GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing a lot of work on the AI, getting the units/actors to respond to their environment according to their species/race, and individual traits. And trying to create a heirachy/order for
the intelligent actors, so they look for food/water, light etc.
At the moment trying to think about how to introduce a realistic food supply into the game, or keep it as the current dwindling supply scenario, with corpse-harvesting.

Endless amounts of bug fixing and refactoring as well, and also put in Bush/trees on the groundlevel which can be chopped down and used as firewood or torches, though it is still easier to chop up
furniture to get these.

Working on trading items is going to be one of the next important things, and probably try and have a "reputation" system, so that factions and civilians/npc have a starting bias towards interactions
with your faction, which will develop on how you treat other factions and civilians, as well as your own team members. Be nice to people, and they will be more like to talk and trade, be violent and aggressive
and people will avoid you or be hostile.

And the obligatory screenshot to go with it

Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a faction system can be a nice adder. I'd like to suggest having a way to buy your way out of hostilities... such as an outright bribe, or a series of tough jobs you can do to get back into someone's good graces.

I remember the last time I played Stalker I accidentally got Duty all pissed at me, and they stayed hostile for ~half the game :( This normally wouldn't have bothered me, but they control the central hub of the game, which you'll be passing through quite frequently. Whoops. So I'd march into town, get shot at, promptly kill everyone... vicious circle!
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to suggest having a way to buy your way out of hostilities... such as an outright bribe, or a series of tough jobs you can do to get back into someone's good graces.

And also make sure that the faction's representative you can still talk to/apologize/get amend-missions from is somewhere in neutral space. If you put these NPCs into the middle of its faction's territory, the player has to kill many faction-members first to be able to make amends... kind of weird, IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I have been mostly fixing bugs, and tweaking visual aspects.
I hope to have a redesigned GUI in the next little while, that while be more "sexy" than the utilitarian display at the moment.

Once the next round of game features are implemented, it should be basically playable/winnable, and then I will spend a month or so
refactoring the code, and spending some more time on the feel/look of the game.

At some point I will have to think about sounds, music and foley, but that will probably wait until after the beta release.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I have been squashing bugs...
It now only crashes very occassionally.

You can simply barter one object for another with other NPCs.
yodhe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been re-jigging the main loop so that you can assign each faction as either OFF/CPU/HUMAN, so that you can play any faction, or if you fancy a bit of hot seat action.
I've also broken up the Civilian faction into two, one as a creature faction, the other as civilians, due to the differing AI for each.
For those that have read it, the game has definately taken on a Harry Harrison "DeathWorld" flavour. ;)
New screenshots with new UI soon(ish)
yodhe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus far

Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the top-down perspective, it reminds me a teensy bit of Siege -- this is not a bad thing; it's one of my all-time favorite DOS games :)

yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not come across that game before. I will have to look at it to plunder it for inspiration, thanks. Certainly I want to include an barricading/building aspect to my game, as you have to fend of increasing wildlife attacks, and this should also force you to work with other factions, or use it to perhaps weaken them, and play them off against each other.

Anyway back to polishing the turd,
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hit the inevitable brick wall, and haven't looked or touched the game in six weeks, after spending nearly 3 years on it, with an almighty "Why the f**k I am even bothering, nobody will want to play this, or even look at it".
All in all, it's a bit of a funk, that I am trying to get out of by thinking about porting the game to the Android OS for tablets, as I think the game would lend itself to this format.
Of course I really need to finish this last 20% of the game, so that is finishable/playable, which is proving to be a major hurdle, as everything everyone else does seems so much better than I can achieve, and seem to enjoy magnitudes of success more than I could ever hope for without seemingly doing a thing.
Funk a de funk de funk..... (I am sure mosbunal of you have gone through similar at times, I just need to express it).
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all hit this funk from time to time. Just gotta keep on trucking. It's a sad shame when a project is abandoned. I did that with one of my games that was essentially complete. These days, I kind of regret that decision. If anything, I should have released it how it was instead of scrapping the whole thing.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I end up in these situations a lot. Rather than explain why I think it happens to me, I'll just try to give a little idea on what you can do about it. I've found that if you can identify one task, anything. And just begin working on it, however simple it is, whether it's writing one line of code, you put yourself in a position to focus on getting that part done and things can snowball off of it. Everytime you find yourself doing nothing, identify one task and just do a tiny bit and keep doing that and eventually you forget that you're in a rut because you'll find yourself working more. It can be hard towards the end of the project, but this is what I found works if you want to finish it. Try it, you'll see for yourself.
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small babies, are not conducive to programming, even if they are cute!!!

