GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of minutes video (DivX 19Mb) of the first couple of minutes of gameplay....

http://www.onemananimation.com/test-video.avi
PoV

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize at first that it was going through like a fast-forwarded rendition of an automated turn. I was having a really hard time keeping up and understanding anything... ;) I think the video was too brief to make too many conclusions, but overall it looks interesting.

If you put together more video clips as you move forward on the game, I would personally like to see a little bit more of the combat system, against enemies that fight back a little bit more.
yodhe

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah youtube is the obvious suggestion, it was just quicker at the time to upload to my website, than to register a new youtube channel (which I have done now as taciturngames).

I will upload a few videos of the next week to the youtube channel, hopefully hilighting the different aspects of the gameplay.

Combat is quite hard and nasty, and it is easy to be killed with a single shot to the head, as there is no special dispensation for the players side. They don't miraculously have the ability to absorb thousands of blows, and neither are there potions that magically heal wounds. You do have access to a medical kit, and maybe a few ampoules of opiates and ampetamines if you find them, which have their obvious down sides. But the point is to try and play through the scenario without resorting to killing everything along the way in some psychopathic rage, though I don't stop the player from adopting that tactic, and it can work. It's not meant to be only a hack n slash, rather a RPG scenario as I imagine it.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodhe wrote:
But the point is to try and play through the scenario without resorting to killing everything along the way in some psychopathic rage
You do realize you are on the GDR forums, right?

Every thread in the "What are we playing" thread goes like this: "I'm playing X, I'm trying to kill everybody alive"

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Every thread in the "What are we playing" thread goes like this: "I'm playing X, I'm trying to kill everybody alive"

I'm pretty sure that's just me.

But if you guys want to join in we can start a club or something...
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's just me.

But if you guys want to join in we can start a club or something...
I'm pretty sure Mike did a few games like that too, or am I wrong?

I'm the opposite btw, I try to keep every minor character alive.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have some kind of valid reason though, or at least make one up. Not everyone around here has that kind of compassion.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaytube! :D
yodhe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG at last you can actually play this game.....

http://www.justanotherturn.com

Currently it on windows, I hope to get a linux debian compile done in the next week or two.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolness! I'm download now. This is still an A4 project, right? If so, I'd be interested in hearing how the Linux port turns out (as in difficulties encountered).

I'm leaning in that direction with a couple of my projects.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is still an Allegro 4 project.

In the past I haven't had any difficulties doing a linux compile, though this game is a magnitude more complex than my previous efforts, so I
suspect there will be a few bugbears to contend with.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have access to hardware to do a Mac build?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to any hardware to enable a Mac build, but also I would have to upgrade the Allegro version I am using from 4 -> 5. As Allegro 5 is
almost completely different from 4, it would require a rewrite of the code, which would probably take a couple of months to do, so currently is way down on
the list of things to do.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure Allegro 4x will build and run for 10.6 or maybe even 10.7... But yeah, I think the quickdraw APIs it uses on the Mac are completely deprecated in 10.8, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know what demand there will be, but if it is a case of a few hours/days work to compile if for <10.6/7, then it is something I would
certainly consider, once the game is a bit more stable/polished.
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a Linux (debian) version of the game to download on the website at www.justanotherturn.com

I've also add three type of firing - Aimed, Normal and Rapid, which cost respectively 75%, 50% and 33%(modified by your FIREARMS talent) of your
total move/action allowance. This means that you can fire multiple times in a turn, as well during OPPORTUNITY FIRE (i.e. fire in another persons turn,
when they cross one of your units line of sight, and your unit has more than 50% of the total move/action allowance left).
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to make the game crash when trying to draw a path for one of my character :(.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad,

Which version was it windows or linux, as I will give it a whirl to see if I can replicate what is going on.
I've had some difficulties porting the linux version, with "random" segmentation errors, mostly likely due to
one or two array out of bounds errors or such like, which take time, patience and a little luck to track down.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows version. It happened during the third round and I had swapped between the characters a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, and I will look into it.
I suspect the whole left click and drag function could do with a refactor and update.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept forgetting to play this (I even downloaded it three or four times due to retardation on my part).

I've been hella busy; no excuse obviously.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing, but I'm wandering around the map killing everyone I come across :) Surely that's not the way it's meant to be played, but that's what happens when you let me play a game with weapons in it :)

You've put a lot of work into this, and I can see a lot of non-trivial accomplishments, such as functional AI, pathfinding, line-of-sight calculations for lighting, etc. And while your UI could use another lick of paint, it's got more going for it than most games will ever need. There were a few things that didn't immediately jump out at me, such as moving onto the square to collect items, but there was nothing that I couldn't figure out within a few seconds of tinkering with the interface -- and certainly nothing worse than what you'd find in most 90s PC commercial titles.

This is a complicated game; and its got a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. feel to it that I like. Kinda stalker meets breach 2 or laser squad. That's a direction I'd love to see more games go. And holy crap is there a lot of people on the map!? I suspect I really only need to engage the raiders, but I'm being a dick and gunning everyone down.

I've only been messing around for about half an hour, so aside from one point of concern I haven't run into any bugs. Is save/load broken? I saved my game, exited to the main menu, and tried loading. Nothing happened. I ended up starting a new game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and page 3 of the manual is offline right now. Missing page?

I should have read more of that before starting :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, much kudos and thanks for taking the time to play it, and give some feedback. No excuses needed,
I am just stoked you even bothered.
You are indeed right, saving was broken, thanks for pointing that out to fix.
Yes I need to finish off the manual, and page 3 hasn't been done yet, whoops.
Also I don't know what version you were using, but I screwed some code pre-version 2 which
meant you could interact with objects/scenery at a distance, instead of mostly next to or on
top off. Also I fixed the flickering mouse, having forgotten to draw to the buffer first rather than
blitting it straight to the screen.
Definitely the UI could use with some tarting up, its on the to-do list, once I have got the game
functionally complete.
I think you would probably prefer the faction vs faction element of the game I am including, which
is more your straight shoot-out with the enemy approach, you against them, rather than the story-rpg
scenario approach of the "play story".
But the point is there is nothing to stop you playing the story however you like, and if you want to take
a gun-ho approach then that is fine, just don't be surprised if everyone you meet becomes hostile after
a while. Also if you are friendly enough to civilians, you can even recruit them to your faction.
Equally I also am trying to make it so that you can complete the game with minimal to no kills, but
surprisingly few people seem to be interested in that option. Psychopathic tendencies seems to be the
rigueur du jour when it comes to games.

EDIT: And thanks for pointing our the left mouse drag move bug, I finally managed to squish it I think.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MyRPG like game.... Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.