GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Spring 2011 Page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Offtopic - Spring 2011 Reply with quote

Winter 2011 Off Topic

Fall 2010 Off Topic
Summer 2010 Off Topic
Spring 2010 Off Topic
Winter 2010 Off Topic

Fall 2009 Off Topic
Summer 2009 Off Topic
Spring 2009 Off Topic
Winter 2009 Off Topic

Fall 2008 Off Topic
Summer 2008 Off Topic
Spring 2008 Off Topic
Winter 2008 Off Topic

Winter 2007 Off Topic
Fall 2007 Off Topic
Summer 2007 Off Topic
Spring 2007 Off Topic

Winter 2006 Off Topic
Fall 2006 Off Topic
Summer 2006 Off Topic
Spring 2006 Off Topic

Winter 2005 Off Topic
Fall 2005 Off Topic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when spring comes early. :]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually trying to buy some stylish looking retro joysticks, and stumbled across these... somebody 3D modeled them and is selling the models:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/retro-joysticks-wico-obj/376513
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/retro-joystick-obj/357537

Also, this guy has a nice collection:

http://www.syntaxerror.nu/joysticks.html
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are pretty sweet. Would be fun to make a game that uses them. Only one button.... :]
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone ever use UI wire framing tools like Hotgloo or Balsamiq Mockups to design user interfaces? What do you think of tools like these?
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I used Tile Studio to make user interfaces. The results actually turned out pretty decent.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Does anyone ever use UI wire framing tools like Hotgloo or Balsamiq Mockups to design user interfaces? What do you think of tools like these?

Hotgloo looks like a good collaborative tool for making UIs when in "design by committee" mode. Balsamiq looks so cute with its hand drawn motif. I suppose it you wanted to be ambitious you could write your program(s) to import the wireframes and populate them automatically.

For myself, I jot down notes and wireframes on a notepad or graphing paper, depending on the complexity of what I'm envisioning. If it looks functional on paper, I move forward with the idea.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an e-mail last night that opened with "Dear Maikeru Kasupazaku", which makes me smile. I feel like I've won something. The writer didn't copy+paste my name, but went through the trouble of Kanafying my name, then converting it back in to roman characters. Wild.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha awesome. Best email I ever got was from China and that was for desktop version of Zep. It's always super nice when you get people writing in about your stuff. :] I've found that the number of people who do this is strangely low -- even when you give them a really easy way to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/Oujbl

Funny stuff.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually really awesome. Haha. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, Bob Ross is rolling in the grave. Happy little trees my ass!
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacking epicness in your daily lives?

Looking to make mundane things sound huge?

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Hit the button.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fun. :]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice discussion of tutorials.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2921-Tutorials-101

EDIT: Okay, this Extra Credits series is actually really good. One I find especially notable for my game:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2681-Amnesia-and-Story-Structure

But wow, I've watched 4 so far and they've all been great.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If it takes X megabytes to store a hi-fi recording of your favorite song, but you can hear the song in your mind, sing it to yourself, air guitar, air drum all the parts, does that mean your brain stores X megabytes of data?

2) To simulate a glass falling of a table requires a lot of math and calculations, but you can see the entire process in your mind with out ever actually touching the glass or breaking it. Does that mean your mind is performing complex physics simulations, of everything, all the time?

3) Clearly your brain isn't digital, it's analog. So does that mean all this computation and storage is occurring in waves bouncing around and between synapses somehow?

4) Maybe your brain IS digital?

5) The thought experiment that led Einstein to the theory of relativity was trying to imagine what an observer would see if they were traveling away from a clock and seeing it recede at an ever increasing speed. What kind of thought experiment could lead to some insight into whats going on inside the brain?

That's all. Thanks for your indulgence :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your brain is extremely adept at reconstructing events procedurally. Your brain is more analog than digital, but it has a depth and breadth that go well beyond our current level of comprehension, and it is also exceedingly skilled at tricking itself into thinking its reconstructions are the genuine article, pulled from the gray matter, as it were.

