GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started playing Rocksmith 2014, trying to level up my guitar playing skill for my music. I've also been eyeing the original Phantasy Stars on MEGA Drive/Genesis. They're inspiring me to work on a space opera next.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to ask if you where jamming some 'Through the Fire and Flames' the other day but didnt want to disturb you haha.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed up much too late last night -- again -- playing more Dark Souls. I had a very close call with death at one point, I was in a new area and trying to hurry because some guy kept throwing exploding cannonballs at me. What a terribly dangerous castle, I wanted to see what was at the top. I also apparently stole a magic-imbued straight sword from a dragon, he tried to kill me over it but I managed to get out of town with a handful of HP to my name, just enough to get by. Now that I have such a weapon, I can finally start exploring the catacombs area.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U (no joke). I'm probably a bit too hyped about getting Monster Hunter World next year, and Monster Hunter Double Cross this summer (Generations expansion).

Just trying to get a feel for how the game is played on a TV again. ;)

Nowadays I consider myself a Monster Hunter veteran, and remember having such a hard time with the game back on the Wii (not Wii U). Playing MH3U, despite the downgrades, I've yet to hit a brick wall. The only mission I've lost was a capture mission where I accidentally killed my prey (oops). I remember getting frustrated at Monster Hunter 3 Tri on the Wii. I can't remember how far I got, but after a mere 10 hours I think I'm awfully close.

Lots of people complain about the underwater fights in MH3. I didn't remember them being bad, but then I fought Gobul... yeah, they suck. Monster Hunter World looks to have much better tools for luring monsters. If I could lure water monsters of the of the water more easily, they wouldn't be so much of a problem. Ah well.

Oh also, there's a chance that Monster Hunter Double Cross wont get an English translation, so I'm actually preparing myself to play it in Japanese. Nintendo Switch makes it very easy to import Japanese games (literally make a Japanese account, and boom), so if Capcom decides they're not giving us a port, I'll do that. Double Cross is basically the same game as Monster Hunter Generations, with a few small additions, and G rank monsters (Monster Hunter games typically have Low Rank and High Rank monster and gear tiers, but some games also have G Rank).

Generations introduced an advanced tier known as Deviant monsters, but the gear wasn't necessarily stronger. It was basically just grinding for a few unique skill combinations. You need to beat each Deviant 10 times in different scenarios to officially clear them and get the best gear. Again, very grindy. I beat a few of them, but that's where I cut myself off in Generations, since you really weren't getting anywhere, just maxing out some top-tier gear that you didn't need since there was nothing stronger to fight.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself into a minor conundrum last night. I put my summon sign down for a boss(es) I hadn't seen before, figuring I"d "probably die in there anyway." Well, the host player did most of the work, won the fight, and suddenly for my participation I received an unexpected 75000 souls for my "efforts." Incredible! right? Yes, but ... I'm already several levels higher than my friend, so if I level up too much higher, we won't be allowed to summon each other (because of the character level disparity). So I "can't" level up ... but I also don't want to do any serious exploration with 100,000 souls in my pocket, I don't want to lose them. I wish there were a soul bank... you'd reallllly think one of these enterprising undead fellows would have seen the market for such a thing, they sure as heck set up businesses for everything else you can think of...
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wish there were a soul bank... you'd reallllly think one of these enterprising undead fellows would have seen the market for such a thing, they sure as heck set up businesses for everything else you can think of...

This is probably the nicest thing about The Surge. You can still lose your "scrap" if you die and don't recollect it in time (!), but it takes a lot of needless waffling out of the general game-playing equation.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
I wish there were a soul bank...
There is... in a way, after Kingseeker Frampt awoke... hint: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dung-pie
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB wrote:
Diablo wrote:
I wish there were a soul bank...
There is... in a way, after Kingseeker Frampt awoke... hint: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dung-pie

That's very interesting, though I fear the disclaimer about "The small value and time consuming process discourages overuse." would unfortunately apply in the case of so many souls. Then again, it could be pretty funny to hear the Frampt guy's "eating sound" over and over and over... I might have to try it at least once...
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Prey. A fantastic ride, it was.

