game I want to play (again and again).

Amen. I'm totally going to quote that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's sort of what everyone does, consciously or not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been implementing more variables for the units, giving them simple skills to use, age modifiers, and a basic personality structure.
Also have put in simple mining of three types of minerals/ore, which will be used in the workshop/forges/laboratories to manufacture various goods.
Not to mention the usual bugfixes and squashes as they pop up.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some good feedback which I have been digesting and working on

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/605932

Currently I am updating/refactoring the mouse/input routines to speed them up as the feedback pointed out. I have also decided to aim to get the game running at a resonable speed with a base spec of a 2ghz single core, machine.

Also struggling with some design issues.
Should the game be more a squad based game like laser squad, or a dungeon management game like dungeon keeper.

Things to thunk.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Should the game be more a squad based game like laser squad, or a dungeon management game like dungeon keeper.

That's one heck of a design issue! Sounds more like a "how do I want my game to turn out?" issue :)

Maybe you could find a way to do... both?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "design issue" I am having concerns "time passing" or turns...

As a unit based game, each turn would be something like an arbitary 10 seconds, but other processes as a dungeon management game would occurs over hours, more like days, such as digging out passages etc.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the best part of two months, not doing a single line of code, but making the game actually playable/enjoyable, with structure, balance, goals etc.
Think I am nearly ready to go back to the coding, and begin implementing the "thunks" i've had.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending a lot of time overhauling the game genre, moving it from a fantasy to post apocalyptic setting, coming up with building generating algorithms, and implementing radiation/fallout, and its effects.
Also making the emphasis on a small group of units/individuals the player controls rather than a central character, though still toying with the idea of a "king piece" (like in chess).

Watched, "Letter from a Dead Man" a few weeks back, and it made a big influence on the feel of the post apocalyptic world, especially more of a Soviet one than the pseudo 50's American Fallout genre. Though being a big fan of the nuclear disaster/end of the world kitsch I am sure to borrow from all the films and books I have read over the years.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little "Roadside Picnic" influence certainly wouldn't bother me. I guess I should Netflix "Letter From a Dead Man."
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a little Stalker wouldn't go amiss, and could be a useful way of having a type of "magic" ingame, or other phenomena that would occur under "normal" circumstances
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been steady working on the behind the scenes stuff in the game, changing the genre from fantasy to post-apocalyptic town+underground, implementing fall-out etc.. Procedurally generating a city(block) and its underground has been an interesting process.
Fall-out has been a tricky one, such as contaminating objects, which is important especially with food+water, which is currently the main objective of the game. i.e. To hoard enough food+water so you can seal up the bunker you are in for six months, and wait out the worst of the apocalypse.

Also working on a barter system where you offer an object, or combinations of object for trade, and other actors/units, if appropriate, will make an offer of a trade if they have anything to trade,.
This I think would be more in keeping with the collapse of society feel about the game, and get rid of the "monetarism" that plagues too many games.

3yrs+ work, and another probably 3+ to go. Oh well halfway there, sort of. :D
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented light bulbs, that can be switch on and off, as well as smashed, and repaired.
I suspect that lightbulbs might be a "commodity" in this game.

Lots of other stuff too such as buildings, and designing the underground subway station etc, and getting "static features" to fit on/into a procedurally generated map.

Also creating more furniture etc, such as beds, though I haven't implemented tiredness yet, though sleeping/resting unit will be a part of the various strategies.
yodhe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh a screenshot....

Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed mention of it in the above posts, but are you using Allegro 4 for this project? I'm kinda wondering how people are finding the A4 -> A5 move to be.
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am using Allegro 4.4.1 for the game. I am intending to port it to 5 once the game is finished, so that you can do funky things like resize the screen on-the-fly, have some nicer effects, and event handling amongst other things.

Most of the people on allegro.cc seem not to be having much bother in porting from 4 to 5, but I have been waiting until the bugs are ironed out and the documentation gets better, and of course finishing the game to a satisfactory level.
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been putting into the game a "turn interrupt" system, where if a unit has either half its movement left at the end of the its turn, or is performing a specific order such as "guard" then if a unit enters into its field of vision during their turn (the other player, as it is turn based) then not only do they see it, they can potentially attack it, if it is in range. This was a feature of RebelStar/LaserSquad that I have wanted to implement for a long time, and feeling that warm glow of programmer's satisfaction at having achieved a cerebral goal.

Have also put in thirst/hunger stas/effects, and has been "fun" watching the civilians stop moving after a while, and dropping down dead from a lack of resources. Now I need to improve the AI so they go looking for these resources, and even turning on the player(s) if desperate enough. Who needs zombies, when you have a city full of radioactive starving commies.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented a BSP dungeon generator for creating the main bunker complex levels. I thought abot using it to create the town, but I think it would produce too regular spaced rectangular houses.

Done lots of tweaking to the AI, so "actors" respond to nearby combat, perform guarding duties, sleeping (on beds) etc. Also did a lot of work on hunger and thirst, filling up water bottles, emptying water drums, radioactive water etc.
"Actors" can also go "crazy", and your units will desert your faction if they become hungry or thirsty enough/morale drops too low.
NPC also are generated and added to the game, which give the town and it environs a more "populated" feel.

Also created a special building the church, for the brotherhood, as one of the factions.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of procedurally generated vegetation and the like (Speedtree, for example) but when applied to things like large dungeons or towns the results are almost universally lackluster. If you put in enough control variables I think dungeons could turn out well.

Quote:

"Actors" can also go "crazy", and your units will desert your faction if they become hungry or thirsty enough/morale drops too low.

Oh man, that reminds me of Ultima 7. My guys were always starving. "Feed me!" they'd cry.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.