GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page 1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Okay, so what are we playing right now? Reply with quote

Lemme have it. What games are occupying your time? Anything new? Good?

I finished Black Ops last week, and plowed through the Mass Effect 2 DLC over the weekend. I'm now moving back over to Samurai Warriors 3 for a little while.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently these three:
- Puzzle Quest II (XBLA)
- Minecraft (PC)
- FFDissidia012 (PSP)

I would like to pick up either RedDeadRedemption or LA Noir, though. Still don't feel like I have enough time. :] Also, always on the lookout for games that have good same-console multi.

[edit] Forgot to add:
Legends of Yore (iPhone)

Edited by sonrisu on Tue May 31, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civ 1 and Dungeon Hack :D
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Doom. Thanks for your endless stream of PWADs, Doom community... this game never gets old. <3

---
Twitter - @HadroSoft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PoV

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only thing I'm playing consistently is my weekly Pathfinder game (Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 like, but improved, and more true to classic D&D tropes than 4th edition). We just started a new campaign. The DM asked me to, so I'm playing a Bard (a self proclaimed rockstar wielding a harpsichord keytar). We're playing a variation that starts at level 1 and hits cap at level 6 (I.e. Beyond 6 you start getting godlike), but we gain feats in the place of levels beyond 6.

Since beginning the new Campaign, I've had a whole bunch of "oh duh" realizations about pen & paper RPG's, and RPG systems in general. Seeing how I've been designing an RPG video game, I have to say, starting to play a regular pen and paper game has to be THE BEST decision I could have ever made... Even though both entities are so different.

I'm left yearning to do more research. I have 19 some RPG books on my shelf, mostly D&D and Pathfinder, but expect that to grow in the near term. I won't run a game myself, but will go far and wide to find insight to make my video game more awesome. Those "celebrity D&D" games are some fine inspiration (and entertainment). :D

Powered through Myst last week. Played a bit of Gravity Hook HD on iPad. Not much really.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go through the Dragon Age Origins Addon campaigns next and then I already grabbed Mass Effect 1 and 2 from Steam when they were reduced, so those are next after that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Seeing how I've been designing an RPG video game, I have to say, starting to play a regular pen and paper game has to be THE BEST decision I could have ever made... Even though both entities are so different.

The double edged sword about P&P rpgs is the DM. When you have a DM that interprets the rules well and keeps the game flowing, it's great. When you get a rule nazi (or sadist) everyone loses. With computers the DM is always 100% consistent, but you never get the chance to make your case for a different course of action. You can only do what the DM says you can. When I'm playing a game like Baldur's Gate it just comes off horribly dry because there's little opportunity to improvise. I can't say "I want to make a throw against my dexterity to try climbing the walls of the keep. I bought climbing gear at the last town... remember?" All I can do is pick the lock on the front door... if it lets me :)

Quote:

Civ 1 and Dungeon Hack :D

I've still got Civ 1 on my hard drive. I'm tempted to fire it up; I've also be tempted to give Civ 5 a try since it's supposed to be significantly different from its predecessors.
DBAce9Aura
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vantage Master is one of several games I'm playing right now.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hooked on Angry Birds on Android. Which is odd because I gave up long ago on portable gaming. Yet here I am, sucked into these silly damn games!

Aside from that, I still fire up Need For Speed every once in awhile. Sadly the online community has diminished over the past couple months.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might DM a small D&D 4 campaign at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D 3E! Cause 3rd Edition books are super cheap used, and we have a lot of new players.

I'm having a hard time getting them to bite any adventure hooks, though. So far they haven't cared about the unearthed ancient Dwarven civilization, the spellbook describing a lost form of magic, the archlich who stole it from them, or even the abandoned airship left behind by the dead wizard. But they're REALLY STOKED about this farming village full of big ants.

I keep feeling like I should play more video games, since I'm supposedly working toward that industry, but pretty much the only thing that keeps my attention is Freeciv.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywise wrote:
So far they haven't cared about the unearthed ancient Dwarven civilization, the spellbook describing a lost form of magic, the archlich who stole it from them, or even the abandoned airship left behind by the dead wizard. But they're REALLY STOKED about this farming village full of big ants.

Classic. A smart DM makes 100 hooks that all lead to the same quest. Whatever they're going to ask anyone, they'll just get onto the tracks for the same quest :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homefront - A little frustrating because it's too easy to die in campaign mode, which breaks the flow, but the story is pretty good.
Minecraft - Just like everybody else... but I take regular breaks, usually after rage-quitting.
Tales of Phantasia - I can't resist a little SNES rpg goodness. It's not up there with the elites, but still a good distraction.
ADOM - It's an addiction.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Minecraft - Just like everybody else... but I take regular breaks, usually after rage-quitting.

