GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been replaying Xcom 2, which I love to hate, and doing more experimenting with the game's weird RNG.

Specifically, changing the game's difficulty has little effect on action success percentages, as they are reported, but seems to have a hell of an effect on whether or not they succeed. Put simply, the lower the difficulty, the more often your shots land, regardless of what is shown on screen as a hit percentage. Most of the game's frustration stems from how often you miss shots; this is especially damning early on, when you don't have good equipment and skills.

The game instantly gets a hell of a lot harder when every other shot you take magically misses ;) On the flip side, I have seen occasions where the odd 1% shot actually landed, and critical'd at that.

Now if they'd have just fixed the god-awful load times....
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load times in general are one of the greatest killjoys in my current gaming life. (It's not a fair comparison because I was playing a 360 game on the XB1 via backcompat, but) I noticed this after finishing up Dark Souls 1 and then flirting with a fresh run of DS3 for a little bit. In DS1 dying sucked, but the load to retry was very quick, 4 or 5 seconds. In DS3 it wasn't unbearable, but sitting there for 15-20s waiting to try again after you die, argh.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. That is probably one of the worst aspects of the series for me, honestly. Load times are all-right, but they would be awesome if it were instant.

It might change the dynamic of the game a bit -- but I'm not convinced that would be a change for the worst though. :]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your friendly reminder that Monster Hunter is great. If you have the patience for the Souls games, you might like it too (for being hard but fair, and giving you reasons to revisit bosses).
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabbed Lord Of The Fallen from current steam offer. About 2h in. Like it so far. Plays a tiny bit different than Dark Souls(slightly different control scheme) but I don't see why people bash it just because it isn't Dark Souls. People complain about the dumb story and poor dialogue as well... pfft... don't care, playing it for the action/mechanics/visuals, not even listening to the lore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still kinda hate XCOM 2.

So, the original XCOMs (I'm talking DOS here) were about sending large squads in and having aliens mow them down. You send your fresh troops in to root out the ambushes and soak damage. Your experienced troops (i.e. the ones that didn't die immediately upon seeing an alien) would hang back and pound the aliens into dust while they were exposed, thereby gaining more experience, and becoming more powerful. A fresh supply of disposable grunts would be available between missions.

And that's cool and all. It's XCOM, and it's a fucking kick in the nuts. But fun.

Sooooooo.... the XCOM reboot a few years ago ditched that idea for having a much smaller squad of 4-6 troops. Without any cannon fodder to work with, you had to carefully scout the map and root out enemies and survive their ambushes. But the game was smart enough to let you take your time and carefully plan your advances, and prepare for moments of fuckitude, like when enemies drop onto the map without warning.

XCOM 2 shits the bed because almost every mission is timed, and I'm not joking about the "almost every mission" part. And the time limits are strict, usually 8-12 turns max to accomplish your objective, and sometimes escape as well. So now you are forced to rush the map and blindly run into ambushes, which gets your squad chewed up real fucking fast. Missing shots hurts because you cannot afford drawn-out firefights, and because incoming enemy fire can kill you quickly (as it always has in XCOM). There are special grenades you can toss to scout areas of the map, but good luck having enough turns to use them... and their range is limited.

I liked XCOM, and Terror From the Deep. I even liked the XCOM reboot. XCOM 2 is shit though. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Phoenix Point will be good again.

About 8h into Lords Of The Fallen, still enjoying the exploration, still ignoring everything in the game that isn't raw game-play (e.g. story/dialogue) or eye candy.

Also finished the first seven or eight missions in the PC version of the Space Hulk board game.

Compared to more modern strategy games it feels incredibly "basic/limited" in what one can do but I like that, as it does not overwhelm me with hundreds of different abilities and weapons to choose from. Each unit has very specific tasks/uses and despite the simplicity of the rules and skills, I still have to think a bit to solve each mission.

It plays more like a puzzle game than battle-strategy and one does not need to worry too much about any unit dying as long as the mission goals are met, they are alive again in the next mission/puzzle.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINOR SPOILER WARNING - I list a few of the types of missions you undertake in Fortnite

I have been playing Fortnite for about a week now. After beginning in the community of Stonywood (or whatever), I've completed the first step of the "quest journey," and once I did that we set off in a rocketship to travel to a new community called Plankerton. The only problem I have with this is -- Plankertoon looks an awfully lot like Stonytown.

Alright. Having come to grips with the fact that the only difference between Stonyville and Plankerotn is that one is the first tab of missions and the other is the second tab of missions, I set out to begin saving more lives and kill more zombies. There will be some new mission types in the new village, as a matter of fact, right away the next "quest" assignedyou the mission of completing "Fight the Storm Level 2," which is different from Fight the Storm the original. Let me give you a rough listing of the missions and how they work

Fight the Storm
You spent a few minutes searching the map for some kind of mechanical device.
Then you build a few walls around it, place a few traps, and defend it for 6-7 minutes.

