GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! So last night (xmas) I put a few more hours in to the Monster Hunter World demo. I managed to meet my original goal of the demo: killing or capturing all 3 monsters on the map within the demo's 20 minute time limit. Practically speaking that was only doable thanks to the bonus weaker-tier monsters that came with the latest demo, so it was a matter of waiting for the right RNG (random) spawn pattern that could be done solo.

Starting with the Wildspire Wastes (desert) map, here's the triple in just under 15 minutes.

And finally, the Ancient Forest, at just under 19 minutes.

*phew*, than 2nd run was really tough. Took me over an hour before I got the right combination of RNG and fighting well.

I did the Wildspire Wastes run in about 16 minutes earlier in the weekend, but it wasn't a very interesting run (clumsy, felt almost accidental). Once the RNG was on my side, I got it first try.

If we happen to get another demo weekend, as far as I'm concerned, all I have left is to finish a Solo Rathalos or Solo Diablos hunt. Alas the Rathalos doesn't fight like he used to (flies way too much), and the Diablos hits like a truck (typical 2 hit kill), so it's pretty tough. Well it's tough with a Melee weapon. I could probably beat both with a Bow, but what's the fun in that? ;)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a dragon now. To get a draogn, the only way is to sneak into their nests and steal an egg, then hatch it on your own. Needless to say mama and papa dragon aren't very happy when you take an egg. It's surprisingly exciting / exhilirating to be snooping through their home area, constantly on the lookout for a dragon that's getting too close... and then you find and egg, grab it, and you're just run, run, run.. (well, fly...)

The only downside is that I took a pretty low-level egg, so basically my draogn is a scrub for a while. Can't fly for too long, lower HP, etc. Also, I kind of sort of cheated to raise him, because you're supposed to render a female dragon unconscious and steal her bottled milk in order to feed baby dragon... however I merely placed a healing-buff dinosaur next to baby dragon and that worked.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another dragon, she breathes poison (poison dragon). One problem I'll need some time to adjust to - the poison can kill me, I almost killed myself the one time I used it against a helpless bird, I guess I was too close and got caught in the mist. Also, I kind-of sort-of earned this dragon, you see, I spent a lot of time researching and creating a dragon trap. Then I spent a lot of time finding a female dragon (only the females have milk) - I'm kind of convinced that the reason dragons went extinct is because they ran out of females. But I did find one finally, unfortunately she was a lightning dragon. These are obviously the worst, as their lightning from their mouth is hideously painful. It took a very frustratingly long time to lure the dragon into my trap, and when I finally got her attention long enough to follow me, I almost got killed by the lightning. It did work though, and I used the tranquilizer gun to knock her out and steal her milk, then I just flew away on my barely-alive griffin ASAFP.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which game? Ark? :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's still Ark for me, for now. Now that I have 20 meter tall rock giants and fire / poison breathing dragons though, at some point you run out of things to grab up. I started thinking about going underwater for the first (meaningful) time, so I acquired a shark and a couple of dolphins. Regrettably the lower parts of the ocean are full of some real dangerous creatures, like these electric eels that almost killed me both times I went down too far. There's a giant squid guy - would loooove to have one, but might be impossible. There's like a larger whale/turtle/? hybrid dinosaur, like a big big guy but when I thought about trying to get him, there was a bunch of sharks that wanted to kill me. Too many damned sharks in the water, can't get away from them. Then I went and got my shark killed by devil rays... I wanted to feed the "basilosaurus" they were hanging out with, but there were too many devil rays and my shark is now shark meat. I wasn't surprised, but it still sucks. We're also running into a lot of game crash issues near my friend's home base. None of the potential workarounds (gfx settings, mainly) have fixed it, and it's tough to get hyped up for mission ideas when you're wasting 5 minutes logging back into the server, 5-10 minutes getting your stuff back, etc. Our last mission was into the ice caves, where these giant worms come out of the ground that can kill us in 1 hit, maybe 2. The recommended strategy is to have one player go in with a shield, and the other player can shoot a gun from back where they're safe. This can work, we killed one worm this way, but my shield only had 5% durability left afterward. I suggested he try using his rocket launcher on the next couple of worms, and it turns out that it just isn't a very good idea to be holding a shield in front of a giant worm when a rocket explodes. The worm may have a lot of HP, but I sure don't.

