GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Royle Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Development Log - Royle Reply with quote

Like various freeware game devs, I mostly like to plot out ideas for an RPG (whoopee) and right the stuff out on a notepad. My current act of such involves thinking about what I would make next with Stencyl and the stats that I wrote up kinda suck (I'll explain more later).

Edited by DBAce9Aura on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 am; edited 2 times
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to hoping this thread will have a lot of screenshots and mockups. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first of the mockups for the spell type icons:

(Top to bottom, left to right) Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, Metal, Body, Mind, Spirit, Chaos, Unholy, Gravity, Time, Sky, Moon.

And now for the brief explanation on the stats (and why I think they're kinda crap):

*Attack: Affecting both physical and magical attacks might seem pretty convenient, but it saps both physical and magical combatants of any distinction.
*Defense: Damage resistance and healing/defensive ability efficiency. What could possibly go wrong? How about making clerical healers next to immune to serious damage (game breaking at its finest).
*Focus: Influences success rate (the more forgiving alternative to hit and miss), critical potency (when SR is above 100%), and resilience against status effects. It might not sound bad, but as with Defense, it can become a serious game breaker.
*Speed: Reduces SR% of offensive abilities and grants battle field movement. A bit too useless to put any serious devotion towards.
*Tech: Affects buff/curse/status effect potency with a dash of minor potency bonus based on a certain amount of the stat which depends on what class of action is used (Basic Action 10%, Magic Spell 25%, Special Move 50%). Pretty redundant, I know.
*Luck: Influences the bonus/penalty for success/failure of action taken as well as a chance for an extra turn. More useful than Speed, but not by much and comes close to being as redundant as Tech.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any comments regarding the previous post?
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're getting at with that post. Where's the context? Are these stats you plan to use, or stats you are trying to deconstruct?
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a process thing, really. Sidenote: What did you think of the elemental icons?
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look okay, considering there aren't many pixels to work with there. There are a lot of them, though. Am I going to have to do Rock-Paper-Scissors with combinations of these? As a player, that's annoying to remember -- but it depends largely on the type of game.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. For each spell type, there would be some sort of synergy type thing where multiple spells of the same type would enhance overall potency. It would probably expand to things like having multiple spells of multiple types synergizing with one another and depending on the types, there would be either a bonus in one regard (Water spell increases spell charge for Wood spell) or a severe penalty (Mind spell reduces success rate of Body spell).
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, so how is that not really? It sounds like I would have to watch out and make sure I'm combining spells that will be "super effective", while also ensuring that I never match up spells that will reduce my success rate. Again, annoying! Although, it depends on whether it's obvious to the player that a combination will not yield optimal results before they actually choose to execute said combination.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about in terms of resistance (i.e. Mind resistance, Unholy resistance) for which there will be no stat for. And as for the synergy part, I'll try to make as "not so annoying" as possible.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand. Probably largely due to not having a context in which spells are cast, etc. What is "spell charge"? There's a lot of things you're talking about here, but they seem to be in a context of an game-environment I don't know anything about.

Braindump threads hurt my brain. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think scaling the icons to twice their current size would help a lot. I wonder if adding a little colored shading to the various types of icons (e.g. a blue tint for defensive skills and a red tint for offensive skills) would help players to keep things straight.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Spell Charge: Long story short, it's "how many times can this spell be cost".

@mikedoty: I probably will the moment this becomes a game (that image was just a mockup), among a detailed (with images as with Elemental Clash) instructions menu.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for something that is guaranteed to "not" give anyone brain freeze. If you're familiar with weapon crafting, you'll probably be familiar with having to gather materials to make the crafting in question possible. Well, my alternative is that when you choose the weapon you want to buy, you can also choose whether or not to have enchanted and pick between all of the viable options (for an extra fee, of course). That way, you get your flaming scimitar without having to search for the right components to make it possible.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in effect, instead of grinding for materials, you will instead grind for gold? Or would the upgrades be relatively cheap?

Why not just let your mage enchant your weapon whenever you want? So much nicer than bringing your flaming scimitar through a dungeon to find out the boss is a flameotaur. "Whoops, need to go back to town to get my (or upgrade to) icy scimitar."
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enchantments will actually be pretty cheap. I'd say like +10 to the initial cost, somewhere along those lines. Also, for some weapons, enchantments are mandatory, like a holy hand grenade. That, and most weapons will only allow one enchantment (there are some that accept two, but that's it) and you can have it removed for the same price it cost to have in there in the first place (10 gold refund for enchant that cost you 10 gold).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could have plenty of different spell types and combinations as long as they were introduced in a slow, controlled fashion, and experimentation was extremely easy and straightforward. If you have to wander through a bunch of menus and such setting up combinations, a lot of people wouldn't bother beyond tinkering until they found one or two good combos.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is straightforward. All you have to do is just have the spells in question (provided by a spellbook or two) and the synergies will take over. That, and I guess every step of the way would provide hints as to what the synergies (it's not always based on spell type, it's sometimes based on specific spells).
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(insert missing image)

Just a mockup I did for the equipment slots. The top five are for usable items/weapons, the middle one is the wardrobe (which functions similarly to armour), and the last two are for souls (more on that another time).

Sidenote: @Sirocco: Yes, I'll probably find a way to introduce the various spell synergies available.

Edited by DBAce9Aura on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 am; edited 1 time
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that going to be the native resolution? It's really hard for me to discern what the icons are unless I zoom the image up.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no. I probably should have enlarged the image a little.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An actual mockup/screenshot demonstrating the basics of what the equipment menu is going to be like.

UPDATE: Added several changes. Still no sign of playable characters, but for the most part it's done.

Edited by DBAce9Aura on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 am; edited 6 times
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good start on a menu. The font is nice and easy on the eyes, which I dig. I get tired of playing RPGs that use some sort of 'olde English' font that looks like something vomited pixels all over the screen. Sadly, even my beloved Ultima 7 has an absolutely detestable font :(

I'd simply request some sort of background for the menu instead of it being 100% transparent. The tabs on the left are kinda cute, too. I'm guessing they indicate what type of item is listed?
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. That's much better. :] I agree on putting a background on the rows.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now that the background is in the rows, perhaps I should go into more detail regarding success rate. Instead of the usual hit and miss scenario, it determines whether or not the action you take will be of substantial potency or not. In battle, an arrow would show up giving vague hints on the success/failure of the action when it's initiated. If pointing up, success would be of normal 100% efficiency while failure will drop it to 25%. If pointing down, failure will lower it to 75% and success would boost it to 150%.

And yes, there will be an indication telling you whether or not the action has succeeded or failed. That, along with the soul system will come up later.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Royle Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.