Anyway have been stripping down the code, and memory sizes of the game, as my "target device" I have decided is a Raspberry Pi http://www.raspberrypi.org/
A mere 700Mhz with 256Mb, which seems ideal for a turn based 2D game like mine.
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried playing this for a while. At first I couldn't figure out the controls because I was using keyboard (didn't know you had to right click to interact with objects). Then when I finally got it going, got a good initial roll on initial objects, the game crashed on me. I got further into the cave than I did before, which isn't saying much since I would always die to monsters without knowing how to defend myself. Also, I think you should register key up as a latch because your menu was very hard to work with the keyboard. It would skip 1 or 2 menu options at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, super kudos for playing it, especially such an out of date version of the game. You certainly have given me some impetus to update the webpages and get the game into a playable state soon. Thankfully in the last year, I have solved all those problems you mentioned, having refactored the code several times.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the effort to start implement the Digging AI, which so far I have go it to dig corridors, next I will need to get the AI to dig rooms, and stairs. Having a mutable map, which the players can change themselves, like in Dungeon Keeper, certainly has ramped up the complexity of the AI, although I suspect it will be more "intelligent, or versatile" than before, and it is certainly ironing out the AI bugs.
Still making progress...
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AI now digs stairs and simple rooms.
However I am in two minds how much tunneling, room creation should be in the game, as it seems to have the tendency to tip the game play in quite definitive ways.
yodhe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done lots of AI stuff with digging, auto-exploring, finding and noting dead-end rooms etc.

Also added a variable FOV, so whilst wearing a gas/radiation mask your view is limited to a 90 degree arc, whilst grows to 160 when you take it off. This means that I can design special units that have near total vision like an owl's 270 degree view, or extreme tunnel vision.

Also I've done the medical bay where you will discover your first faction comrades, and can do healing and medical experiments... Think slowly turning your troops into cyborgs over time, with the advantage and limits thereof. Or maybe a bit of frontal lobotomy and brain implants, if those civilian recruits aren't fast enough in volunteering for the cause. Afterall you need to swell the ranks for that assault of the enemy bunker.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am doing my yearly refactorization of the code-base.
I hope to have a playable stable version out later this year.
Probably maybe have it finished in the next year or two.

Look there's another bug.. *sqwuiish*
yodhe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time over hauling the game and I reckon I might have a playable version in the next couple of months.

Some of game design has changed, you can play one of five factions, from the Morlocks, mutant worker slaves who toil in the ruins, who are trying to attack and destroy the underground bunker of the
Technological Elite, progenitors of the post apocalyptic world outside. The Elite are trying to seal off their bunker, and "sanitize" the surrounding area/mines/tunnels, before they enter their 100 year
cryo-sleep in anticipation of a new, less toxic and populated, future world.
Or you can play the faction from another Bunker, who are trying to repair their failing bunker systems by finding/stealing replacement parts.
Also there are the Raiders who are basically mercenaries, ex-military types, and other unsavory types, looting the ruins, after rumours of fabled lost technologies, and other treasures, to sell on
the underground market to other Bunkers, and groups.
On the surface there are the Survivors, a small band of hardy wanderers who are making their way to the fable free-islands in the Southern Sea. Having run out of fuel and supplies on the boat they
are traveling on, they must find what they need, and get away before the "evil biker gang" appear who have been pursuing them for days, and are determined to stop them escaping.

Anyway back to the programming.
yodhe

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's only nearly been a year, and but I have a playable version albeit slightly different from the above description. Now I am just polishing off some bugs, and tarting it up with some new extra graphics and the such. So maybe if I am lucky in a couple of weeks I will have an alpha for people to play.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing a little bit more of this project. Have you any recent gameplay footage that show off some of how the game plays?
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, but as you ask, I will try and get a video done ASAP. I just want to get some extra graphics/tiles done so there is a bit more variety visually. Do you have any recommendation on free/open-source software to use for this?

The main differences I have made have been a result of trying to get something finished, so I have cut it down in the Alpha to just one playable faction to start with in the demo scenario.

Anyway nose back to grindstone so to speak.

And an obligatory WIP picture to go with it...

BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not yet, but as you ask, I will try and get a video done ASAP. I just want to get some extra graphics/tiles done so there is a bit more variety visually. Do you have any recommendation on free/open-source software to use for this?
I recommend Hypercam 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not exactly free, FRAPS will now correctly capture Allegro applications, and it's a lot better than Camstudio ever was.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.