GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 76, 77, 78  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Heimdall 2. The combat wasn't all that great and the spells were mostly useless (barring the obligatory healing spells), but I enjoyed playing it anyways along with digging the visual style.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played through Fallout New Vegas. I wanted to like it, but it just feels like a bland version of Oblivion.

I'm sure it's just me not getting into the post-apocalyptic setting or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing Altier Rorona (?) on PS3 on and off since Sunday. Today though I decided to try some of the PSN freebies I grabbed some weeks ago. The 2D Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character is clever. Gary "Army of Trolls" did much of the art. Also played some inFAMOUS. Heh wow, first semi modern game I've played in a long time. ;)
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been testing some Team Fortress 2 and That Conan MMO since both is free to play now (well, I guess there's helluva lot microtransactions in the Conan MMO so free might be the wrong word). I dont think either games will hold my interest for very long.

It takes ages to get into a game in Team Fortress 2. First the loading time and then 60s prep time? Gah.

Conan seems to follow the general MMO formula. It's way to much Warcraft and there's a reason why I stopped playing that game :/.

I have started a playthrough on DNF that I uploaded to Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badmrbox#grid/user/378DEF4C9FD75AFB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Played through Fallout New Vegas. I wanted to like it, but it just feels like a bland version of Oblivion.

I'm sure it's just me not getting into the post-apocalyptic setting or something.

Probably just you. Conversely, Oblivion felt like a bland version of Ultima. Like Morrowind -- people worship it endlessly but it bored me to tears.

I finished H.A.W.X. this morning. Very arcade-ish. Decent. Any flying game that starts you off with > 100 missiles is going in the right direction ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metro 2033 improved right at the end, but it was a mostly spotty experience. There were some Stalkeresque moments, but the iffy level design killed much of the fun... and the damn gas mask BS. I'd give it a 6/10. Gotta give it a 0/10 on PC since it requires Steam to run :(

Herp.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing The Saboteur off and on this week, and it's much better than I was expecting -- granted I'm playing it on PC with the only available patch, so I'm not sure how much better/worse the console versions are. It's an overly-ambitious GTA clone that puts you as an Irish mechanic stuck in Paris during the earliest days of WW2. So early, in fact, that you see the first moments of the war during the game's post-introduction mission.

If you're not a fan of the GTA-style open world with main missions, side missions, and numerous optional activities, you won't care for this. The map is gigantic, the scenery diverse and engaging, and there are hundreds of German assets to blow up. Seriously; hundreds. It's nuts.

The stealth stuff is clearly a little flaky, and at times it's better to just Rambo your way into a situation, plant your bombs, then run away. Apparently enemy soldiers can't look up more than a few degrees, so you can lob grenades off rooftops all day long :) I will say this much -- this game is proof that Pandemic was capable of learning from their mistakes; even if it took a while to sink in. This game feels like everything they wanted to do with their previous open world games, but never quite managed.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever play the first Mafia game? That's the standard I compare GTA-style games to. To me, that was an almost perfect experience.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember the first Mafia never played the second one even though it looks good in trailers and on screenshots.

Currently I'm playing Diablo 2 LoD again, started a Necromancer yesterday with the Pro flag on (which means I will only play until my first death because after that, the character will be dead forever and can not respawn in town). Killed Andariel twice already and will descend into Radaments dungeon under Luth Golein next.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyone ever play the first Mafia game? That's the standard I compare GTA-style games to. To me, that was an almost perfect experience.

I own a copy and have gone so far as to play the first three missions, but the setting never really captured my interest, so I shelved it for later. So I don't really have an informed opinion on the subject. Pantsu finished it a few years ago and remarked that it had a big difficulty spike at the very end of the game.

I probably did around 50% of the optional missions in The Saboteur. I got all but two of the perks max'd out, had all the shop weapons and accessories, and had taken out 33% of the free targets in the city. So despite having finished the game, there's still plenty left to do should I feel up to it. I'll probably keep it on my hard drive for a while and drop back in to bomb stuff. Sadly, it does get a little buggy toward the very end, and the ending leaves much to be desired, but that's understandable considering how EA shit out the game without letting it be properly finished.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started playing the original Fallout game. I'm actually starting to enjoy it.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
I own a copy and have gone so far as to play the first three missions, but the setting never really captured my interest, so I shelved it for later. So I don't really have an informed opinion on the subject. Pantsu finished it a few years ago and remarked that it had a big difficulty spike at the very end of the game.