It was essentially System Shock 3 without SHODAN. Or maybe we could say there were multiple SHODANs and no way to know which one to trust. I went full shotgun+combat focus+repair+hacking, and spent my resources on shotgun rounds and neuromods. I kept a supply of recycler and emp grenades for those moments when a room was full of nasties.

some observations:

- The recycle/replicate mechanic is great, but unbalanced. Every blueprint needs the grey element. Most need orange. Few need green or purple.
- The hacking minigame was trash. It looks like someone asked an intern to design it.
- Controls were good on PC. Overall the PC port was decent. It did crash on me a lot toward the end of the game.
- Music was sparse but effective.
- Graphically it felt very 'Arkane.' Heavy on the wood-trimmed, plush aesthetic from Dishonored, but given an impressive set of polish.
- Definitely room for a second play-through if you went all-security or all-psi.
- Turrets are flimsy as fuck :[
- Movement was quite forgiving. You'd grab and mantle stuff automatically, and it felt pretty good.
- Micro/zero gravity controls were also great. It takes a minute or two to get used to, and then you're zooming all over :D
- Tons and tons and tons of stuff to salvage. And you'll want it all, too. Bullets are expensive to make...
- Few weapons in the game, but psi powers make up for that... provided you actually use them.

The game also featured multiple ways of getting around obstacles, but it felt less obvious than recent Deus Ex games. You have a nerf gun which can trigger buttons and panels, psi powers to shapeshift (think small gaps), maintenance hatches to use, windows and structural damage to take advantage of, items to hack, and good old sleuthing to come across door codes and keycards. The gloo gun could be used to make ramps and bridges, ensnare enemies, and eliminate environmental hazards.

Early on I kept a small army of turrets with me, and would lure enemies into an ambush. I had to switch tactics once enemies cropped up with strong ranged attacks. I could still set up ambushes, but it'd be understood most or all of my turrets would get wrecked in the process, and repair parts were never plentiful.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quite finished Prey. I got a little frustrated wtih the outer space stuff I was doing near the end. I think what frustrated me more than anything, was that the enemies would respawn when you backtracked your way through the ship.

Now, to drag my hollow carcass back to Anor Londo and try to get past the knights and their nuclear powered bows and arrows. Let's hope I don't end up like this poor lost soul

Quote:
This place is really killing my game mood. Ive been dying there over and over tonight. I even went and washed my stove instead of dying again.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I never quite finished Prey. I got a little frustrated wtih the outer space stuff I was doing near the end. I think what frustrated me more than anything, was that the enemies would respawn when you backtracked your way through the ship.

Yeah, and it's rather arbitrary. At some points in the story enemies constantly respawn, and at others they do not.

But when the military operators start showing up, they never stop, which is a huge PITA. What I did notice is that there is a hard limit per-area of how many operators can be present. If you kill one, another will spawn to take its place. So instead, you disable them. You don't get any loot that way, but you also stop the endless flow of super-enemies coming after you.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became unhappy with my sorceress. I started putting points into strength and endurance so I could kill things with shields (block my spells, bah), but then I was like a watered down sorceress who also wasn't especially strong. Thus, I have spawned Empirius, a new cleric who specializes in faith and miracles, most devastating of which is his lightning spear, which... was a lot more devastating before I got to Anor Londo and everything had 50000HP, but still, it's a pretty cool looking attack.

I saw that Diablo 3 has the necromancer now, I would totally try it out... if it didn't cost money. :) I wanna at least check out some videos of it, sometime.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started, and finished, Get Even a few days ago. It's a suspense/thriller FPS. I think you end up doing more exploring than shooting, but there's a good bit of that. I can't really say much without spoiling things.

It was an impressive effort for a small studio, and I enjoyed the ride. The game does lose some points from me for encouraging you to avoid combat, but then later it says "yeah, fuck it. Go wild." And in the tutorial it hammers home the concept of your actions having consequences, but I fail to see where it actually does. Again, probably something they planned to expand on and just failed to find time for.

Still, a good budget game if you can score a cheap copy. The PC port was good.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played through Day Of The Tentacle Remastered in two evenings, still remembered most puzzles from back then. Developer comments were interesting, didn't know that all the backgrounds were cleaned-up, scanned marker art or that originally the game featured a couple more playable characters which were cut to simplify things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

didn't know that all the backgrounds were cleaned-up, scanned marker art

LucasArts got into that around the same time as Sierra, but IMO their art usually came out cleaner because they leaned toward a more 'cartoonish' style. Monkey Island 2 was a notable exception, and had a lot of noise in the scanned images. When King's Quest 5 was released they really pushed the "Scanned art!" marketing slogans pretty hard. Same thing with KQ 6.

