GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Moai Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I got in a few (very) minor bug fixes, and added tooltips to about two dozen things I was missing. I also realized that files with a .jpeg extension weren't being recognized, so I fixed that as well. When you ask Moai to load a file and it doesn't have a recognizable extension, it opens the file and attempts to locate a header. The problem is that JPG doesn't have a traditional header like most other files. So a file with a .jpeg extension would fail the extension check, then also fail the header check, and the program would just ignore it and move on :|

But yeah, I'm getting a ton of polish in and things are so much better in truly minor ways. Nothing breathtaking, mind you, just a ton of annoyances being crossed off my list.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed a ton of minor bugs in the file browser; mostly really obscure stuff like tabbing in/out if input fields and making the cursor go wonky. I have no idea how I missed them all this time, but they're gone now ;) Actually, I did all that Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tile ink is getting a very nice upgrade. More tomorrow when I feel like it's properly tested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big post is big. Because I have stuff to say. Unimportant stuff...

Tile ink is now able to apply a second ink type in a single operation, at variable strength. That means you can apply a cel as a pattern with any other type of ink, without having to first render it to a blank area, capture it as a cel, then paste it. It saves time, and keeps you from dealing with the annoyance of cleaning up edges.

. .

The little button in the window (appearance not final) allows you to select a different set of ink. Also note the strength slider. Typically you'd leave this at 255 and default to whatever settings your ink already has, but you can cut back here if you want to without changing your other settings.

. .

You can generate some interesting effects. In these examples I've captured the orange Moai face icon as my cel, and made the gray background color my mask. Eventually I'll have a hotkey to allow quick repositioning of the cel, so you can move the pattern around to suit your needs. Not today, though.

. .

This feature respects your existing settings, so brush tips blend as you'd expect, and using a secondary ink means it'll recolor the pattern using your brush color. In these examples I've kept the same cel throughout, which is bright orange.

. .

I'm testing the various ink types to make sure they are completely compatible with this feature. I've run into a few hiccups, but nothing substantial.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaaaaay back in the pre- 1.0 days, I coded a quick and dirty routine to reset a workspace. I didn't have any default values set at the time, so I made things like the favorites and ink/brush tools random. Somehow I've forgotten about that all this time.

I took that code out this morning. Starting a new workspace will now retain your current brush/ink tool selections, and favorites. Your extended favorites are also preserved, but only because it's easy to clear them out with the nuke button.

File under: How the fuck did I miss that for that long?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm going to polish and release 1.8 as-is, or put it aside and start work on converting Moai to SDL2.

Hmmm.... decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly done porting my framework to SDL. I started working on the GUI this evening, and giving it a large rewrite because the code is seriously ancient. After that, the big things I have left are the soft shaders and object behaviors. I've been able to jettison a fair amount of crufty code that wasn't of much use.

I haven't run into many hiccups. Most of the stuff that has given me problems were add-on libs that felt like behaving outside the standard SDL way of doing things.

Getting Moai ported will still be a serious task, mostly because of the changes to the GUI, and need for extensive testing throughout the process. Some time this year? Yes. When exactly? Who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dedicated "Sirocco rewrites his shit for SDL" thread, so those random thoughts will go here, because eventually Moai will get ported to this framework.

I'm mostly done rewriting the GUI code. Beyond just the usual "draw c at x,y" calls that are easily wrapped away, I've been giving my data structures a thorough rewrite, and that's causing me to rewrite or toss all my code. So... that's taking long than I'd like, but it's nice to refactor something that damn old ;)

And I'm taking the time to make sure all things have access to alpha and soft shaders and all the doodads that were semi-supported throughout the framework. I'm going to end up with a smaller framework that's got tighter feature integration.

I've got a hardware mouse cursor working now, which visually eliminates the annoying lag in the mouse input in Win 7/8. I say "visually" because while the mouse moves on screen like it would on the desktop, the actual mouse coordinates being reported still lag. This *shouldn't* cause any issues because by the time the mouse slows down or comes to a stop the coords match up, but I have to wonder what'll happen when you click and draw a big line freehand with a sweeping movement.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.