I really really urge you to play on then :). The reason for the difficulty spike is because the end of the game (which is more than brilliant story wise btw, extremely well done ending) turns slightly more into an FPS for the last mission, which is not the game strongest suit.

I play GTA-style games weirdly btw. I always play driving games with a gamepad and FPS with mouse/keyboard, so for games with both, I tend to switch around, picking up the gamepad to drive :)
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Splosion Man

Its only downside is that the increase in difficulty (compared to the original) can result in some unproductive coop sessions. Get in there with someone you know (or a good random player) and you'll have a lot of fun, though.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcraft II. :] Working on some achievements. They are pretty difficult at times.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Minecraft, because of the crazy good Better than Wolves mod.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mike: I'm back to playing Errro 2. Damn, that game is hard :)

A good kinda hard, though.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to spend some more time posting that game places. I also need to clean the kitchen.

Do you play with a gamepad or just straight up keyboard? I felt like using a gamepad made things a little easier (less time remembering which key did what).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you play with a gamepad or just straight up keyboard? I felt like using a gamepad made things a little easier (less time remembering which key did what).

Sorry Mike, I derped and forgot to answer that last post. I play with the keyboard, but I'm open to trying out the gamepad option. I've got a shiny new Gamecube controller hooked up that needs some love. Or abuse. It's the same in my book.

I also started playing Lost Planet 2. It's like someone put Monster Hunter and Resident Evil 5 in a blender, then shot it into space. Really weird game, that. I think I like it? The guns feel really meaty, at least.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Vampire: The masquerade - bloodlines a few weeks ago for a reasonable price on steam. I haven't played much yet but I intend to do so this weekend.
I have a feeling that it is possible for me to loose alot of hours on that game.

I also got the latest Castlevania this week and I have played up til the first boss (I guess its the first boss. It's an giant robot in an icey area).
I do like it this far, having Patrik Stewart in the game is awesome.
I dont like that the game wants to hold my hand all the time. Everytime something is about to happen the game feels the need to slam a bigass text in my face - PRESS L2 NOW.
The music doesn't feel very Castlevania at all and thats a bit sad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I picked up Vampire: The masquerade - bloodlines a few weeks ago for a reasonable price on steam. I haven't played much yet but I intend to do so this weekend.
I have a feeling that it is possible for me to loose alot of hours on that game.

I don't know how that'll work with Steam, but you'll definitely want to install the very latest Unofficial patch. The final official patch puts you at v1.2, but it's still hopelessly broken. With the unofficial patches it's nearly bugless.

It was a really fun game for a while, but it started to bore me toward the end. The first two areas have a really heavy Deus Ex vibe to them, running around the city taking on side missions and solving puzzles. Super awesome stuff! Toward the end it degenerates into a straight shooter, which made me sad. Still worth playing. Once you reach Chinatown, just know that there's little reason to keep playing unless you really love the combat system ;)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished playing through Dragon Age 2 a couple of days ago. I enjoyed the game pretty well, but it wasn't perfect. It occasionally seemed overly hard, but I probably didn't level up my magewoman as well as I could have. (Who cares about healing your squadmates when you can upgrade your fireball yet again?) I also felt like the story kind of railroaded me into decisions I didn't want to make toward the end.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know how that'll work with Steam, but you'll definitely want to install the very latest Unofficial patch. The final official patch puts you at v1.2, but it's still hopelessly broken. With the unofficial patches it's nearly bugless.
Yeah, that was the first thing I did.
The game didn't even start without the patch. With it, it runs really smooth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I supposed to be playing games?

I was playing Atelier Rorona, but I haven't touched it for well over a month. I forget exactly, but I'm pretty sure I'm more than half-way through.

I should play something, but I'm insane enough to think I should be aiming to have something for IGF submit time.

*sigh*
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Portal 2. Co-op multiplayer is really fun. Still working through single.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pantsu and I finished playing The Warriors tonight. We had finished the campaign almost four years ago, but hadn't done any of the optional missions, which give another 6 hours of gameplay. It's a hella fun game co-op, but the camera is total shite... really painfully terrible.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.