Ride the Lightning
You spent a few minutes searching the map for a van.
Then you build a few walls around it, place a few traps, and defend it for 6-7 minutes.

Retrieve the Data
You spent a few minutes searching the map for a fallen satellite or something, which has files you gotta rescue.

I'll stop there, and it's only fair to mention there's a couple other modes, but one of them sucks, and the others are okay. Then there's also the new mode I just discovered, Fight the Storm 2....

Fight the Storm 2
You spent a few minutes searching the map for two copies of some kind of mechanical device.
Then you build a few walls around both of them, place a few traps, and defend both of them for 6-7 minutes.

Of course, like any good crafting or survival game, you need to scavenge for materials to build all of this stuff. You can chop down trees, smash rocks, destroy cars -- you can spend a lot of time doing these things, and you will! Looks like you're going to need some more duct tape to build those ceiling traps, buddy. Not a problem! All you need to create duct tape is some fibery herbs, which you can easily collect by standing next to this shrub and holding the X button down for 2 or 3 seconds. Done! Easy! Now, go on ahead and collect 30 or 40 more of them, then you'll be ready to make the duck tape!

How about just a couple of more jabs. Obviously the bottom line here is that there's a heavy element of repetition. Let's take a quick breather first, I'll talk about some things I do like about the game!

I like the building, of course. (I do not like spending 10 minutes smacking rocks with my pickaxe to get the materials I need...) The game is colorful -- not like the hundreds of drab brown and kind-of-green CoD lookalikes running around -- and areas are cool to explore, the houses are neat, etc. There is also a depression in seeing these, knowing that you the player can only make wood, stone of metal structures, nothing nearly as cool looking as the real houses in the game, let alone furniture and coloring and all sorts of would-be-fun things.

Also, although the shooting mechanics are not necessarily award-winning, I think the guns are reasonably fun to use. At the very least they are adequate, and I never feel like "oh goodness, why do I have to shoot things again?" (Well, unless I'm low on nuts and bolts and therefore can't craft any more ammo, but that's different.)

AND, it's very fair to add, that seeing the traps themselves do their thing, it's pretty neat too. I'm not sure how much variety there is them, or if I'll unlock more later that I haven't seen, but the ones I have now are fun.

I promised / threatened a couple of more jabs, not counting the handful I snuck into the compliments section. After some time, it starts to become harder to increase the power of your character, because you have to spend increasingly large xp points on your "survivor team," which are basically playing cards that you put in various slots, like "technician" "engineer" and such. It's a complicated mess, but once you get a vague understanding of how it works, you can deal with it. But, like I was saying, eventually it gets hadrer to level them up, and so your "power level" starts to plateau. You can work around this issue by teaming up with other players, as everyone has a set of "shared with team" stats like "my team gets +50 health" for example. This is a reasonable solution, except for the fact that... you therefore must play with other people, which is great if you have friends to play it with (I do sometimes), but sometimes you'll be trying to "Fight the Storm Level 2", and you're thinking "gee, this is kind of hard, I'm almost dead" and then you look at your map and you see one of the players halfway across the map doing nothing but chopping down trees while you and the others try to hold down the fort, and then you see in the postgame screen that 3 players had 789, 589, and 629 zombie kill scores, and then one player mysteriously has 29, meanwhile he also mysteriously has a "item gather" score of 4892, and so maybe you gotta send him a couple of messages, I don't know.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizon is very good, in general, but falls prey to the cancerous habit of forcing you to hold down buttons to trigger simple interactions.

For example, picking up resources is a single press of the triangle button. But claiming resources from a body requires holding down the button. This even occurs in vendor menus, even though they all feature a buy-back option at no loss. And resources are so abundant that simple mistakes are almost always of no consequence. It's amazing how much time you waste holding buttons. I blame Destiny for helping to perpetuate this faggotry. It's inventing a solution to a problem that largely doesn't exist.

The game's UI feels polished, at least visually, but the interactions are all over the place. It's a shame, as it makes the game's input feel muddy and unrefined. It feels like separate teams worked on each part of the game's interface, and there was no overarching vision to keep things cohesive.

Saving the game is really nice, though. Press triangle at a camp fire to trigger a quick-save (essentially save to slot zero with no confirmation request), or press square to go to a traditional save menu. More games need that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese demo of Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) is out on Nintendo Switch, so...

EDIT: Ah, looks like my capture device didn't have color ranges set properly (blacks shouldn't be so crushed). Should be fixed for future streams. Also lowered the FPS (60->30) to hopefully remove some of the blur.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.