p.s. tried out a budget title I downloaded for xbox called "Valley." Haven't played much, but it's input lag hell from hell ... I've never seen anything quite like it. I very rarely notice input lag in games, but it took half a second just to start looking around, or jump. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll fix itself next time I boot up the machine.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did capture a "basilosaurus" this time. It's a whale-ish thing, like a slender whale probably 50 or 60 feet in length. This one was in a shallow river near my base, so I took a tyrannosaurus down and used it to kill off the dozen or so devil rays that were hanging out with the whale guy. (They like to hang out with him because when the whale eats, well I dont' know there's blood everywhere and I guess they like to drink it?) Either way, the whale himself is not hostile, and all you gotta to do earn his trust is feed him a few pieces of meat. This proved adequately easy after using t-rex to eliminate all hostiles.

I want to put together a small shark army, but I think it'll take a while. I had 2 last night, but one of them died while I was trying to get them into my (too small) safe zone for my fishes. Basicallly more sharks showed up while I was trying to get the idiots through the right door. Lame. In the middle of this skirmish, a couple of my gigantic rock monster guys up on the plateau where I built my base, they saw I was fighting and had the genius idea that they should jump down in the water and join in. Now, they can't take fall damage and they also have infinite oxygen (I guess it makes sense that rocks don't need to breathe), but nonetheless it's a definite inconvenience. At least they didn't fall into the fish pen itself, just outside of it. On top of all of this, I actually aggravated a hostile rock monster at one point, and he.... followed me to right outside my fish zone, then just went back into hibernation. It was not especially easy to lure him back out of the water, so that I don't forget about him and aggravate him again with a helpless dolphin or something more valuable.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you describe these adventures makes it seem to me like you should be streaming your Ark sessions. :]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I think. It doesn't matter that I don't have any viewers. I like having a record of play so I can assemble a highlight reel (for my own amusement, or to show to friends).

'cmon, SOMEBODY has to waste Google's hard drive space. ;)
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a fairly recent episode of "Stay Forever"(my favorite german podcast about classics in gaming), they talked about "Castlevania - Symphony Of The Night". The things they had to say seemed interesting enough for me to give it a go, to fill that big gap in my gaming history where/when I should have played any of the Castlevania games but never did, except on the NES(emu), couple of minutes each but not when they were originally released and so they were too clunky to grab my attention for long.

Symphony Of The Night is different. From the start on, it feels well designed, well presented and highly polished and the controls feel all good and smooth. I'm a huge sucker for Dark Souls and as painful as it might be by now to see games being described as "SoulsLike", that is what first came to mind when I started playing it (PSOne version via epsxe). Maybe Dark Souls should rather be described as SymphonyOfTheNightLike though. Anyway, the point is, I'm hooked and look forward to exploring Dracula's Castle and finding all the relics and hidden content(which they talked about in the podcast).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love SOTN. :)

It's not the perfect game or anything (backdash-cancel-what), but there's a very good reason we call that genre Metroidvanias.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time playing through SOTN? Awesome! It's a very good game -- as are all the GBA/DS 'vanias, too :]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Lots of good gaming to keep you busy.

Here's hoping Bloodstained (spiritual sequel from original designer) is good.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep sea exploration continues to be a mixed bag. I lost a dolphin to some electric eels because I want way to the bottom of the ocean and they got mad. Last time I got away, but this time it was a higher level eel and he did too much damage at one time. Oh yeah, reason for going down there was to try to find weapon blueprint in treasure boxes, but I never found any. Not sure how long you'd have to look to find em - there's a lot of ocean floor.

On the plus side, I got lucky and captured a plesiosaur. Here's what he looks like, and he's actually pretty fast (even though he's big, he has some speed, probably faster than the shark)

Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a SQUID!!!!! A GIABNT SQUID!! I am talkign like he's the kraken type of thing, he's enormous!!! I haven't ride him yet, because I ran out of "knowledge points" which you get as you level up to learn how to build "wooden wall" "raptor saddle" etc. and I can't afford the squid saddle atm. But, there's a way to reset your points just once, and I will do that SOON. Then, I will take command of the majestic, incredible, giant squid known to all as eight.ways which is because he has 8 ways to kill the other fish, and he'll only need one.......................
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the squid is quite great - I used the reset potion so I could reallocate my points, and I can ride him now - he isn't quite the invincible juggernaut I had dreamed of. He's totally strong, and really great, but... the electic eels in the game are total BS. I actually came dangerously close to getting my amazing squid killed which would have obviously been incredibly demoralizing. I'm not too sure what I'll do about those eels. Maybe I can find some way to counter them better, but so far my opinion is that they're a terrible obstalce to any meaningful exploration, because they're very dangerous (they stun you, slow you, hurt you, etc.) and on top of that, they seem to be everywhere. Now sure if you're on a dolphin you can sneak past them... as long as they don't see you and/or you do see them in the first place, and if any of em sneak up on you then you're very literally dead in the water... but on the squid, it's kind of hard to sneak through a crowded grocery aisle when you're driving a gaint squid. So from what I figure, you pretty much gotta fight them. I'll keep leveling up the HP on this guy so he can take more and more of a electrocution, but .. ugh. It might turn out that I need a different dinosaur for the fighting/exploration of the lower sea levels, something a little more mobile or something? The squid has a special move where he can grab a enemy in his tentacles and put it to sleep, and perhaps the true value of this squid will be to kidnap an even stronger dinosaur from way down at the bottom of the ocean, so I can make him my friend too - hoping for a friend that can really chow down on those eels without a care in the world.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

status of exploration (getting that sword required a really tricky long distance jump... had to try it quite a few times):

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia senses tingling.

I'll refrain from spoilers as best I can.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good. I remember the menu color being less purple and more blue. I forget, was it customizable? Am I misremembering? :]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I upped the red component a little.

status update, explored quite a bit more but need sleep now and also, I'm out of ideas where to go now, couple of open spaces on the map but none that I can reach at the moment, so I'll have to revisit known areas to see if anything has changed tomorrow:

Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little bit of practice I've gotten much more efficient at using the squid to kill packs of electric eels. That's good, much better than having them taking 10% of my health per pack and also my squid has been leveled up to have more health - but they're still a significant nuisance. You have to keep looking out for them, so traveling around looking for stuff takes longer.

Little story about how I got the squid: the only way to capture a squid is to drive up to him on something, let him grab that something in his tentacles, and then feed him some pearls while he's playing with your dinosaur. (Playing being killing, of course, so you gotta hurry) The first time I tried with a dolphin, that didn't cut it... dolphin died real fast and then I couldn't feed the pearls. So I went in with a mid level shark, and it worked. So the shark survived (squid now is my friend, he lets him go) and to tell you just how much I respected and appreciated that shark's services, I immediately bolted for the surface of the water, asking the squid to follow me, and completely abandoned the shark for dead. Well, I would have liked him to follow along too, but he was too far away - he didn't hear me whistle at him, and I wasn't going back for him. Today though, I decided perhaps a rescue mission in order, because I never saw any messages about that shark getting killed. Sure enough I found him down there, cleared out some eels, etc. and then I figured hey, the shark is a nice guy that's been helping me out, he can tag along while me and the squid explore the bottom of the ocean.

That's when I found out (and/or remembered reading about) the concept of the alpha squid, which is like a champion pack version of a squid. (e.g. the "alpha" raptor is much stronger, more dangerous than the normal raptor) Well, my dear friend the shark really had the best of intentions, but sure enough as I put my squid rapidly into reverse and made for anywhere but here, "your shark has been killed by an alpha squid" good knowing him, I'll always appreciate his help!

Also I have now used the squid to capture some new friends, the "dunklesteus" which is like a slightly larger shark with a lot of body armor... and very slow, so he sucks and I'll probably never use him for much. But, I also captured the mosasaur, which is some kind of fairly darned large water dino that is really good at eating other fish, of any size. It's a low level version so I'll have to grind some xp levels, but it's a great addition - perhaps something that can explore faster, and kill eels more efficient. (Very much hoping...)
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the backtracking is a bit tiring but at the same time it feels satisfying to get easy kills on enemies which were tough upon earlier encounters.

Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is upside down and flipped now... and the rooms with the gears and the golden flying medusa heads just made me rage quit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, you found the route to the true ending. I forgot about the medusa heads, but yeah, they can be super annoying.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought it was going to be trying to do the input for Dark Metamorphosis that was going to cause the rage quit. :]

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.