I have, somehow, still managed to avoid this entirely. I'm afraid if I start playing I might never stop :) At some point I'm going to get stupid and buy Fallout: New Vegas, and then you guys won't see me for about a month. Or two.

I've been playing Sengoku Basara Heroes off and on for the last two weeks. Just like Samurai Warriors 3 it has an immense level of replayability. Mowing down hundreds of chumps feels oddly satisfying.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in a cool minecraft server? The one I play at can use some more members lately :)
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to play any real game (except the occasional match in League Of Legends (free to play Defense Of The Ancients clone)) as I'm hooked on some silly (but fun) browser game called Shakes & Fidget and in the rest of the time I'm filling out dumb paperwork for the employment office, quitting subscriptions to all kinds of stuff and on the positive site: started doodling again.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Nukem Forever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
Duke Nukem Forever.

Aaaaand...? Is it any good?

I see it being absolutely savaged in reviews.
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Ignoring the fact that it's been in development for 12 years, is it at least entertaining for a game made in 2?
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I dont even mind the regenerating health that much or the slow start. I could do without the 2 weapon limit though.
The graphics are unbalanced and it looks dated but hell, people play modern warfare 2 and say that looks good.
The levels are linear and that I dont like. The things I dislike about the game is when it tries to be modern.
There's alot of interactivity in the levels. You can weightlift, micro rats, play with poop, play flipper etc.etc.
What I've seen of the single player campaign yet it's not worse than any other modern fps.
It's quite too much consolified though, no quicksave wth... and theres QTE. Me dont like.
And I would prefered if the levels had been designed as in Duke3D thats for sure.

I like the multiplayer. There's no perks or any other crap, just a bunch of Dukeclones blasting each other to pieces. When you level up you gain new stuff for your place instead of bigger weapons.
I like hearing Jon St. John spitting absurd one-liners. I like punching aliens in their nutsacks and uppercut their heads off.

I'm not sure what all the reviewer thought they would get when playing this game, really. I think they would have pissed on it however it would have turned out. Seems like they think this version has been in work for 14 fucking years. It's not a fantastic game by any means but entertaining enough.

Edit: The slow loading that reviewers complains about doesn't apply on PC. It takes maybe 5-10 seconds to load a level. Nor have I experienced any framedrops at all either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've described it's what I'd categorize as an average game.

Quote:

I'm not sure what all the reviewer thought they would get when playing this game, really.

What strikes me as silly are the reviews where people splashed their (likely mock) indignation all over the page. I'm not impressed by someone who is so thin-skinned they can't tolerate a little content that goes against their moral grain. If you can't review something objectively, step back and let someone else take a crack at it.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some examples of that? I haven't really checked the reviews and I'd like to see some of the offended ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two off the top of my head:

Duke @ Ars
Duke @ Destructoid (Really odd, since this is Jim we're talking about)

Content-bashing aside, the console versions sound pretty meh.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Destructoid review made me cringe.
I'm thinking about Jim's rant about The Hive level.
Quote:
One level in particular takes place in an alien nest where Earth's women are being inseminated by giant penises.
Just like in Duke 3D they are pitched to tentacles, they are not visually being raped.
Quote:
The women writhe and moan in a fairly humiliating fashion, and they regularly sob with no small amount of implied misery. In essence, the women look like they're getting raped. In fact, they are. That's the big joke of the level. The aliens are raping the women to create babies.
They moan because they are pregnant and are about to give birth to the alien scum.
Quote:
Now, I'm a fan of offensive humor, but the "joke" in this level is so morbidly presented, so dark and downright unsettling, that I simply do not know if Gearbox intends for us to laugh or to throw up. I certainly found I was in danger of doing the latter over the former.
By the time Duke Nukem finally makes a "You're fucked," joke, which he makes in front of two girls who are about to die in the process of getting sexually assaulted, Duke does not come across as cool, witty or likable in the least. He comes across as a vile, callous, thoroughly detestable psychopath.
I dont know about Jim Sterling but I clearly heard remorse in Duke's voice when he said that. So also in all the other oneliners that deals with women in that level. Maybe not 'Why do they always take the hot ones' but hey, it's Duke.
Mr. Sterling totally missed the mark here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my tolerance for certain (read: all) subjects is abnormally high, but I find it funny when people get all bent out of shape over a game, book, or movie. I've had games make me mad as hell, but it was solely because they were sadistic and drove me mad with their shitty designs.

I'm playing Baten Kaitos Origins now, and it's one of "those" games. You know, the kind that was clearly made by raging dicks who take delight in tormenting the player at every given opportunity. The sad part is that I find the story and characters so interesting I'm willing to keep playing it despite how much I think it sucks ass as a game.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page 1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.