GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do The Division. Just can't stand the game. btw I gave up on it about 6 hours after I last mentioned it.

I haven't touched AC Origins in a couple weeks. It does a lot of things well but I just don't feel like playing it.

I picked up cheap copy of ME Andromeda, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm guessing I'm benefitting from the various fixes they did since the game came out a while ago. Probably will take me a while to go through it, just playing it casually.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is reasonably fun. There's not a lot of depth to it - find base, kill bad guys, pick up [thing], repeat, but the controls work pretty well and most of the vehicles are pretty cool. (But I can be easily impressed, I'm obsessed with driving vehicles in video games, especially tractors and stuff.) I also curse at the game quite a bit though, and there's some really lame collision bugs, like one time I pressed the "climb" button near a train car, and my player climbed through the wall of the train car, and got stuck inside behind some large box. And I've also gotten stuck at least twice while trying to climb a mountain, and somewhere falling in a spot where I couldn't escape. So that's pretty lame, but overall it's a good enough time so far.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to rage pretty hard playing Wildlands today. It was horrible. I spent a fair amount of time sneaking through this rock mining facility, took out most of the enemies without being seen, but then right toward the end apparently they found a body. And when that happened, the manager of the place (just some accountant or something) got scared jumped in a car and drove off, and I failed the mission because I had to interrogate him. Sucked!!!! So I tried it again - I got about halfway clear, didn't bother being too thorough and just focused on the manager. It actually went sideways at that point and the @#$@$@# jumped in the car again, but I got in at the same time so he got back out. I then grabbed him by the neck and dragged him into a building so I could interrogtae him while not dying due to helicpter shooting at me. After that I suddenly had to drive to a place 1.0km+ away on a time limit, and I barely made it - but I made it! So I free some kind of hostage, and the next step is I have to extract this guy to yet some other place, but there weren't any vehicles right nearby to drive him in. Almost immediately yetmore bad guys show up (ughhhh!!!!) and I put up a valiant fight, but ultimately got killed by the enemies. And then naturally it @#$@#ing spawns me @#$@#ing back at the @#$@#ing rock quarry, where I have to do @#$@#ing everything over again.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to clarify that it's a really fun game, but @#$@$@#
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when parachuting almost works but then goes horribly wrong :(

PoV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. ;)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the rock quarry mission and I was able to beat it this time. I am still a little bit sour on the mission design, because it doesn't give you any warning that you're going to have to suddenly have a timer to get somewhere or that there's gonna be a bunch of bad guys when you get there, etc. so in my case it came down to "try it and fail to learn the requirements" which is a bummer. I had another mission do something similar today, so maybe I need to adapt and expect at any time a mission could turn into a "chase this guy in the car you don't have ready" or some such thing.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlands is fun so long as you have a helicopter.

Wildlands is a slog so long as you do not have a helicopter.

That is all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After completing the story mode (with Charge Blade), I've started using the Bow again in Monster Hunter World. Finally feeling comfortable with it (i.e. I'm actually doing a respectable amount of damage).

In the endgame now. I believe I'm Hunter Rank 47, just 2 more until the next rank barrier. Then the final barrier is at rank 100. Honestly I'm not sure I'll get that far, but I'll certainly still play some after breaking 50+. After going Bow, the HR 29 barrier was easy (got wrecked with Charge Blade, heh).

I almost have all top tier weapons for Charge Blade. Bow I have nearly half.
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Beat the Tempered Kirin (lightning horse). It used to be able to one shot us, but I put together a build with high Lightning Resistance. My rank is now 51. Technically I'm ahead of my usual co-horts I play with. That'll be fun news to share.

All that's left is one crazy fight at rank 100 (that we know of). There's still stuff to unlock. Again, I'm not yet convinced I'll make it that high, not unless the Tempered Elder Dragon farming is super valuable (1-2 levels each), because that's pretty much what the game is now.

If there is something beyond 100, there's no way I'm getting it.

Yay.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I am at HR4 feeling like I am making great progress. :]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I put nearly 120 hours in to the game, so. ;)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have killed so many Anjanaths just to make this full set.

Iím guessing I will do the same repeatedly as new tiers of gear become available?

Lots of grinding! Iím hoping monsters become more varied or something, because right now just standing at their feet and dark souls slash/roll/repeat seems to do the trick and Iím growing slightly less enamored with the combat the more I play.

Should I stop gearing up again after each story mission and just truck through? :]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unlike the old games, you don't need complete sets to get useful skills. So for me I didn't need to grind monsters much (maybe a couple times for weapons). My sets in Low rank were just whatever had high defence, and then I came up with a set in early high rank that I used all the way to the end game (I still use it when I play Charge Blade, though I main Bow now in the end-game).

I guess my main advice is don't get too technical with low rank armor (get what you need to survive). High rank armors will take you all the way to the end. That's where the real crafting fun begins.

Every few rank ups, the defense cap of armor goes up (i.e. armor spheres raise defense to a cap). So if you're happy with a set, it will grow with you.
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the main story of Wildlands, defeated all the underbosses and the main boss. There's apparently an alternate ending I can do, as well as approximately 1200 remaining icons on the world map that I can collect if I want. Overall it was quite fun, quite a steal for the price I got it during black fryday.

Unsure of what's next. I hopped on Ark last night to feed my dinosaurs, and I had to put more gas in the power generator. apparently it had only very recently run out, because only a little bit of the food in the refrigerator had spoiled, most of it was still ok. But, I got tired of the lousy drop rates doing the frozen cave run, and even the lava cave area boss was pretty hit or miss with what he dropped - and that's if you were willing to put in the 60+ minutes you need to spend preparing (parachuts, grappling hooks, shotgun ammo, rockets, rocket launchers, food, antidotes, bug spray, armor, backup armor, and always a couple I forget). So I'm pretty meh on it now.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get back to wildlands, but I've got a pile of games I'm almost, but not quite, done with. So I'll get there eventually.

I do like that Wildlands was a complete game and not some Destiny/Division crap where the game never quite goes anywhere, other than encouraging you to do the same fucking thing over and over again for years at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powered through the Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap remake on Nintendo Switch yesterday. I haven't beat it, but I am near the end.

It's actually not a bad Metroidvania. Controls are a bit clunky/slippery (like the original), but once you get in the groove it's not bad.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Okay, so what are we playing right now? Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.