GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Errro 2: Outer Space Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the last couple of days finishing off the puzzle levels. I made the final 7 levels to reach 100, and this evening I finally finished scripting the challenges for the puzzle levels. (The darkslide levels shall wait for a while.) Now I am going through and testing / debugging the challenges one at a time. This process has started out a little slow / frustrating, but each fix I make for one challenge tends to cascade to other challenges (usually it's either a syntax error or a script processing error). In all I have created 532 challenges for the 100 levels, and I have properly tested just over a hundred of them. I should have time to test a high percentage of the remainder over the weekend.

I also will need to spend some time recording level hints for most (99) of the puzzle levels. If I get too frustrated / burnt out on challenge testing I'll get a head start on doing that. A majority of the levels are still waiting also for introductory write-ups (i.e. level intro message).

I did have a quirky bug with my level sorting function. I want to sort the shipped levels by level number (Level 1, Level 2 ... etc.). For this I wrote a dirty little function that would parse the numerical data out of each filename and then sort by that data. This worked great until I introduced a few levels with names like Level 50 - Time 4 Fun (for the record there is no such level by that name); once I stripped out the non-numeric characters, I essentially had level 504, and it appeared ("correctly") at the very end of the level list. Whoops!
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I have finally finished scripting and testing all of the puzzle level challenges. I slightly overstated the number last time (I still had some old test challenges in the file); ended up with 513 of them. That should keep players busy for a pretty good while. I do still need to first script and subsequently test the darkslide challenges, but I'd rather focus on other items for the sake of variety.

In that line, I've started creating the video hints for each level. Refreshingly, the process is actually moving pretty briskly so far: I've finished 20 of them. I'll likely work on the level introductions intermittently over the week as well.

I haven't posted anything cool for a little while, so here's a replay of one of the levels. It looks like something isn't working right at the end of the video, but really I'm just standing there thinking for a really long time. :P

In case I didn't steal the youtube embed code properly:
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty cool. I love how the platforms were getting stuck and reversing direction. Very neat. I feel like these levels are going to be somewhat simple though? Just flipping rotations and collecting the stars only? Or, am I missing something?
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's level 15 or something that like, so it's (in theory) one of the less challenging levels. I wouldn't call it easy, but it's certainly not impossible; I'm trying to avoid the "impossible" element as much as possible in the game. Incredibly hard puzzles and challenges -- the kinds that you have to put a lot of thought into but you can consistently execute once you solve the idea -- fit the curve I'm aiming for; impossibly hard designs -- setups where you have to balance yourself on the edge of a pixel and time your move to the millisecond -- don't. You can never know for sure given the inherently subjective nature of puzzle difficulty, but I think I've done a pretty good job of making things more hard than impossible. If you know what I mean. ;)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished the last of the level hints today. Some of them actually didn't take very long at all; on others, I had to spend a little more time deciding what kind of hint to show. (Ultimately a few levels did end up with rather helpless "hints" due to their less-puzzle-more-action design.)

With that done, I'm slowly starting on the level introductions. I stopped doing them after level 21, so it will take a bit of time. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about debugging the intro messages. ;)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. The level introductions and other similar wordy features are taking longer than I might have thought. I have just over half of them done for the puzzle levels. I had originally planned to finish these before advancing to anything else, but I might go ahead and intersperse some work on the darkslide level challenges or something; the introductions will probably take close to another week of work (on account of running out of narrative steam after doing a few at a time).
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished the introductions for the main puzzle levels. With any luck I can get the challenges scripted over the weekend and then start going through and testing them. I'll try to get a new darkslide video in the next update.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished scripting the challenges for the darkslide levels this weekend. I'm in the process of going through and testing that they all work properly. (Occasionally I run into dumb errors like #register_challengee_complete in my script. Why doesn't it work?!!)

After I finish testing the challenges, I will probably go ahead and write up the introductions for the darkslide levels. I had might as well go ahead and do it.

As advertised, here's a new video that unveils a new object while demoing one of the darkslide levels:

mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to rewrite the undo move feature. Previously I was just making a complete copy of the map object. This worked great on all of the puzzle levels and many of the sliding levels; however, a few of the sliding levels have enough going on that this "complete copy" started to interfere with the framerate.