If VESA 2 had existed back then and developers could easily have gotten cards to do hi-color in low res, I think the results would have been so much better.

Quote:

originally the game featured a couple more playable characters which were cut to simplify things.

That also surprised me. Given how the game turned out I'm glad they went that route.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started Persona 5. I loaded it up and before I knew it I had time traveled 4 hours. It's been a long time since a game has held my attention like this, especially one that is so story heavy. The scenes are gorgeous as well. I spent a fair amount of time just looking around at how they colored the zones.

This is the first time I've played a Persona game. The concept is pretty interesting and much deeper than I expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Persona 4 and 5 are very much the perfect RPG's for people that are bored of RPG's (whether they want to admit it or not). On the surface "oh look it's highschool", but it's all a facade, and the rabbit hole goes deep.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is the first time I've played a Persona game.

Welcome to the club! We meet every eight years. Or so.

I think Persona 5 should be required material for any serious student of game design, or gaming in general. And there's really no other game quite like it.

Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought Turok The Dinosaur hunter remaster (Damn, has it gone 20 years?). Most excellent work by NightDive. I am very inclinded on getting Seeds of Evil as well. Would be fun to play that game in 60 fps.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cleric finished the game and has begun a new game plus, and he is becoming very powerful. I reached the Anor Londo archer part, and I used a powerful miracle to destroy the bastard that you have to get past. As soon as I had rested at the bonfire though, I got INVADED. This seemed inconvenient at the least, but I just stood by the bonfire for close to 10 minutes. Finally the guy showed up and killed me, but in the process of looking for me he did me the favor of opening all of the locked shortcut doors, so in the end I really didn't mind it at all. I have also created a new sorceress, thinking maybe I can spend my stat points more effectively this time.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself alone, deep beneath the surface in Blighttown. Darkness surrounded me, its terrible black veil turning the flesh-colored monsters into blurs and shadows, darting from cover to cover and always threatening to attack me from any direction. In this forsaken place, I had found too many enemies to reliably track -- as I focused on one threat in the shadows, I lost track of another at the same time. It was in this state of mind, slightly dizzied and always in duress, that I allowed one of the demons to strike me with highly venomous darts. As the poison took hold, I looked to my bag for a piece of blooming purple moss to relieve my symptoms, but in this cruel hell called Blighttown, even my bag had turned against me, offering not even one single blooming purple moss cllump.

Temporarily undeterred, I firmly took hold of my sorceress staff. I could see the radiant light of my blue, incandescent soul arrow reflecting in his eyes, he that demon who had inflicted this now irreversible condition upon my body. His flesh steamed and his throat gasped its last, and his pitiful carcass crumpled to the ground in a pile of newly claimed souls. In his death, he took one more spite against me, offering me nothing more than an ordinary purple moss clump as trophy. Thus I now faced the undeniable reality: I now had zero chance of curing my condition without prompt access to a bonfire.

Wearily, I took another drink from my estus flask, restoring a moderate number of points to my health bar. Wiping the excess from my quivering lips, I returned to my bag and fished out a homeward bone, tossing it anxiously from one hand to the other. One simple sniff of the homeward bone would return me safely to my previously bonfire, it would cure my toxicity, and it would allow me to preserve my souls and my humanity -- however, it would also require me to once again kill many of the terrible enemies I had left in my wake.

Meanwhile, I could smell the next bonfire in the distance. I couldn't stop now -- I must press forward, I must reach the next bonfire. As my health bar deteriorated, I took one last gulp from my estus flask. Damn, it's empty. In my diseased, toxic state, my health bar continued to tick toward zero: even time had now turned its back against me. With a dwindling lease on life, I raced toward the bonfire, narrowly dodging by another demon's knife attack. I leapt down from the next ledge, landing on a rotting plank of wood. An entire section of the walkway collapsed from the impact, and I stood fractions of inches from a fall into eternal doom. Increasingly weary, my eyes began to fog over, my health bar continued its unstoppable march into oblivion.

The bonfire's weak embers called from a distance. Struggling to my feet, I moved with the greatest haste toward salvation, still cradling the homeward bone as a last resort. But now I knew the undeniable truth, that I could not turn back, even if it cost me all that I had brought. I stumbled toward the final ladder, the final descent to the bonfire, but I surely did not have enough time to mount and dismount the ladder. No, I must take a fall, and as my feet crashed onto the landing below, my embarrassingly limp health bar decreased by 50%. Terrified, I took the final few steps toward the bonfire, reaching out... desperate to once again warm my hands above its fragile embers. As darkness finally claimed me as its victim, I collapsed against the bonfire, leaving my fate to the whims of destiny.