There was an article recently where it was suggested that the brain doesn't remember exact events, akin to a person watching a movie, but like a person reading an extremely detailed manuscript and letting it play out in his/her head. The brain records the high points of the event, then when you "remember" it, it reconstructs the event based on what little snippets it knows, along with the disturbingly complex ability it has to fill in the gaps intelligently. No puns intended.

Kinda like how speed readers can learn to "see" entire paragraphs or pages of text at once. As I understand it, they don't actually take it all in, but let their brains pick out the important words on the page, and let it fill in the gaps as best it can.

Quote:

That's all. Thanks for your indulgence :)

Any time!
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. First Dennis puts a spybot on my text editor to find out what I'm coding, now you're running scans of my google searches. ;)

I read part of a book called "The Holographic Universe" a while back. It was really interesting for like, 2 chapters or so. You might already have read about all that before, but if you haven't I'd recommend glancing over those couple chapters in a library or bookstore sometime.

I was reading just earlier today about quantum-thought types of things, which I pretended to understand and stuff.

There are so many theories about all these things out there. It's a lot like how there are a lot of different programming languages, except it's harder because at least with programming it's obvious that Python is the best language. =)
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine 1 and 2 are extreme lossy forms of compression.

In the case of 1: Midi notes of a melody (stored relative instead of absolute), combined with rough approximations of tonal notability (what you would hum). For a rock song, you'd be remembering some sort of 'mouth guitar' like version of it - rough pitch, tempo, staccato (rough note placements/lengths), and grittyness of it. As you listen to a song over and over again, you build a more and more accurate CRC or faster hash function. When compared to the original, you compare your lossy version + CRC against it. Quality of CRC is what tells you it's a cover-song or remix version and not the "authentic" original.

In the case of 2: Simplified simulation, but simplified in the same sense as simplified game physics simulations. You know the glass falls, and likely explodes based on contact from the surface. The simulation is simplified to several larger particles (shattered glass bits), reflecting off a plane, likely totally ignoring glass-bit vs glass-bit collision, or even rational orientations post impact. That's a very simple simulation to do even in a game, and even from my own tests of rotations, though physically wrong, it looks right if it reacts at all.

I don't pretend to understand how an analogue computer would function, but I like to think the brain is analogue. It's capable of precise accuracy, like a float or double is accurate to a certain number of digits. Blanks are filled in by other cross referenced data, such as a song having a consistent tempo, or patterns (Pachelbel's canon in D). It's a thing really good at reconstructing lossy data from assumptions - almost like there was a database of information, and a database of assumptions that were always cross referenced. The assumption database may actually be larger and more sophisticated than the information database.

Maximizing space by storing only what's necessary to reproduce the data in enough detail - Enough detail that actually matters.

The Donkey Kong above isn't the exact Donkey Kong from the NES version. I tweaked the pixels on his belly since I didn't like the stipple patterns of the original. Did anyone actually notice? Not likely. Donkey Kong is a red blob with fleshy colored blobs.

How about the blatant errors in the raft? You probably didn't see them until I told you there were flaws.

Fuzzy brain.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped worrying about how my brain functions a long time ago (at least I keep telling myself it's unimportant how it works as long as it does and helps me achieve the goals I've set my mind to) and I just try to use it naturally, often without even thinking (verbally), trying to accept the auto-pilot mode its got built-in.

There were times when I worried about everything, tried to rationalize every thought, every action, explain everything by pure logic but damn, that way of thinking was/is exhausting so I forced myself to accept the fact the brain works well without me constantly worrying about how it does what it does.

If that makes any sense at all. Currently my brain enjoys playing Dragon Age Origins and the x-mas/new years resolution productivity boost seems to have passed. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/silver-aluminium-flip-up-ignition-2-covered-switch-panel-for-auto-refitting-24576

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flip-up-start-ignition-switch-panel-and-accessories-for-racing-sport-dc-12v-21787

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flip-up-start-ignition-switch-panel-and-accessories-for-racing-sport-dc-12v-21785
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Why are you linking these? :]
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept these links under the premise that the reason for posting these is probably sufficiently awesome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered toggle switches are always awesome.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Age Origins seems huge. Statistics said: Time played 55.5 hours / World explored: 30% / Game completed: 14% (maybe I should stop stopping every two meters to take screenshots of everything from every angle)

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.