I retained the complete copy approach for most individual objects, but I added a custom "backup" routine for a couple of select objects that appear commonly throughout all of the levels (e.g. stars). These routines return a dictionary with a few settings saved. Each of the select objects also has a contemporary "restore backup" function that takes the dictionary object and uses it to restore the object back to its previous state.

This optimization provided a noticeable performance increase. It will allow the undo move feature to work just as smoothly in the darkslide levels as in the puzzle levels.

I fixed a couple of bugs this evening. I thought they might take some time, but I actually just had to change a couple of lines of code to take care of them. That work allowed me to conclude the challenge testing process for the sliding levels. (I ended up with 119 challenges over the 30 levels.) As soon as I have completed work on the introductions for the sliding levels, I will essentially have finished the level design / testing process entirely.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thwomps!
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Those rebuilding blocks have such a cool effect. What happens if you happen to start falling through one while it's being reconstructed?

Are we ever going to get a demo?
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you make it through the rebuilding block before it finishes fully rebuilding, you're good. If you don't, you currently actually just get stuck, but I'll probably just make that a game over scenario.

I'm not sure about a demo, but the overall game is moving right along for the most part. I'm hopeful that within the next month or so I can have everything wrapped up and ready to ship. We'll see. =)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of the introductions finished, finally. Now I just have to proofread all of them and make any necessary format adjustments (paragraph break here, etc., minor stuff). Surprisingly, this is kind of annoying! I'll probably get it done tomorrow, though.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember that your Gravity Bombs and be your worst friends or your worst enemies

Yeah, thank goodness I'm doing this.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Awesome. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily, I have concluded proofreading all introductions and such things.

Yesterday I added some sound effects to the game. I have a few other effects that I need to do (and I will probably want to revise a few others), but I like the progress so far.

In my past games I usually resorted to making the sound effects globals. I've done it a little differently this time. Each object in the game has a "queued_sound" variable that defaults to null. When an object wants to generate a sound effect (when you step on it or something), it sets its queued_sound attribute to some constant (SFX_LANDING_SOUND, for example). At the end of the main game loop, I then do a quick loop through each of the objects to see if any of them wanted to play a sound effect.

Today I've been fixing little bugs here and there. Things are looking pretty good for the most part, though. I have some assorted small tasks on my todo list like "create object descriptions for level editor." You know... the stuff that you don't really want to do so you just leave it on your todo list until you don't have much else to work on. :P
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the current code on a windows machine today. It did pretty well, though I will apparently need to fix a couple of pathing issues. I didn't think I had hard-coded any path joins, but I'll have to double-check to make sure.

Over the next week or so I'll likely look to try to finalize the music for the game and to finish up a few last remaining bugs (such as the pathing issue). I also need to do spend a bit of time working on a web interface to administrate level uploads, and I'm planning on adding a small news ticker (or some such thing) to the DLC menu. It might say, "April 5 - This week I added 3 new levels, and cooluser51 added his first map. Check them out!" Something simple like that.

Oh, I also need to add the fullscreen option to the preferences menu. Don't let me forget!
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed through on my plan to add a "news ticker" at the bottom of the DLC browsing screen. It'll let players know what's new in terms of downloadable levels.

I fixed a couple of other small bugs, such as making sure the maps go in the proper folder depending on whether you're creating a puzzle level or a sliding level. Oh yeah, I also added a simple tooltip to the menu items in the level editor. I'll probably add in a menu option for disabling that, since after a few minutes you wouldn't need them any more.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More little bugfixes today. I finally got around to coding a rudimentary web interface for "administrating" the uploaded levels, so I can easily take a quick look at the levels and approve them without having to crudely edit a database by hand.

This game is just about ready to go live. I believe I'll finish it by the end of the month, most likely. You've been warned. ;)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. BTW, you should really set up some custom 404s. HostGator's are hideous. I was trying to find a path to your Errro_2 webadmin. ;]
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. The image paths are actually pretty separate from the rest of the site, with the capitalization (I don't like capitalization in paths) and underscores and such, because my file upload script just automagically creates the paths based on the category name.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most of the coding work done on the project now, I thought I would share some of the "design documents" I penned when I started the project back in mid-December. Hopefully they're at least somewhat interesting. ;)

mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the official trailer I put together for the game:

Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good. I'd play it. That's really all I can say at this point. It looks strangely unique, and challenging.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer needs music.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.