GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are a few LucasArts and Sierra games that I never got around to playing (The Dig, Codename: ICEMAN, etc) and have been sorely meaning to visit. Quest for Glory II will probably be my first target, though.

I haven't played The Dig yet either, and also want to play The Day of the Tentacle.

But for now I'm doing The Longest Journey and then the two sequels probably.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvidsson wrote:
and also want to play The Day of the Tentacle.

I guess by now my opinion of DotT is well known :D Play it!

Has anyone tried out ME: Andromeda? Combat looks interesting, but outside of that everything else looks... half-assed. Is anyone playing and enjoying it?
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, just seen all the mockery surrounding ME: Andromeda. Some of them are just hilarious and some makes you question the developers... Like why that one human woman is walking like gorilla for example.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
Nah, just seen all the mockery surrounding ME: Andromeda. Some of them are just hilarious and some makes you question the developers... Like why that one human woman is walking like gorilla for example.

If nothing else, it's generating laughs like no tomorrow. After ME3 I decided I wasn't going to bother with Bioware anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nier was double-plus-great and I'm gonna replay it now that I've gotten all the normal endings. I'm missing a bunch of the joke endings.

And Persona is landing in a few weeks. O LAWD.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
And Persona is landing in a few weeks. O LAWD.

This is gonna be trouble!

I managed to avoid getting Zelda with my Nintendo Switch, but I do expect to get it AFTER Ludum Dare.

So that and Persona 5, I'll be effectively missing from society for like 2, maybe 3 weeks.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing ark again. I obviously have a problem. I was going to lie low and not mention it, because I have no right to complain anymore (snake that bites and all), but. I couldn't believe the last update, it introduced a bug... the game exits to the xbox home screen if your controller turns off. I take those "your controller batteries are low" warnings a lot more seriously now.

It's a ridiculous bug, but it also casts a dim light on the microsoft certification process, whatever it is, I guess they have one because the update was "in certification" for 3 or 4 days (more?). I've never been involved in any certification process, but I've understood it to be very tedious, with a lot of checkboxes to cover, and I can't imagine "if controller is disconnected" isn't on that list somewhere.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. That sums up one of my main criticisms of middleware like Unreal. Though in Unreal's case you do have source level access, but as a licensee you probably don't know it well enough to fix real problems like that.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done everything in Nier: Automata except for taking out the secret boss. I got to him, but he's L99 and I'm L64 and he promptly pushed my stool in. Well... I think I may have missed a few sub-quests, now that I stop to think about it. Either way, I'm ~50 hours in and feel like the experience was well worth investing time in.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very clear on many of the details, but apparently a couple of bad guys "invaded" the private ark server I've been playing on. Invaded isn't quite the right word, because it's more or less an invite only server -- they had been playing for a little while -- but either way, they attacked or destroyed a couple of bases, one of which was the admin's base. The end result was that they reset the server again, and everything is gone again. I'm unclear as to whether or not the official story is "blame it on the developer" again, I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Definitely a bummer. I think there's a certain selfishness on the admin's part (my base got destroyed, so I'm resetting the server and destroying everyone else's too), but that's also your right when it's your server. Now I'm trying to decide how interested I am in goofing around in single player, as I just don't think I can trust other people's servers -- certainly not the one that's cost me 3 separate greenhouses, and I'm not too hot on the prospects of joining some alternate private server where another attack could happen, or the admin is a jerk, or [etc]. There are pve servers where you can't kill the other players or damage their houses, but even there you can supposedly lure powerful dinosaurs to other people's bases, utlimately I get the most distinct impression that there is no foolproof solution to the problem, unless you have a very private server where you only play with people you actually know.

(Except ,that's not foolproof either, because sometimes the game itself bugs after an update and your house disappears that way. Damn!)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing Terraria yesterday (again), (it's kind of like ark right? except you don't lose your progress every week?), build some houses, fight some bad guys (actually combat is better in Terraria, faint praise though)... but I don't think I can do it, I can't get into it. I think it's because it's 2d -- which I have nothing against of course, except it lessens the immersion too much for a building game, so instead of walking through my front door and looking around at my 3d house, I just have this little stick figure drawing of a house, and it loses something.

Or, maybe it's something different than that, because I had the same hangup with minecraft and it's definitely 3d. I think that had a little to do with realism too, e.g. in ark if you put a fireplace in your house it looks very much like a fireplace, but in minecraft a fireplace is just another small cube, and you have to use your imagination more. Then again, your fireplace in minecraft probably isn't going to disappear every week, which is a definite plus.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, town building in Terraria isn't really the focus of the game. It's needed, because that's how you unlock shops, but it's all about roaming the world, collecting items, finding townsfolk, and fighting bosses. It's most like a randomly generated co-op Metroidvania, with shitty controls. I had to spoil the game a bit to enjoy it, but I did quite enjoy it.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
Then again, your fireplace in minecraft probably isn't going to disappear every week, which is a definite plus.
Place your fireplace inside you wooden cabin and you'll see what'll disappeat rather quickly :P
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I see that you are not at all kidding about that fireplace!

Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh man, I see that you are not at all kidding about that fireplace!

Watching that video was pure magic. You can see the guy panic when things get out of control.

