GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Royle Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the main thing that inevitably ruined the ride was random chance, in this case, random chance to get killed. In some battles, you could get owned with 0% damage taken or live even after 500% damage is taken. Sure I could've used a value of how much damage a target needs to have taken before getting killed by it, but that would've made balancing feel like pulling teeth out of a lion's mouth while it's still awake. Fun fact: I actually consulted some long-time RM folks (Skie Fortress and Craze) about this system and they pretty much agreed that it felt rather tacky.

As for the 100 HP system I'm pursuing now, action penalties from losing health (does not apply to healing) are similar those in Decker. Flow of combat is still being decided, but I'm leaning on real-time with pause.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a few ages since the last post. The growth system I've planned out is based entirely on talent sets and Eno Relics (working name, sort of). Both take the role that's usually reserved for the classic XP/Level mechanic.

The synergies that I originally planned for the various spell classes will expand to include all types of abilities. Some of which will be more obvious than others.

That, and I've secretly been plotting out the narrative. I'd write it all out on a text document, but at this point, we all know how writing interactive stories is like.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing much to show, but I can say that the few graphics that do exist have been touched up a bit. That, and I've been fiddling with isometric movement in Stencyl. Definitely not cancelling this one.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isometric, you say? I like the sound of that!
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to show everybody that I actually have a consistent palette now (see further right of picture). Still some touching up to do while waiting for Stencyl to bring back the font shadow option that you've seen in effect in one of the earlier mockups.

Sidenote: Plans for how battle encounters work have been finalized. It's basically in the vein of earlier tactical RPGs (Shining Force, Fire Emblem) in that you encounter them during certain points, as well as in the same fashion as that old MSX/PC-8801 action RPG I've mentioned a while back in the sense that respawning is extremely minimal to non-existent.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since that "other" thing is wrapped up, it's back to business with this project. I keep wondering to myself if 9 save files will suffice or I should go all the way and have the genre standard 99 files.

That, and there's still the "easy to use and lightning fast (or as lightning fast as possible)" interface thing lingering around.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icon looks good! I bet you could get away with 9 save files. "Power" users could always manually copy/paste the save files in the working directory on their own, I suspect. (Could be wrong!)

Wait, another idea... start with 9 save files, but you can buy more save files from one of the NPCs!!! Please do this!
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to bring this dev log back in action since I haven't abandoned this project. Possibly the only reflection I have on it so far are whether or not to have 24x24 icons as opposed to the 16x16 ones I was initially working on (the resolution currently chosen for this game is 320x240 2x, which might change later).
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Royle Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.