0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Souls the novel, I like!

Tried Grim Fandango remastered (never played the original) last week. Major disappointment. The dialog is great and the voice acting is excellent but I just can't see past the technical issues: The camera decisions are awkward, the renderings really did not age well, the running speed is still way too slow when I just want to try something, having to backtrack through a bunch of screens takes a painfully long time. When I finally encountered a show stopping bug in the petrified forest I just could not be bothered to continue.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am done with Dark Souls now. I have collected all of the achievements, which means that I played the game too much. This pleases me greatly.

Yesterday I rented a movie, and the guy at the counter said I could rent a free game because it was video game celebration day or something. Sure, why not, right? With nothing much to lose (free is free!), I rolled the dice on Alekhine's Gun, a game I had seen mixed reviews (at best) for, but nonetheless sounded interesting enough.

Well, I give the game a review score of 0 / 10. First, a completely unacceptable sin: no option to invert the y axis! What! The! Hell! Luckily, you can remap buttons at a system level on the xbox now, and in the same options screen you can force "invert y axis" on the controller. It's a hack because it affects everything (e.g. scrolling through a menu now is also inverted), but it was a good workaround. Unfortunately, I could not find a workaround for this -- when I sneaked up behind the first bad guy, the game says "press right trigger for quiet takedown" but no matter how many times I press the trigger, whether I'm crouching, standing, moving toward him, pressing rapidly, none of it worked. It's clearly* bugged, so ... perhaps I will terminate the game and restart it, maybe that will fix it? No, and to make things worse, this attempt reveals another terrible sin: unskippable cutscenes, as I am forced to wait the still-picture narration only opening story again. Very disappointing.

In the end, I resorted to punching the first bad guy a few times, then stealing his outfit. It worked in that situation. The main problem with the game is that the dark areas are really dark, so if there's a bad guy in there, you simply don't see him. I went into a building, and there was a staircase to go upstairs ... except, you couldn't see the staircase because 50% of the room was pitch black, including the staircase. Eventually I found it by deduction. So, then when I went back outside (still wearing the soldier uniform I stole from the guy with the special ring granting invincibility to quiet takedowns), suddenly people start looking at me sideways, then they just start shooting me -- their fellow soldier -- for no good reason. Maybe they found the body (I didn't properly hide it), maybe the disguise is only effective at a certain distance, I don't know, but unfortunately it all added up to a supremely underwhelming experience. :(
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
the game says "press right trigger for quiet takedown" but no matter how many times I press the trigger, whether I'm crouching, standing, moving toward him, pressing rapidly, none of it worked. It's clearly* bugged, so ...

Here's the part where it's revealed I had a problem with my controller, and this one isn't actually on the game. Last weekend I took my controller apart to clean it a bit (left joystick was not registering always), it wasn't too dirty inside -- on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "new controller" and 10 is "amiga keyboard" it was like a 2 or a 3 -- and when I put the screws back in I didn't secure them strongly enough, leading to the right trigger only depressing like 95% of the way I guess. It "felt" fine, and for the most part worked fine too! But, not quite perfectly...

Meanwhile I "corrected" the darkness issue by increasing my tv's brightness from 50 to 90 ... whatever, right? I wouldn't say ti's perfect, but at least I can somewhat see the darker areas now. I forced myself to complete the first mission, which actually I think is not really very good. I just started shooting everybody, and I got a terrible mission rating of "maniac" but I finished the level. Second mission was much improved -- not an award winner sure, but a lot better. I played it twice, so that I could get the "ghost" rating once I knew exactly where to go and what to do. I'm not sure how many more of the levels I'll finish, but at least I've gotten some playtime out of it now, and I am willing to adjust my score to a 3 / 10. An average game that loses a lot of points for shoddy configuration work, and also the AI is ... poorly implemented. I actually even had a guy materialize out of thin air -- so I walked int oa room and it was empty, did a look around the office, and then I turned around and a guy had magically appeared, down on one knee aiming his gun at the door I had originally entered. Very strange!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "new controller" and 10 is "amiga keyboard" it was like a 2 or a 3

I see what you did there.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.