In other news, I picked up No Man's Sky for $10. I'm not sure it's worth that much, really. It's an impressive effort but it fails to entertain me, and the UI is a total clusterfuck. I really wish the "Hold button [x] for [y] seconds to do something" trend would die off. I'm not a fucking idiot, and if you design your game controls carefully you'll minimize mistakes.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have borrowed WiiU from my brother, so I am playing the new Zelda. Clearly I can't conclude much after a couple of hours, but so far I like it. You have a little more freedom in dialogue, like a guy will say "I need 5 sheep skins, then you may pass" and you can say "No problem" or "That's outrageous!" I think most options generally lead to the same outcome -- might be wrong -- but it's a nice little addition. One time already a character has made a comment like "btw I saw you snooping in my house, now get outta here," which is a scripting trick I always like to see.

I did get killed by the controls once. Just when I was climbing up a mountain, I found a small cliff to rest on (so I could keep climbing), but then the game said "oh! what's that, you want to base jump off this cliff and die? not a problem!" and thus I wasted 2 minutes of slow, tedious mountain climbing.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way fire spreads is one thing I would like them to change in Minecraft. It's silly how far the fire can jump as it is now. Another one is how you set your spawn. Utter dumbassery to only be able to set your spawnpoint at night.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the writing in the new zelda is really, really bad. It's not like I bought -- err, borrowed -- it for the story, but some of the characters make me really wish you could kill NPCs. Also, so far all (I think?) of the cutscenes have been nothing but storyboards, no in-game cinematics or prerendered scenes, which feels a little bit lazy to me, like maybe they could have printed the story in the game manual and been done with it.

No major complaints about the gameplay still. I've been rewarded for doing certain things that weren't advertised, like "hmmm that' sa funny looking [thing]" or "let me pick that [thing] up" and then getting a reward out of it. I've also run into a couple of bosses, and promptly run away from them right away, with my 4 heart containers and puny weaponry. I thought about trying to cheese one of them with bombs, but his health only went down 1 or 2 percent each time, so it would have taken forever (assuming I didn't die during the 29 hours it'd take).

And in full disclosure, I did youtube the solution to one of the shrine puzzles last night.
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont be playing it for a few more weeks, but...

Diablo wrote:
And in full disclosure, I did youtube the solution to one of the shrine puzzles last night.

Frankly, I've never liked Zelda's puzzles. I think that's what ruined the later games (everything not on the NES) for me. I enjoy exploration and finding secrets, not hitting a brick wall because was supposed to fire an arrow at a switch you were supposed to notice when you turned around. The two ideas are similar, but I prefer to be rewarded for cleverness, not be punished for lacking it.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days 'til Thimbleweed Park. So excited. Will have to unplug from the web until finished to avoid spoilers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB wrote:
Three days 'til Thimbleweed Park. So excited. Will have to unplug from the web until finished to avoid spoilers.

I wanted to back this one very, very badly, but chose to hold off because there was no explicit promise of a DRM-free version. There was just a vague, "Eh, we'll try." I will still purchase a copy in some form.

And Persona 5 comes out in a week as well :/
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are releasing it simultaneously on steam and gog, gog version will be DRM free. The late backer site I went through emailed me with a page/key to claim the game on the humblebundle shop and the claim page says "Thimbleweed Park, Cross-Platform and DRM-Free" will appear here upon release.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Night in the Woods to play too. All the games are coming out!!
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defeated my first boss encounter in Zelda. I don't have any idea whether I'm doing things in the "right" order, or if there even is a right order -- perhaps all of the bosses are of a comparable difficulty. Anyway, it was youtube to the rescue for a second time during the dungeon itself (just for one puzzle that I couldn't figure out), and then the boss took a good handful of tries to defeat. Overall the dungeon I thought was very well done. I have a horse now, and I named him Gallop.

I tricked one of the bad guys into shooting his buddy with an arrow earlier, so enemy friendly fire is on. Then right after that, I countered the guy who got hit, and my powerful counterattack hit both of the bad guys, a nice double kill. All of their remains fell to the ground, and then cowardly even in death, their entrails began rolling down the hill, I had to chase them for 5 or 6 seconds to catch them as they tried to roll away.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another dungeon in the books, if you want to call it that. This one I also enjoyed, but these are not on the same scale as previous dungeons in zelda games -- much shorter. I beat the boss on my first try, but all I did was shoot him with a bunch of arrows. Not sure if that means I cheesed the fight, or if that's what I was supposed to do, but it worked.

I thought I might have lost Gallop earlier, because I got him stuck in a strange area (steep cliff + boardwalk), and he refused to go anywhere. Believe it or not, one of the loading screen tips helped me here, it told me "if your horse is stuck, hold (some button) to make him carefully go places, and just as advertised, I got him to start moving again. Of course, I also learned that you can magically summon your horse at a horse stable (even if they're not there), so he was never going to be lost forever.

Speaking of horses, I'm upset about one that got away. There was a pack of 4 or 5 horse riding enemies, and I shot one of him off his horse and stole it. The horse was very cool looking, and I liked him quite much, but then the last of the enemies killed me somehow. I got revenge after checkpoint loaded, BUT I'm very suspicious that the game changed all of the horses, like it randomly generates them when a checkpoint loads, because none of them looked like the one I remembered riding. I settled for one of the new ones.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.