GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Royle Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The equipment format has been changed from four categories to two: Active and Passive. The character's wardrobe will be the first slot of allocated passive equipment and the soul relics are now a part of that category as well. This was done to streamline the inventory system a little bit.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the continued session of designing a new inventory interface, I kept hitting a brick wall in the process. I do have a clear idea of what I want it to like (see link here: http://twitpic.com/5gr3lt), I just haven't tackled the method of how to do it while keeping things graphically consistent.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... Dark Sun. Can't really go wrong with that. It had a fairly clean interface.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, that portrait is just a placeholder.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was thinking of having some item-specific stats for the game that would function a different way depending on the item itself.

*Stamina: For Inherent only. The amount consumed is the same as the amount of Action Points consumed from Inherent actions, though it's also consumed from the use of non-Consumables as well.
*Durability: Which comes in two flavors. The one for shields is basically a secondary HP (though in this game, the health system is similar to Smash Bros.). The one for standard arms is similar to that of Fire Emblem.
*Charges: For magical items like spellbooks and wands. They all come with the Recharge action which refills the number of charges.
*Quantity: For consumables such as arrows, etc. They automatically restock if you run out and there's more of them are in your inventory.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on the HP system? I always loved the smash bros system and I have devised a few similar systems.

It seems to go hand in hand with systems like bleeding and it makes death a condition, instead of bound to HP. I'd love to hear what you came up with.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, it's pretty much like the Smash Bros. health system in that it measures damage taken (represented by a percent rating) instead of saying "hey, this guy has 100 HP". Attacks have both base damage and chance to kill ratings, which do increase as damage taken is accumulated.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. That works out fine. I assume you can have different builds that focus on high kill chance, so you can have assassin like characters?

Or maybe hammer wielding brutes that go for base damage, racking up the percentage high enough to make a kill with their low killing chance?
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, Gil.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've decided to reduce the number of spell classes to like 8-9, which is making me more stumped on ideas than ever. The synergy thing I mentioned a while back will still happen, though.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBAce9Aura wrote:
So I was thinking of having some item-specific stats for the game that would function a different way depending on the item itself.

*Stamina: For Inherent only. The amount consumed is the same as the amount of Action Points consumed from Inherent actions, though it's also consumed from the use of non-Consumables as well.
*Durability: Which comes in two flavors. The one for shields is basically a secondary HP (though in this game, the health system is similar to Smash Bros.). The one for standard arms is similar to that of Fire Emblem.
*Charges: For magical items like spellbooks and wands. They all come with the Recharge action which refills the number of charges.
*Quantity: For consumables such as arrows, etc. They automatically restock if you run out and there's more of them are in your inventory.

Though I'm not so sure about standard arms durability, since some people tend to have a bad experience with it, even when the arms in question don't break when reaching 0 durability. Also, I'm not sure stamina (or better yet, an Inherent active slot) is necessary. Any thoughts?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weapon breaking or serious degrading = bad news, in my book. I can't stand that. It can make sense in a post-apocalyptic setting or survival horror where you're struggling to survive rather than being heroic, but it just feels like a cheap way to annoy the player with equipment they can't rely on. At least give them an option to mod the weapon to make it unbreakable?
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sirocco: Well, in that case, I guess could just stick to quantity for consumables and charges for spellcasting items. Shields might still be used to absorb damage as a secondary HP meter (but won't break or vanish if reduced to 0).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could opt to make weapons and armor recover their effectiveness over time. So during periods of heavy fighting their stats would drop, but afterward they would begin to recover. Unrealistic, indeed, but this is gaming we're talking about ;)
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or have some facility to repair.

I myself am considering the breaking angle, but I suppose I'm making a bit of a survival game.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sirocco: So should I use something like "dealing X% damage reduces item durability equal to or 1/2/1/4 of damage dealt"?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely have to experiment with the numbers to see what works out (I did plenty of experimenting with Fenix Blade's wonky-ass combat modifiers), but if I had to make a basic stab at something like that, I'd try this:

Items start at 100% efficiency/effectiveness (we'll call this E). Make this number something with good precision... 0.000 - 1.000 comes to mind. So, 0 = trashed, and 1 = perfect condition. Each time a weapon deals more than 75% of its maximum damage, decrease the E value by a very small amount, say 0.002. This means every five good whacks you lose 1% E. You'll want to balance this depending on the type of game you're making. In a game like Stalker where you might be gone for hours at a time between trips to the repair guy, you'd want this number to be low. In a fast-paced action-type game where you're frequently beset by enemies, you could have this work much faster (perhaps 0.01, equating to 1% E per good hit) but have it slowly regenerate at a rate of 1% per 7-10 seconds. If things got too low you could use a repair kit, or some magic, or visit the blacksmith and pay to get your stuff back in order.

You can also get tricky and create special rules like "Once efficiency drops below 50% if can't regenerate above that. Gotta get it repaired properly!" Fallout 3 does something like that, IIRC.

There are lots of possibilities, but it chaps my ass when I get some good equipment, and half an hour later it's trashed.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I apply this to spellcasting items that run on Charges as well?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBAce9Aura wrote:
Should I apply this to spellcasting items that run on Charges as well?

I wouldn't think so. Those would be consumable items, right? For example: you buy (or find) a fireball wand, and once you've used up all its charges it either gets tossed -- or... you could bring it to a magic shop and have it recharged at a discount. That way there's an incentive to keep the expended item in your inventory, taking up space, because you might get it recharged before you'll ever find another one.

Or you could treat those items like candy, where they have 1-5 really damn powerful charges, and then get tossed.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys remember that screenshot of Cry Havoc where it shows the player stats and that the min value of them is 1 and the max value is 5? Well, the four main stats outside your health and AP (Action Points) /MP (Move Points) are going to be held under the same jurisdiction.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new spell class roster is now set in stone, seven of which are from the original incarnation (Fire, Water, Earth, Metal, Plant, Chaos, Sky) and Aether which makes eight. With this particular set up, I can emphasize spell synergies much more than I would if I had stuck with 13/14 spell classes.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBAce9Aura wrote:
You guys remember that screenshot of Cry Havoc where it shows the player stats and that the min value of them is 1 and the max value is 5? Well, the four main stats outside your health and AP (Action Points) /MP (Move Points) are going to be held under the same jurisdiction.

The neat thing about having a low number system is that it emphasizes even the smallest change. The downside is you need to think things through on the math side because you don't have much wiggle room. I like to make sure each project I take on has an interesting design experiment, and for FB:CH it was the odd 0-5 numbering scheme for all stats in the game outside of health, which was measured in percent.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't posted anything here, but I was waiting for an update for Stencyl which disables physics for actors, thus boosting the performance/frame rate of the game itself. In EC, much of the in-game slowdown was due to the fact that all those squares were tied to some form of physics. Also, the stats (excluding Health) are being renamed after various character classes, but the mechanics for them will still stand.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while. Currently touching up on some of the pixels. Since the Smash Bros. health mechanic didn't turn out so hot, I'm falling back on my backup plan of just giving everyone 100 HP.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Since the Smash Bros. health mechanic didn't turn out so hot

If you don't mind my asking, what didn't you like about it for your project?
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.